The Student Room Group

Choosing a degree

Does the university name matter more or the degree when it comes to breaking into finance? Like for example, what if I do international relations at a Russel uni in ldn.
Original post by Skittles_beans
Does the university name matter more or the degree when it comes to breaking into finance? Like for example, what if I do international relations at a Russel uni in ldn.

Identifying which university is the best place of study is essential taking into consideration student life, accommodation, success rate the way and the manner your perspective course will be taught social life etc. at the same time the degree matters the most if it near or more has the relevance to the field you wish to go into provided you successfully complete the degree there’s no reason to why you can not break into finance.
Original post by Mohammed_80
Identifying which university is the best place of study is essential taking into consideration student life, accommodation, success rate the way and the manner your perspective course will be taught social life etc. at the same time the degree matters the most if it near or more has the relevance to the field you wish to go into provided you successfully complete the degree there’s no reason to why you can not break into finance.

Do you have any recommendations on the best non Russel unis for econ/finance/accounting? I heard city is good but not so sure about the social aspect
Do you have any recommendations on the best non Russel unis for econ/finance/accounting? I heard city is good but not so sure about the social aspect

So what I would do is obviously I would have a look at some open days that university happen to offer for economics/finance and accounting I would also utilise the support team and ask what social life is like. The facilities and resources available to you curriculum activities and extra curricular activities if you’ll be accommodating or relocating the nearby food and drink places etc. Try have a look at:

London school of economics
Kings College London
City University of London
Queen Mary University of London
Royal Holloway University of London

Factors to consider into these 5 universities:

Course structure and lectures
Facilities
Campus Locations and Distance
Extra Curriculum and Curricular Activities
Social Life
Accommodation
Travel and Transport
(edited 8 months ago)

Hey @Skittles_beans,

@Mohammed_80 has summed up the process of choosing the right university perfectly! Based on my experience, the finance industry usually welcomes students from all kinds of universities and diverse courses. If you're leaning towards a finance career, it might be worth checking out the university's career support offerings (like alumni support etc) and see if they have well-regarded finance societies. At Lancaster, for instance, there is a VERY ACTIVE investing and finance society that organizes events where many recruiters participate.

Remember, when picking a university, the social environment is also crucial. Attending open days and having conversations with current students can give you a deeper understanding. I'd suggest using Unibuddy to connect with present students from various universities.

Hope this was helpful!
Shaheer (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Here’s a link provided to you for the 5 named universities especially and it’s open day since your a perspective undergraduate you filter the search result for undergraduate open days only:

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/open-days/search/queen-mary-university-of-london

https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/student-life/visit-royal-holloway/open-days/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending