The Student Room Group

Where to study physics that isn't in a big city and a whole bunch of other questions!

Hello everyone, my name is Aithne, and I have to confess I am posting this on behalf of my son with additional needs who has just started 6th Form but very much knows that he wants to study Physics at degree level here in the UK.

We are Irish immigrants (I studied Psychology back at home) and we moved to the Midlands a couple of years ago so my son conducted his GCSEs here and within this time was also diagnosed with having Aspergers and the innattentive-type of ADHD (not hyperactive). He very much wishes to stay here to complete a Phsyics degree but he very much struggles with large cities (we are self-confessed culchies, haha!). Does anyone here study Physics in a smaller city? However, do smaller city universities still have wide-ranging societies? Him being Irish and Catholic are core components of his identity and he tends to gravitate towards people who share this so I think societies where these are available will help his transition to uni life.

As well as his love of Physics (especially nuclear) and Erin, he has enjoyed being a part of his school's CCF (RAF) and I wondered if CCF exists at universities? Or how he could still be involved in military service whilst at uni?

I know I probably look a bit pathetic as a ma asking on behalf of her almost-grown lad, but after him saying that he didn't know where to start with what unis to consider and me texting him all the time (he is a boarding student) to remind him to sign up here and ask, because of his ADHD he repeatedly forgets. I understand that it is highly improbable that any one person would be able to answer all my questions but any help at all would be very, very gratefully received.

Thanks a million,
Aithne

Edited to include his predicted grades: AAB/ABB
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
hi - What grades is your son targeting and do you have any idea of the maximum distance from home which might work for him?
Original post by ajj2000
hi - What grades is your son targeting and do you have any idea of the maximum distance from home which might work for him?

Hi there, he is anticipated AAB/ABB. Distance from home isn't too much of a problem though I think he would prefer to be in the north of England, mainly because Irish communities appear to be more prominent here, though we are found all over!
Thanks for your response,
Aithne
Original post by AithneOMurchadha
Hello everyone, my name is Aithne, and I have to confess I am posting this on behalf of my son with additional needs who has just started 6th Form but very much knows that he wants to study Physics at degree level here in the UK.

We are Irish immigrants (I studied Psychology back at home) and we moved to the Midlands a couple of years ago so my son conducted his GCSEs here and within this time was also diagnosed with having Aspergers and the innattentive-type of ADHD (not hyperactive). He very much wishes to stay here to complete a Phsyics degree but he very much struggles with large cities (we are self-confessed culchies, haha!). Does anyone here study Physics in a smaller city? However, do smaller city universities still have wide-ranging societies? Him being Irish and Catholic are core components of his identity and he tends to gravitate towards people who share this so I think societies where these are available will help his transition to uni life.

As well as his love of Physics (especially nuclear) and Erin, he has enjoyed being a part of his school's CCF (RAF) and I wondered if CCF exists at universities? Or how he could still be involved in military service whilst at uni?

I know I probably look a bit pathetic as a ma asking on behalf of her almost-grown lad, but after him saying that he didn't know where to start with what unis to consider and me texting him all the time (he is a boarding student) to remind him to sign up here and ask, because of his ADHD he repeatedly forgets. I understand that it is highly improbable that any one person would be able to answer all my questions but any help at all would be very, very gratefully received.

Thanks a million,
Aithne

Lancaster is I think a bit more of a campus uni I gather so might be an option. UCLan I don't think is in a very big city either although I'll admit, I'm not super familiar with the north as a whole! Hard to tell though how big a city is too big in this case. In general it's probably just worth looking at broadly good universities in the north and midlands and seeing if a) he meets the requirements grade/subject wise and b) the city/campus suits. Some others to consider in that vein might include York, Sheffield, or Nottingham perhaps. If his predicted grades stretch up above the suggest range above, then maybe also Birmingham/Warwick could be in the mix.

Also if you don't mind looking really far north into another country, in Scotland there may be some appealing options - Dundee and Aberdeen for example, or maybe St Andrews if his grades skew a bit higher than expected in his final predictions. Likewise going sideways into Wales there might be some smaller unis or campus unis of interest.

Depending on what his concerns are with a big city though this may or may not be completely evaded by going to a uni in a smaller city or a campus uni. As inevitably, universities themselves are very busy locations with lots of students all about, big crowds and so on campus in the middle of the day and such. If it's less about that and more about preferring a more rural environment then that might be easier to work around :smile:

He may also be interested in the Open University's OpenPlus scheme, which has a physics stream - basically you do the first part of the degree with the OU, then transfer (by right, and not just by chance! it's part of a formal transfer scheme) to one of their "brick uni" partners (which includes some quite good unis for physics in the north and midlands - although some in larger cities perhaps). Obviously OU study, being fully distance learning and usually with an assumption the student is living at home at the time (as not entitled to maintenance loans usually) is not for everyone, but it may be something to consider!
Reply 4
Hi there, he is anticipated AAB/ABB. Distance from home isn't too much of a problem though I think he would prefer to be in the north of England, mainly because Irish communities appear to be more prominent here, though we are found all over!
Thanks for your response,
Aithne

Loughborough, Lancaster and Keele spring to mind. It might be worth checking out what support they offer. I know I've read threads by parents with similar considerations but can't remember where or whether anyone found good solutions.
Reply 5

Thanks a million,
Aithne

What about Lancaster.I will call in the expert @Ghostlady and let's see what she says What sort of grades is he predicted
Reply 6
Original post by Scotney
What about Lancaster.I will call in the expert @Ghostlady and let's see what she says What sort of grades is he predicted

@Lancaster Student Ambassador
Reply 7
Maybe Keele?

He'll have to find a solution to forgetting to do things though - at uni they'll set you things to be completed by some point in the future and they won't nag or remind you about it, just mark it as not attempted if it isn't done on time.

Maybe go to some open days with him if possible and make sure he doesn't forget to speak to student support / disability support about what they'd be able to do.

Thanks a million,
Aithne

Hi @AithneOMurchadha,
I'm just going into my 3rd year studying Geography at Lancaster. Lancaster is a pretty small city in the North west. The city is quite student orientated, which gives it a real friendly feel and even though its relatively small there's still a good range of shops, bars and cafes.
I've attached the course page for the Bsc physics, if you and your son wants to have a look through it.
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/physics-bsc-hons-f300/2024/
It looks like there's options to take nuclear related modules in the 2nd and 3rd year, but there's a full list of the module options on the link, to see if he is interested in any of them.
In terms of societies at Lancaster, there's no shortage of societies. We have a Catholic society and a Christian union, or if there's an area he has an interest in and not currently a society, you are able to set one up. In terms of cadets, I believe there is a University Officer Training Corps (UOTC) for the Lancaster area, if this is something he would be interested in, but i think some other universities also have there own UOTC so might be worth a look. https://www.nwrfca.org.uk/reserve-forces/university-officer-training-corps/.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask!
- Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Original post by artful_lounger
Lancaster is I think a bit more of a campus uni I gather so might be an option. UCLan I don't think is in a very big city either although I'll admit, I'm not super familiar with the north as a whole! Hard to tell though how big a city is too big in this case. In general it's probably just worth looking at broadly good universities in the north and midlands and seeing if a) he meets the requirements grade/subject wise and b) the city/campus suits. Some others to consider in that vein might include York, Sheffield, or Nottingham perhaps. If his predicted grades stretch up above the suggest range above, then maybe also Birmingham/Warwick could be in the mix.

Also if you don't mind looking really far north into another country, in Scotland there may be some appealing options - Dundee and Aberdeen for example, or maybe St Andrews if his grades skew a bit higher than expected in his final predictions. Likewise going sideways into Wales there might be some smaller unis or campus unis of interest.

Depending on what his concerns are with a big city though this may or may not be completely evaded by going to a uni in a smaller city or a campus uni. As inevitably, universities themselves are very busy locations with lots of students all about, big crowds and so on campus in the middle of the day and such. If it's less about that and more about preferring a more rural environment then that might be easier to work around :smile:

He may also be interested in the Open University's OpenPlus scheme, which has a physics stream - basically you do the first part of the degree with the OU, then transfer (by right, and not just by chance! it's part of a formal transfer scheme) to one of their "brick uni" partners (which includes some quite good unis for physics in the north and midlands - although some in larger cities perhaps). Obviously OU study, being fully distance learning and usually with an assumption the student is living at home at the time (as not entitled to maintenance loans usually) is not for everyone, but it may be something to consider!

Hi Artful Lounger, thank you so much for taking the time to provide me with such a wonderfully detailed response :smile:

I think he would fare far better with a campus university, so thank you for mentioning about Lancaster. He has spent almost all his life in the countryside and we live just outside Nottingham but he refuses to venture into the city for anything other than mass and then he gets out sharp - cities overstimulate him. The school he attends is further away and is in the countryside and he is very happy living and studying there so I think easy access to green space is high on the agenda. Whilst universities often have campuses in the countryside they do not teach his chosen subject there. Scotland and Wales are certainly also food for thought, thank you! The fact that they are further from us and few students wish to be too close to home would likely also appeal.

I hadn't heard of the Open University's OpenPlus scheme... it is good to know of another potential option and I'm grateful to you for mentioning it, thank you :smile:

Aithne
Original post by ajj2000
Loughborough, Lancaster and Keele spring to mind. It might be worth checking out what support they offer. I know I've read threads by parents with similar considerations but can't remember where or whether anyone found good solutions.

Thank you ajj2000, I shall look into these with him too. Interesting that Lancaster is cropping up a lot!
Thanks a mil,
Aithne
Original post by Joinedup
Maybe Keele?

He'll have to find a solution to forgetting to do things though - at uni they'll set you things to be completed by some point in the future and they won't nag or remind you about it, just mark it as not attempted if it isn't done on time.

Maybe go to some open days with him if possible and make sure he doesn't forget to speak to student support / disability support about what they'd be able to do.

Thank you Joinedup, I will have a look at Keele.
I know... it is one of the biggest b@ll@ches of ADHD is the forgetfulness and one of the most frustrating things as a parent to endure... I will definitely be seeking out Student Support with him to see how they may be able to help support him with that.
Thanks a million,
Aithne
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @AithneOMurchadha,
I'm just going into my 3rd year studying Geography at Lancaster. Lancaster is a pretty small city in the North west. The city is quite student orientated, which gives it a real friendly feel and even though its relatively small there's still a good range of shops, bars and cafes.
I've attached the course page for the Bsc physics, if you and your son wants to have a look through it.
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/physics-bsc-hons-f300/2024/
It looks like there's options to take nuclear related modules in the 2nd and 3rd year, but there's a full list of the module options on the link, to see if he is interested in any of them.
In terms of societies at Lancaster, there's no shortage of societies. We have a Catholic society and a Christian union, or if there's an area he has an interest in and not currently a society, you are able to set one up. In terms of cadets, I believe there is a University Officer Training Corps (UOTC) for the Lancaster area, if this is something he would be interested in, but i think some other universities also have there own UOTC so might be worth a look. https://www.nwrfca.org.uk/reserve-forces/university-officer-training-corps/.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask!
- Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Hi Jasmine, thank you so much for your detailed response. I really appreciate it :smile:
I am rapidly learning about UK geography and if Lancaster is NW England then I expect you will have Irish communities there which would help with yet another big life transition. My son will definitely be drawn to the CathSoc and the fact that you have UOTC in your area. UOTC is new to me so this is something that I can explore with him further. I think he will be drawn to Lancaster as a potential uni based on these and will make for some good conversations to be had.
Again, my grateful thanks,
Aithne
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 13
Hi Jasmine, thank you so much for your detailed response. I really appreciate it :smile:
I am rapidly learning about UK geography and if Lancaster is NW England then I expect you will have Irish communities there which would help with yet another big life transition. My son will definitely be drawn to the CathSoc and the fact that you have UOTC in your area. UOTC is new to me so this is something that I can explore with him further. I think he will be drawn to Lancaster as a potential uni based on these and will make for some good conversations to be had.
Again, my grateful thanks,
Aithne

Aithne just wondered if you might want to remove your son's name from the above post.We do not want his anonymity to be breached especially as we are discussing his special needs.Glad we seem to have been of assistance.
Original post by Scotney
Aithne just wondered if you might want to remove your son's name from the above post.We do not want his anonymity to be breached especially as we are discussing his special needs.Glad we seem to have been of assistance.

Force of habit, thanks for pointing this out! :smile:
Original post by Scotney

Lancaster Physics is AAA in BSC, but still worth going for as they may accept a grade drop. Leicester is AAB - ABB and is pretty decent uni. I went to a couple of open days there and its a city uni.
The Lancaster support link to the uni https://portal.lancaster.ac.uk/ask/wellbeing/support/adhd/

My daughter is a 4th year Physics student (lancaster) and they have been really good on internship support, and he will get assigned a supervisor who will be able to assist, if he asks for the help. She didnt have a very good second year for health and personal reasons, and she reached out after her results and they went through the things that went wrong and what she could do to put them right. Coupled up with plenty of meetings in year 3 for updates she did well enough to qualify for year 4. He will get a timetable which will consist of workshops, lectures, labs and seminars and supervisor meetings. As its a collegiate uni, I recommend Bowland and Furness which are the closest colleges to the physics dept, although they can have lectures anywhere on campus, being close to the physics dept and the main bus stop is good :smile:

Thanks a million,
Aithne

Hey, all of this sounds very familiar! I'm a (soon to be) Physics student on a gap year. I also have ASD, ADHD, am a christian, and have grown up in the countryside on a farm, so 100 percent appreciate your struggles! As others have said, certain unis in small cities such as Durham and St Andrews may be an option, though their entrance requirements are pretty high. I received an offer from Durham last year however declined it because of the issue of accommodation, and having to find housing in a grotty part of the city, so wouldn't recommend. Green campuses are probably your best option, and it's possible to live self-sufficiently there without setting foot in the actual city. Keele is very green and the autism support is great - I have a friend there who was put in a flat with a small group of other neurodivergents which was very helpful in making friends. Personally, I would also recommend York. It's quite a small uni in numbers, and collegiate. Their entrance requirements are the same as your son's predicted grades, but they also interview so if you miss your grade, they will often still offer you a place. York is a lovely city and has great bus and rail connections to the Moors and the Dales. Most importantly though, York is the best place in the UK for nuclear and plasma physics - yes, better than Oxbridge. Tell your son to check out their research into magnetic confinement fusion, it's cool stuff. The emphasis is somewhat on the experimental side, but unless your son is desperate to become a theoretical academic, they have particularly good links to industry and employment for students during and after their course.
That would be my recommendation, hope it helps!
Reply 17
Smaller campus Unis = Bath, Sussex, Aberystwyth.

Thanks a million,
Aithne

Hi @AithneOMurchadha,

I have been at Lancaster University for four years studying Physics and I have just started my PhD in Particle Physics here too!

I was very much the same where I didn't want to study in a big city and ended up choosing Lancaster University after visiting! It has quite a few shops and supermarkets, but is also a small and quiet city!

Lancaster University has a wide range of societies! Here is the link to all the societies Lancaster has to offer: https://lancastersu.co.uk/groups?group_type=societies-551 Hopefully there's some societies that might be of interest!

I really enjoyed my time studying Physics at Lancaster University! The department is very friendly and supportive, and based on my experience, they also provide great support to anyone with a disability.

There are several modules which may be of interest to your son, as you said he especially likes nuclear physics! There is a module in second year called Relativity, Nuclei and Particles, which teaches you about the foundations of that area of physics! Also if your son is interested in applications of Nuclear Physics, such as Nuclear Astrophysics, then he might be interested in a few of the astrophysics modules. Another application of Nuclear Physics is in medicine, so this third year module may be of interest: Physics of Living Systems. Finally, there is also a module called Energy, which will talk about Nuclear Power. If you would be interested in reading a bit more about the modules, here is the link to the website for BSc Physics: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/physics-bsc-hons-f300/2024/

If you scroll towards the bottom of the page, you'll be able to find the course structure and more details about each of the modules.

Sorry for the load of information but hopefully that helps a bit! :smile:

Jamimah
(Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending