The Student Room Group

University Life

Hey, I am liking university but the long weeks, late finishes and literally no breaks in between is so overwhelming at the moment, I actually don't know how I am going to cope, while my family jet off on holiday and I am stuck here studying. Don't get my wrong I love my subject and I love my uni and I love commuting, but the long days and late finishes are beginning to take its toll on me. I want to work really hard because I want to be a physician when I grow up. I didn't get into medicine so am taking an alternative course, so in order to get into that job, but the university days are SO long and I don't want to give up on my dream over some long university hours. Any advice would be GREATLY Appreciated. Thanks.
Hi there, MMU student rep Molly here :smile:

Firstly, I just wanted to express that what you're feeling is extremely common and something people don't speak about enough. Adapting to uni life can be tricky in every sense, whether that's socially, academically or financially.
From your post I can already tell that you are very driven and self-motivated which is fab, keep digging into this when you start to feel overwhelmed and remind yourself why it's worth it. I also think you need to be kind to yourself and reward yourself for following through with those tough, long days. Find something that you can look forward to after a long day at uni whether it's going out with friends, making your favourite dinner or having a long shower.
Making friendships on your course will also help hugely if you haven't found some already. Speaking from my own experiences I've found that my friends really pull me through those lengthy days because they add laughter and fun to my day.

I really hope this adds some value to your experience, good luck with everything <3
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, I am liking university but the long weeks, late finishes and literally no breaks in between is so overwhelming at the moment, I actually don't know how I am going to cope, while my family jet off on holiday and I am stuck here studying. Don't get my wrong I love my subject and I love my uni and I love commuting, but the long days and late finishes are beginning to take its toll on me. I want to work really hard because I want to be a physician when I grow up. I didn't get into medicine so am taking an alternative course, so in order to get into that job, but the university days are SO long and I don't want to give up on my dream over some long university hours. Any advice would be GREATLY Appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

Sorry to hear this, my main piece of advice on this is give yourself the time to get use to everything. At the start I remember finding everything overwhelming and daunting, but once you make a routine it is a lot easier to get use to.

You soon find out the best ways to manage your time and if you require any support I am sure the university will help with this. I would maybe advise getting in contact with your personal tutor and speaking with them about this if this feeling continues. As they may be able to provide some tips on how to manage your time/feel less overwhelmed.

Something to maybe remember is the end goal you want out of this which is to be a physician, so maybe remind yourself of that and how it will be worth it in the end.

Maybe make some plans during the week or at the weekend as something to look forward to which could be seen as a little reward once you've done your lectures for the week.

As Molly said about friends if you can speak to some if you have made some already you may find that they are feeling the same as you which I find can always make you feel more at ease knowing you are not alone.

Hope that helps, good luck with your time at uni :smile:

Rebecca
3rd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student

Hey there!

It sounds to me like you're feeling a bit burnt out. Unfortunately that is just part of the real working-world. It happens to the best of us and it's a natural thing after doing the same thing for so long. My advice for dealing with burnout is to make sure you're establishing a clear work-life balance. Once you've finished your long days and can give yourself that break, put uni to the back of your mind and clear it from your thoughts. If you love your subject, the work is just what comes with it unfortunately. It's probably a big change from A Levels where you had free periods all the time. Make sure you're surrounding yourself with a good support system and lean on your friends for support when you're feeling overwhelmed.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hi there,

As the other posts have already mentioned - you're incredibly driven. That's already half of the battle completed! :biggrin: But, as with anything else in life, trying to get through text and forcing your way through reading for hours on end will not do you any good. Now, for my humble advice:

Take Breaks! If anyone deserves them, it's clearly you! Somedays, you'll be absolutely in the mood to do and understand all the work you have on hand - and that'll be great! Keep at it. But, if you find yourself struggling, rereading the text over and over, without stopping - then just get up after 20-30 mins and walk, breathe, drink - just get your mind off the task. Weirdly enough, by stopping for a bit, you'll be productive for longer.
Also, try and set realistic goals which are possible to you. Don't compare yourself and your progess to others - it literally does noone any good. Break up your work, into smaller, manageable tasks.
Sleep. This I can't stress enough. Get a nice routine going. If you want an advantage over others - this is unfortunately one of the best, easiest, and nicest ways of doing so (I say unfortunately since it's tragic how many students go to bed after midnight)! Try and limit your long nights - understand and be kind to yourself that you tried. From my humble opinon, you deserve to treat yourself well - and with sleep, it's well documented that it's nothing but the best for physical health, mental health, and for learning more intricately.
https://www.med.upenn.edu/csi/the-impact-of-sleep-on-learning-and-memory.html
If you only take away one thing from my advice - please let it be thisssss. Sleep!! Take care of yourselff!!
Talk to others. Cliche - but true. I love venting, it releases this weight that burdens you and ultimately gives you a clearer mind. By processing your thoughts, and talking it over, you can help yourself get insightful ways of improving your situation - or understanding if anything needs to change.

I completely understand that university can be challenging, so I'm incredibly happy to hear that you're staying focused on your goals. Remember that you are not alone and that there are many people who can support you along the way.

I wish you the best of luck in your studies and I can't wait to hear from you when you become a physician. :wink:

Warm regards,

David :smile:
University of Kent Representative

1. You are grown up, you are at university!
2. Studying at university is massively easier that working. Consider this training for work.

It seems like you are living at home and commuting, consider living closer to the university in your second year.

It's very normal to feel overwhelmed at first and feel like life back home is just carrying on without you. You'll soon get into your own flow and things will start to feel more manageable as you get used to your routine. Uni can be tough at times, ensure you're taking enough breaks and time for yourself to enjoy the other side of it too.
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there,

As the other posts have already mentioned - you're incredibly driven. That's already half of the battle completed! :biggrin: But, as with anything else in life, trying to get through text and forcing your way through reading for hours on end will not do you any good. Now, for my humble advice:

Take Breaks! If anyone deserves them, it's clearly you! Somedays, you'll be absolutely in the mood to do and understand all the work you have on hand - and that'll be great! Keep at it. But, if you find yourself struggling, rereading the text over and over, without stopping - then just get up after 20-30 mins and walk, breathe, drink - just get your mind off the task. Weirdly enough, by stopping for a bit, you'll be productive for longer.
Also, try and set realistic goals which are possible to you. Don't compare yourself and your progess to others - it literally does noone any good. Break up your work, into smaller, manageable tasks.
Sleep. This I can't stress enough. Get a nice routine going. If you want an advantage over others - this is unfortunately one of the best, easiest, and nicest ways of doing so (I say unfortunately since it's tragic how many students go to bed after midnight)! Try and limit your long nights - understand and be kind to yourself that you tried. From my humble opinon, you deserve to treat yourself well - and with sleep, it's well documented that it's nothing but the best for physical health, mental health, and for learning more intricately.
https://www.med.upenn.edu/csi/the-impact-of-sleep-on-learning-and-memory.html
If you only take away one thing from my advice - please let it be thisssss. Sleep!! Take care of yourselff!!
Talk to others. Cliche - but true. I love venting, it releases this weight that burdens you and ultimately gives you a clearer mind. By processing your thoughts, and talking it over, you can help yourself get insightful ways of improving your situation - or understanding if anything needs to change.

I completely understand that university can be challenging, so I'm incredibly happy to hear that you're staying focused on your goals. Remember that you are not alone and that there are many people who can support you along the way.

I wish you the best of luck in your studies and I can't wait to hear from you when you become a physician. :wink:

Warm regards,

David :smile:
University of Kent Representative

PRSOM!

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
(edited 6 months ago)

Anon,

It's great to hear that you like university and it's definitely tough to stay motivated when you're family are off on holiday(!) and you are stuck working, but remember you will have the long summer break where hopefully you will have the opportunity to travel and to enjoy the time off! Make sure that you make nice plans for yourself for the holidays so that you have something to look forward to on those long and tiring days.

This term might be busy, but next term might be less busy. It all depends on how modules are scheduled, so try to think of it as being busy at this moment in time, but not forever.

Do you get a reading week? If yes, do take the time to rest and to switch off from your studies. It's great that you have enthusiasm and commitment, but you could be putting unnecessary pressure on yourself to gets lots of work done, when for now, you just need to find a sustainable and manageable routine.

For long days, you need to keep your energy levels up and you need to stay hydrated, so do make sure that you are not just running off caffeine/ not eating properly. Planning ahead for those long days will mean that you don't have to waste time looking for lunch e.g. you could bring lunch from home.
Eating well is also important as vitamin or mineral deficiencies can cause tiredness. If you can read notes on your commute, do so, but when you get home, rest. You need to mentally rest your mind, so do have something nice to look forward to when you get home. Maybe that's watching a movie, listening to music or catching up on the latest sports news. As has been said try and get into a good sleep routine. This means that you do need to stop working before you sleep so that you can gradually wind down. Make the most of any days off in the week/weekends to plan for the week ahead, and to get work done, but make sure you block out time to rest.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending