The Student Room Group

Picking between bath and warwick (maths)

Hi I’ve just got my offers from Warwick (maths- A*A*A) and bath (computer science and maths A*AB)
I know Warwick is a better course but Bath offers a lot more in terms of placement years plus it’s a broader course. However I would like to predominantly keep to the maths so I was just wondering if anyone could help me weigh up the two?
Thanks
Daniel
Original post by Daniel1112256
Hi I’ve just got my offers from Warwick (maths- A*A*A) and bath (computer science and maths A*AB)
I know Warwick is a better course but Bath offers a lot more in terms of placement years plus it’s a broader course. However I would like to predominantly keep to the maths so I was just wondering if anyone could help me weigh up the two?
Thanks
Daniel

TBH the relative reputation difference between Bath & Warwick is negligible, ultimately what you do & achieve will define your degree not if you attend Warwick or Bath.

look at which program offers you what you want from the course & university as a whole.
If you think you can get the grades for Warwick, go to Warwick .
Both fantastic choices. Would you prefer to study straight maths (albeit on a course with lots of options) or a joint maths/ CS degree? That would seem to be the first question.
Warwick is generally considered one of the best maths department in the country, alongside Oxbridge and Imperial. Bath is also very good, although I think Warwick is really in a separate league to Bath. In terms of breadth in maths specifically Warwick has a wider range of options (Bath is a little more narrow). Whether "adding in" CS makes a difference is up to you - although it's worth noting there are several programming modules you can take in the maths course at Warwick which I believe are also fairly common options.

In terms of placements it depends on what you're aiming for - for software engineering and similar a good placement year can make a huge difference. However if you want to pursue investment banking or management consulting bear in mind Warwick is a target uni and Bath isn't, which does make a difference for those two specific areas. Outside of those in general your employability isn't really going to be linked to the uni so much, and a placement year would help but you can gain sufficient experience through appropriate internship etc.

Bear in mind the actual day to day life at each uni is going to be quite different - Bath being based in small city with a larger nearby city (Bristol) available to you, while Warwick is basically a suburb of Coventry and the nearest cities are Coventry and Leamington Spa (neither I think particularly known for their social or cultural scenes unlike Bath and Bristol). So that is worth keeping in mind.

Also consider if your Warwick offer requires you to take STEP.
Original post by ajj2000
Both fantastic choices. Would you prefer to study straight maths (albeit on a course with lots of options) or a joint maths/ CS degree? That would seem to be the first question.

Tbh I think I’d prefer the pure maths course that Warwick offers so i think I’m leaning towards Warwick atm
Original post by artful_lounger
Warwick is generally considered one of the best maths department in the country, alongside Oxbridge and Imperial. Bath is also very good, although I think Warwick is really in a separate league to Bath. In terms of breadth in maths specifically Warwick has a wider range of options (Bath is a little more narrow). Whether "adding in" CS makes a difference is up to you - although it's worth noting there are several programming modules you can take in the maths course at Warwick which I believe are also fairly common options.

In terms of placements it depends on what you're aiming for - for software engineering and similar a good placement year can make a huge difference. However if you want to pursue investment banking or management consulting bear in mind Warwick is a target uni and Bath isn't, which does make a difference for those two specific areas. Outside of those in general your employability isn't really going to be linked to the uni so much, and a placement year would help but you can gain sufficient experience through appropriate internship etc.

Bear in mind the actual day to day life at each uni is going to be quite different - Bath being based in small city with a larger nearby city (Bristol) available to you, while Warwick is basically a suburb of Coventry and the nearest cities are Coventry and Leamington Spa (neither I think particularly known for their social or cultural scenes unlike Bath and Bristol). So that is worth keeping in mind.

Also consider if your Warwick offer requires you to take STEP.

Thank you very much. Im going to go see the unis on offer holder days to properly get a feel for the both of them but I think you are right course wise as well as the fact I can pick up other modules ie physics

The big thing for me is the city, I’ve been to bath before and it’s a very nice city and it’s got bristol very close as you say… and I’ve not hear the greatest things about Coventry… but at the end of the day it’s not the most important thing.
Thankfully I don’t need to do step bc I got a 7.2 in TMUA 😅
The other question I had was regarding doing my masters at a different university (preferably Oxbridge) even though I have applied for a masters at Warwick. Is it possible to drop down in third year?
Thank you very much. Im going to go see the unis on offer holder days to properly get a feel for the both of them but I think you are right course wise as well as the fact I can pick up other modules ie physics

The big thing for me is the city, I’ve been to bath before and it’s a very nice city and it’s got bristol very close as you say… and I’ve not hear the greatest things about Coventry… but at the end of the day it’s not the most important thing.
The other question I had was regarding doing my masters at a different university (preferably Oxbridge) even though I have applied for a masters at Warwick. Is it possible to drop down in third year?

Yeah its possible until near the end of third year. Im second year there currently and I'm applying to Oxbridge masters but then falling back on Mmath continuation if i don't get them.
AMA if you have any questions about Warwick.

Also, @artful_lounger is correct, Warwick is definitely a tier above Bath in terms of the Maths course, and you'll be doing the new and improved Maths course, which started in 2022. However, Bath is undoubtedly an excellent uni and the only significant difference career prospects wise would be in Investment Banking/Quant Finance etc.
Thank you very much everyone! This has been very helpful to see all the pros and cons!
I’m going to see the unis to get a feel for the cities.
But otherwise Warwick looks great!
Original post by mxtt_helm
Also, @artful_lounger is correct, Warwick is definitely a tier above Bath in terms of the Maths course, and you'll be doing the new and improved Maths course, which started in 2022. However, Bath is undoubtedly an excellent uni and the only significant difference career prospects wise would be in Investment Banking/Quant Finance etc.
Would you mind explaining the difference between the actual course structure for maths at Warwick vs Bath, and if L110 is really that different to G100. Also what makes Warwick so much better for investment banking? Currently trying to choose between them for which offer to put as my first choice.
Original post by Adammckenzie05
Would you mind explaining the difference between the actual course structure for maths at Warwick vs Bath, and if L110 is really that different to G100. Also what makes Warwick so much better for investment banking? Currently trying to choose between them for which offer to put as my first choice.
Warwicks course has a larger amount of pure modules and goes through content more quickly then bath. You can see the difference in number of modules in the later years especially. For IB, the banks have target universities that they recruit the majority of their intake from which are Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, LSE and Warwick. Bath is a semi target so theres still a decent amount that get in but quite a lot less.

Quick Reply

Latest