The Student Room Group

Big big decision to make - Go to university or take a year out?

Hi, I am set to go to university literally next week. But recently I have been having some doubts, and I'm realising starting next year may be better for me - so if you can give me advice on my situation, that would be great, I'll keep it concise...

+ I am set to do a good degree at a uni I worked really hard to get into

+ I'm not going that far from home so if I cannot handle living alone, I'm not fully f*cked

+ The earlier I do the degree, the quicker I can actually start earning

+ I am not sure if I can remain sane out of education for a whole year

+ I will please my family by leaving home (weak point I know)

- I am not fully sure if the degree and the university is for me

+ A year is LONGGGG

- I may not be mentally prepared for a law degree atm (various mental health issues and I am also younger than a lot of the students there)

- My grades were possibly good enough to get me into TOP universities that I can reapply for next year, which is appealing to me and is good for job prospects (especially for law)

- I am not mature or able enough to live on my own atm, and it can be argued chucking me into the deep end will help, but Idk if I will cope.

- I look 12 still. A weird and private point, but I was (and still behind) on physical development, to the point where I am told by girls that I look literally 12. I want to go to university a man, not a 12 year old boy - I want to meet girls - I mean IT IS university.

I am a naturally hesitant person, so I have doubts about my doubts, and my own parents are dismissing this as another doubtful moment, but this is a decision that will cost me £45,000. A law degree at a Russell Group looks attractive to start now but idk if I can really do it atm.

I get the feeling my dad wants me out the house. But this really shouldn't hinder my decision. Please help, I have a week until I am fully committed!!!!
Reply 1
I should note that I am naturally a very doubtful, anxious, hesitant person. I can get like this picking a chocolate bar at the shop.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I am set to go to university literally next week. But recently I have been having some doubts, and I'm realising starting next year may be better for me - so if you can give me advice on my situation, that would be great, I'll keep it concise...

+ I'm not going that far from home so if I cannot handle living alone, I'm not fully f*cked

+ A year is LONGGGG

- I may not be mentally prepared for a law degree atm (various mental health issues and I am also younger than a lot of the students there)

- My grades were possibly good enough to get me into TOP universities that I can reapply for next year, which is appealing to me and is good for job prospects (especially for law)

- I am not mature or able enough to live on my own atm, and it can be argued chucking me into the deep end will help, but Idk if I will cope.

- I look 12 still. A weird and private point, but I was (and still behind) on physical development, to the point where I am told by girls that I look literally 12. I want to go to university a man, not a 12 year old boy - I want to meet girls - I mean IT IS university.

I am a naturally hesitant person, so I have doubts about my doubts, and my own parents are dismissing this as another doubtful moment, but this is a decision that will cost me £45,000. A law degree at a Russell Group looks attractive to start now but idk if I can really do it atm.

I get the feeling my dad wants me out the house. But this really shouldn't hinder my decision. Please help, I have a week until I am fully committed!!!!

Hi there, it is really normal to have doubts about decisions to going to University.

Law is really competitive, congratulations on getting into a Russel Group University. I understand that a lot of people can be unsure whether they have chosen the right University or course, and they will only be certain after starting their degree. It seems like you have really thought out your University choice, so I am sure you will be fine. :smile:

University is a really good chance to develop new skills. I went to University without knowing if I could handle living alone. I found that I really started to gain independence and confidence throughout the past years. It may be quite difficult if you "throw yourself in the deep end", but if you look towards the positives, University could be a really good experience- getting to meet new people and gain new opportunities.

I understand that it does take a lot of courage to decide to go to University. I would advice taking your time to settle in, and figuring out routines that work for you. One thing good about University is the freedom you are given. A law degree can be demanding, but if manage your time properly, it is do-able.

Since you are younger than other students, taking a gap year can always be an option. Have you thought about what you might do? If you are worried about earning money after graduation, you can always gain some work experience during your gap year. (Please do not let your family's attitude impact your decision). During a gap year, if you arrange your time correctly, you will be able to get quite a lot of things done and this could give you the confidence for applying to University next year.

Hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by Anonymous

+ A year is LONGGGG

Hi there,

First of all, congratulations on getting into a Russel Group University to study law!

Feelings of hesitance and anxiety are normal when starting university soon. Personally, I think if you know you're a very doubtful and hesitant person you might want to try to push yourself to at least give it ago - you're so so close to starting anyway. Even if you deferred a year you might still have the same feelings. I think if you give it a try and see how you feel, then you would have a better judgement on whether the course and university are right for you - it's hard to know when you haven't started yet. If you do give it a go and it doesn't feel right then at least you can say to tried:smile:

Regarding not feeling like you could live on your own, lots of people feel the same way. Going to University is an excellent opportunity to learn how to do things on your own. It might take time but lots of people come back from University with many different life skills they didn't have before. I wasn't very independent before going to University, and worried about how I'd manage on my own, but being in an environment where independence is positively encouraged, I found myself being more confident and independent without even trying!

If you do feel life you want to defer but you want to fill your time with something that will help your employment prospects, you could always try to get work experience in a relevant industry/field. Or you could get an internship somewhere. I found a useful page for getting law work experience here if you wanted to have a look. Alongside a degree, having relevant work experience is a great way to stand out to employers. It can also help you get a true flavour for the field you want to go into (which is great:smile:). Another positive is that when you do go to University, you'll be more closer in age to others starting too (as I understand that being younger is a concern for you).

All in all, I understand this is a very difficult decision for you and I wish you the best with making that decision. Do remember to do what's right for you, regardless of what others think!

I hope this helps!

Bethan
University of Exeter Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending