The Student Room Group

Doubts about my degree course :(

I have been wanting to study architecture since about year 11. I admit that I haven't researched much into it at all but I just wanted to do it so I chose the required a levels and now I actually got into university and I have just started my first year of my architecture degree which is a 5 year degree course as it includes an integrated master's degree. I am now feeling like maybe this is not the right career for me and I'm not sure if I want to commit to it and risk regretting it in the future but also I don't want to lose such a good opportunity. I also don't know what I want to do if not architecture. I am quite prone to stress and I find myself constantly doubting my choice and then reassuring myself that it is the right choice for the past 3 weeks. It is a never ending cycle! Is it normal to doubt your degree course at the start of the year? Should I wait for longer before making any rash decisions? If so how long should I wait to know for sure? At the same time I do want to get a good degree and make my parents proud but I am constantly second guessing myself maybe my abilities too. What do I do?
If it was me I would stay until I'm absolutely 100000% sure that I don't want to do it.
Reply 2
That makes more sense tbh. Thank you for your response!

Original post by jisvngxstay
If it was me I would stay until I'm absolutely 100000% sure that I don't want to do it.
Original post by Anonymous
I have been wanting to study architecture since about year 11. I admit that I haven't researched much into it at all but I just wanted to do it so I chose the required a levels and now I actually got into university and I have just started my first year of my architecture degree which is a 5 year degree course as it includes an integrated master's degree. I am now feeling like maybe this is not the right career for me and I'm not sure if I want to commit to it and risk regretting it in the future but also I don't want to lose such a good opportunity. I also don't know what I want to do if not architecture. I am quite prone to stress and I find myself constantly doubting my choice and then reassuring myself that it is the right choice for the past 3 weeks. It is a never ending cycle! Is it normal to doubt your degree course at the start of the year? Should I wait for longer before making any rash decisions? If so how long should I wait to know for sure? At the same time I do want to get a good degree and make my parents proud but I am constantly second guessing myself maybe my abilities too. What do I do?

Hey!

A lot of people share these same doubts, especially right at the beginning of the university journey, as it's a whole new experience to adapt to. You might soon find yourself enjoying it more and more each day, but ultimately you need to make the right decision for you, and only you. I know you said you didn't research much into architecture at all, but what was it that initially attracted you to it? Have a think of your interests, where your strengths lie and your long term goals.

It can be so daunting to think about careers, so I'd recommend chatting to a career counsellor so you can explore all your options with them and think about alternative career paths.

If stress is getting on top of you, please do reach out to the university's mental health services and keep in touch with loved ones for their support.

It's okay to change your mind if architecture isn't right for you, so many people change their career paths throughout their lives, it's super common. Just take your time in this decision. Wishing you the best of luck with it!

Becky

Anon,

What makes you think it might not be the career for you? Are you enjoying the modules? Do you find the work interesting? Do you find the work too difficult or too easy?

You are fulfilling a dream and it's a good opportunity, but dreams can change and it's not a good opportunity if you don't like your course and have no interest in being an architect.

I think it is too early to decide anything. Remember that first year is just laying down the tracks in preparation for later years so it gives you an idea of what you will need to know, but there will be more interesting things to come.

It might be an idea to wait until the end of term to see how you feel or even to see how you feel at the end of the year, before making any decisions. It would also be a good idea to talk to family, but remember that it is not advisable to pursue a career just to make your parents proud. You need to do something that you enjoy and that you are good at. Your course is long, so you do need to think about whether you are committed to studying for five years and then working in this area.

For now, try and stop worrying and try to focus on just enjoying your course. You will either realise that you do love this course and you're glad that you've chosen it, or it will become clear that it really isn't for you, either way you will know!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
(edited 6 months ago)
Why are you thinking it's not the right course or career for you?

That might be a good place to start and then people can offer advice as to whether the concerns are more or less valid in this context.
Reply 6
Thank you so much for your advice Becky, I'll try to implement it and see how it goes!

Original post by University of Bradford
Hey!

A lot of people share these same doubts, especially right at the beginning of the university journey, as it's a whole new experience to adapt to. You might soon find yourself enjoying it more and more each day, but ultimately you need to make the right decision for you, and only you. I know you said you didn't research much into architecture at all, but what was it that initially attracted you to it? Have a think of your interests, where your strengths lie and your long term goals.

It can be so daunting to think about careers, so I'd recommend chatting to a career counsellor so you can explore all your options with them and think about alternative career paths.

If stress is getting on top of you, please do reach out to the university's mental health services and keep in touch with loved ones for their support.

It's okay to change your mind if architecture isn't right for you, so many people change their career paths throughout their lives, it's super common. Just take your time in this decision. Wishing you the best of luck with it!

Becky
Reply 7
These are interesting questions that I don't really know what to answer to. I'll try doing some work, writing down my answers and hopefully that might give me some clarity. Also as you said maybe I'll wait and give it more time. Thank you for your advice Oluwatosin!

Original post by University of Huddersfield
Anon,

What makes you think it might not be the career for you? Are you enjoying the modules? Do you find the work interesting? Do you find the work too difficult or too easy?

You are fulfilling a dream and it's a good opportunity, but dreams can change and it's not a good opportunity if you don't like your course and have no interest in being an architect.

I think it is too early to decide anything. Remember that first year is just laying down the tracks in preparation for later years so it gives you an idea of what you will need to know, but there will be more interesting things to come.

It might be an idea to wait until the end of term to see how you feel or even to see how you feel at the end of the year, before making any decisions. It would also be a good idea to talk to family, but remember that it is not advisable to pursue a career just to make your parents proud. You need to do something that you enjoy and that you are good at. Your course is long, so you do need to think about whether you are committed to studying for five years and then working in this area.

For now, try and stop worrying and try to focus on just enjoying your course. You will either realise that you do love this course and you're glad that you've chosen it, or it will become clear that it really isn't for you, either way you will know!

All the best,

Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger
Why are you thinking it's not the right course or career for you?

That might be a good place to start and then people can offer advice as to whether the concerns are more or less valid in this context.

Such a simple question but a very important one that I didn't quite think about too much. I'll trying digging deep and finding the issues I have with my course to get the right advice. Thank you!
These are interesting questions that I don't really know what to answer to. I'll try doing some work, writing down my answers and hopefully that might give me some clarity. Also as you said maybe I'll wait and give it more time. Thank you for your advice Oluwatosin!

No worries, Anon!

All the best,

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you are struggling with your choice but you are absolutely not alone! Lots of people have doubts and worries about their course and future careers and it is completely normal to question it.

My best advice is to talk to student services at your university. They might be able to talk you through why you're having these doubts, what about the course you enjoy or don't enjoy (there will always be a mix of things you do and do not like, don't let the less enjoyable parts discourage you if you're enjoying the other parts), and what options there are for you. There may be a time stamp on switching course or other options so talk to the services ASAP.

Good luck with everything,
- Sophie (uni of Bath)
Reply 11
Thank you Sophie! I’m feeling better now but I’ll consider doing that too!

Original post by University of Bath
Hi there,

Sorry to hear you are struggling with your choice but you are absolutely not alone! Lots of people have doubts and worries about their course and future careers and it is completely normal to question it.

My best advice is to talk to student services at your university. They might be able to talk you through why you're having these doubts, what about the course you enjoy or don't enjoy (there will always be a mix of things you do and do not like, don't let the less enjoyable parts discourage you if you're enjoying the other parts), and what options there are for you. There may be a time stamp on switching course or other options so talk to the services ASAP.

Good luck with everything,
- Sophie (uni of Bath)
Reply 12
'I admit that I haven't researched much into it at all'

This is, unfortunately, a cautionary tale to all young people looking toward university. It's really, really common for prospective undergraduates to have done this, and it makes zero sense when all the information you require to make informed judgements is quite literally sat in the palm of your hand via your smartphone.

There's some good advice in here, I implore anybody reading this to take it. Do not rush this stuff, do not do a degree programme 'just cos'. Make informed, sensible decisions about your futures and take a bit of responsibility in ensuring that you are in a position to do this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending