The Student Room Group

the unit circle and whether sine and consine are positive or negative

I am not entirely sure how to word what I'm trying to find out here. I understand that in the 3rd quadrant for example, the outputs for both sine and conside will be negative. If we were to draw the the trinagle here, what would the coordinate point here be...(cos(theta),)sin(theta)or (-cos(theta), -sin(theta))

unit72lPGo.png
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by KingRich
I am not entirely sure how to word what I'm trying to find out here. I understand that in the 3rd quadrant for example, the outputs for both sine and conside will be negative. If we were to draw the the trinagle here, what would the coordinate point here be...
Attachment not found

Assuming that angle, theta, was 240, then youd have
cos(240) = -cos(60),
so the negative x-axis.
sin(240) = -sin(60),
so the negative y-axis. 60 would be the angle of the green triangle at the origin so 240-180. The x,y coordinates of the point would the previous values.

If thats not your question, then ...
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
Assuming that angle, theta, was 240, then youd have
cos(240) = -cos(60),
so the negative x-axis.
sin(240) = -sin(60),
so the negative y-axis. 60 would be the angle of the green triangle at the origin so 240-180. The x,y coordinates of the point would the previous values.

If thats not your question, then ...

Sorry, got distracted. What would the coordinate point be labelled?
Reply 3
Sorry, got distracted. What would the coordinate point be labelled?

the x-y values are
{cos(240),sin(240)} = {-cos(60), -sin(60)}
If you label the x-axis as cos and the y-axis as sin and mark on the angle 60=240-180, it should be clear?

an ok explanation, but google for others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZOeQNjkSA0&ab_channel=TullaMaths
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
the x-y values are
{cos(240),sin(240)} = {-cos(60), -sin(60)}
If you label the x-axis as cos and the y-axis as sin and mark on the angle 60=240-180, it should be clear?

an ok explanation, but google for others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZOeQNjkSA0&ab_channel=TullaMaths

I know their outputs are negative in that section. However, as per this example:
IMG_7419.jpeg In the first quadrant (cos(theta), sin(theta) are postive

I would assume that in the 3rd quadrant. The coordinates for both would both be negative, so

-cos(theta), -sin(theta)..
Reply 5
I know their outputs are negative in that section. However, as per this example:
IMG_7419.jpeg In the first quadrant (cos(theta), sin(theta) are postive

I would assume that in the 3rd quadrant. The coordinates for both would both be negative, so

-cos(theta), -sin(theta)..

You dont seem to have watched the video / made clear what theta is. In your original (edited) diagram, theta is in quadrant 3 so > 180 and < 270. Its trivially correct that in any quadrant the x-y values are cos(theta), sin(theta) as its a unit circle. However this correspond to alpha = theta-180, i.e. alpha is the angle of the green triangle at the origin. In that case the x-y values are {-cos(alpha),-sin(alpha)}.

If necessary just pick a value for theta like in #2 so 240 and plug the values into your calculator and make sure you undestand it in terms of theta-180 (=60=alpha).

If you did -cos(theta), -sin(theta), both would be positive.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest