The Student Room Group

Stuck at crossroads in my life: how can I decide on a course?!?

I don't know how you guys do it. I feel like I have some sort of mental disorder like ADD (not that I think about it) because I've been trying to crack this for years now. Square one for years. All I could narrow it down to is : maths, sciences, medicine, engineering. That would, I guess, be my final courses to consider. But I have no clue how to proceed from that.

Medicine, engineering, I doubt it as its both demanding and I'm not set on them. But i'm not set on the rest either. I feel like perfectionism is playing a part here too - I want to go to uni without any hitch or doubt.

How do you or did you guys pick what course you wanted to do? This is eating me alive.

Like for example, ive looked at engineering but there's so many disciplines I can't pick even if I wanted to. Medicine sounds fun and Im sure ill be happyy but there's always a what if? And that "what if?" seems to be present in every decision I try make.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't know how you guys do it. I feel like I have some sort of mental disorder like ADD (not that I think about it) because I've been trying to crack this for years now. Square one for years. All I could narrow it down to is : maths, sciences, medicine, engineering. That would, I guess, be my final courses to consider. But I have no clue how to proceed from that.

Medicine, engineering, I doubt it as its both demanding and I'm not set on them. But i'm not set on the rest either. I feel like perfectionism is playing a part here too - I want to go to uni without any hitch or doubt.

How do you or did you guys pick what course you wanted to do? This is eating me alive.

Like for example, ive looked at engineering but there's so many disciplines I can't pick even if I wanted to. Medicine sounds fun and Im sure ill be happyy but there's always a what if? And that "what if?" seems to be present in every decision I try make.

Hi there!

I'm a very indecisive person which didn't help when I was choosing my subject for my degree. I'm an arty person and was previously studying art and design, which is a very broad subject! But, I considered what I enjoyed the most within the subject as my leading factor in choosing my uni course. You want to enjoy your subject and have an interest in it, but also be pushed and challenged by it.

I chose Fashion Design in the end as it allowed me to draw and paint and create which I enjoy the most. But it also challenges me when I have to make clothes and learn how to use CAD. Maybe have a think about what you enjoyed at school, or what your hobbies look like, as these could influence your decision.

Have a look at what each subject course usually looks like as they are typically similar in content across universities and see what interests you the most. Or is there a course that has some combination of a few of your interests? Maybe you could also look at a Foundation Year in your subjects. This is a year where you can explore different avenues within your area of interest and also get a feel for what the degree course will be like. Kind of like bridging your previous studies to your degree.

We have lots of foundation courses here at BCU. I've put a link below of the foundation year courses offered in the area of engineering. But there are loads of foundation options around the country at other colleges an unis too. Maybe worth a look?

https://www.bcu.ac.uk/courses/search?term=Foundation&intake=&type=&subj=2&mode=&page=1&perpage=20&skiptoresults=

I hope this helps your decision!
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
i would look at a course and see if you would like to do it :smile:
Reply 3
i would look at a course and see if you would like to do it :smile:

I tried. I like many but I dont know any I love.

I had a similar problem selecting courses - what I did was I flipped a coin between my two major choices and if it landed on one and I felt disappointed, I chose the other one, but if it landed on one, and I felt excited, I chose that one. Not sure if that's what you want to do but it solved my problem with choosing pretty quickly.

Best of luck, though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending