The Student Room Group

Flexibility of Computer Science in Electronics, Cybersecurity, and Pure

When I went to Southampton Uni for their recent open day, I was very happy with their selling of the Computer Science course. They were stressing the flexibility of being able to pick-and-choose (to a certain extent) between Pure Computer Science, Cybersecurity, and Electronics. Coming away from this I have realised that this flexibility is exactly what I am looking for.

Does this description sound familiar to anyone else? Are there any Unis that offer similar things that people have found? What do you like about them?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:
Original post by cubictetric
When I went to Southampton Uni for their recent open day, I was very happy with their selling of the Computer Science course. They were stressing the flexibility of being able to pick-and-choose (to a certain extent) between Pure Computer Science, Cybersecurity, and Electronics. Coming away from this I have realised that this flexibility is exactly what I am looking for.

Does this description sound familiar to anyone else? Are there any Unis that offer similar things that people have found? What do you like about them?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Hiya!
The Computing and Communication degrees are very flexible at Lancaster University. There are several options: Pure Computer Science, Cyber Security, Software Engineering, Data Science and Computer Science with Maths. While Data Science and CS+maths are slightly special, with other courses you can actually convert between them up to the start of your second year! This means that you have more time to pick the degree that is right for you.
Lancaster Computing courses also offer quite a wide range of optional modules, so that for example you can pick an optional Cyber Security module while doing Computer Science. Additional bonus: if you are considering doing a masters, then switching between BSc and MSci is also very easy.

So if flexibility is what you're looking for in a course, check out Lancaster's courses. It's quite a good mix in my experience :smile:

Hope that helps!
Polina (LU Student Ambassador)
Reply 2
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hiya!
The Computing and Communication degrees are very flexible at Lancaster University. There are several options: Pure Computer Science, Cyber Security, Software Engineering, Data Science and Computer Science with Maths. While Data Science and CS+maths are slightly special, with other courses you can actually convert between them up to the start of your second year! This means that you have more time to pick the degree that is right for you.
Lancaster Computing courses also offer quite a wide range of optional modules, so that for example you can pick an optional Cyber Security module while doing Computer Science. Additional bonus: if you are considering doing a masters, then switching between BSc and MSci is also very easy.

So if flexibility is what you're looking for in a course, check out Lancaster's courses. It's quite a good mix in my experience :smile:

Hope that helps!

This is a great first response! Thank you very much. :smile:
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hiya!

Hope that helps!

Hi,
Just to add to this, if you are interested in electronics Lancaster University offers a natural sciences degree in which you would be able to study both computer science and electronic engineering. In the electronic engineering pathway you could study modules such as fundamentals of digital electronics, digital signal processing and optoelectronics and wireless communications. I've added a link here if you want to check it out :smile:
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/natural-sciences/
Becky (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 4
After such helpful comments about Lancaster University, I have decided to attend a campus tour next week. Is there any advice you can offer about things I might do while I'm there to help with my enquiries?
Original post by cubictetric
After such helpful comments about Lancaster University, I have decided to attend a campus tour next week. Is there any advice you can offer about things I might do while I'm there to help with my enquiries?

Hi,
That's great to hear. My advice would be to try and speak to students who are studying your subject and find out what they like/don't like so much about the course and see if that matches up with what you're looking for in a degree. If you are able to meet a member of staff for the programme, talk to them about what your route through the degree might look like.
If accommodation/facilities are important to you, definitely try to have a look at various types of accommodation and check out the sports centre, the library and various shops/cafes/bars on campus. Just taking some time to explore campus and getting a feel for the atmosphere is really important.
If you have time, I'd recommend checking out the city as well!
It can be a good idea to make some notes/take pictures/summarise your overall opinion on the university after the day as this can be useful in helping to compare universities later.
Hope this helps,
Becky (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending