The Student Room Group

investing in my future - a y12 blog

Hi! I'm Scarlett :smile: I'm in year 12, studying Maths, Further Maths, Economics (Edexcel) and Computer Science (OCR). I'm not quite sure what I'd like to study at university, but I'm leaning towards Computer Science!

My maths classes are split into mechanics, stats and pure. My econ classes are split into microeconomics and macroeconomics. My cs classes are split into programming and theory. Here's a rundown of how I'm finding all of these so far:

Maths - we've only been doing pure up until today! I absolutely love pure but my teacher's a bit strange lol and will always make you question your answer. He's an excellent teacher though!! I started mechanics today and I'm not the biggest fan if I'm honest because it resembles Physics too much for my liking (I loved Physics at GCSE but I can't remember any content now!)

Microeconomics - AMAZING! My teacher's sooo good and she makes these handouts with the spec on it and pre-printed notes that we can add to. They're honestly the best revision resources. Plus, I think the content itself is pretty interesting too!!

Macroeconomics - boringgg. That might be because of my teacher though. I feel like he goes off-track a lot and we don't really cover much in his lessons. Some people are dropping econ because of him.

Programming - AHHH I LOVE THIS! Programming + me = true love. Nothing else needs to be said.

Theory - ughh not a fan of my teacher and I'm actually finding it kinda confusing. We'll see how it goes.

Spoiler

(edited 6 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Today I got my first maths test back! It was a pure maths test, and I got 100% :smile:
Original post by scar-the-queen
Today I got my first maths test back! It was a pure maths test, and I got 100% :smile:

Wow very impressive!! Well done!
Original post by niamhcheesecake
Wow very impressive!! Well done!

Thank you!!
I unfortunately didn't manage to get much work done after school today because my health took a bit of a downwards turn (I have a medical condition which affects how my brain sends signals to the rest of my body) - the cold weather seems to have made it worse. I managed to finish some pure maths homework on equations and inequalities and that's about it.
(edited 7 months ago)
I'm not feeling very well today (got a stupid cold) but I'm still going to try and get some work done! I'll update this post at the day goes by.

This is what I've got done so far today:
- Differentiation practise
- MOG prep
- Bebras challenge prep
(edited 7 months ago)
Feeling a bit better today!

Here's what I've gotten done today so far:
- Differentiation homework
- Read Preface of Numbers & Proofs by RBJT Allenby
- Went thru microecon exam qs. done in class
- Rewrote microecon notes as revision for test on Tuesday (I usually like to read my notes aloud or teach my parents but I've got a sore throat today so this was the next best alternative!!)
(edited 7 months ago)
Oops forget to post yesterday!

Anyway, here's how today's going:
- Attended critical thinking club
- Mathematical olympiad for girls prep
(edited 7 months ago)
Things done today:
- Maths homework
Well done on your maths test, that's great! Critical thinking club sounds amazing, what do you do there? Hope your cold has passed now!
Original post by Pwca
Well done on your maths test, that's great! Critical thinking club sounds amazing, what do you do there? Hope your cold has passed now!

Thank you! We explore loads of different things in critical thinking club, like how to use Fermi estimates and how to explore causal relationships between things. Unfortunately it turned out not to just be a cold and it was the flu! I'm on the mend now though! :smile:
Today:
- Numbers & Proofs by RBJT Allenby

Unfortunately I've been struck down by the flu for the past few days so I haven't really done much for the past few days and I'm reallyyy behind and have a lot to catch up on.
Today:
Today:

Unfortunately I've been struck down by the flu for the past few days so I haven't really done much for the past few days and I'm reallyyy behind and have a lot to catch up on.

Oh no, sorry to hear you've got flu! Make sure you do rest up and get better, no point pushing yourself too hard and taking even longer to recover!
Today:
- Code Club
- Caught up on missed stats work
(edited 6 months ago)
Today:
- Started writing essay for macroeconomics class
Today:
- Investment banking club
- National cipher challenge
Today:
- Investment banking club
- National cipher challenge

Oooh both of these sound interesting, what are they/ how do they work?
Original post by Pwca
Oooh both of these sound interesting, what are they/ how do they work?

In investment banking club, we're given fake $10,000 to invest in shares of our choice. There's a competition to see who has the most money by the end of term! I haven't actually invested in anything yet, but I will soon! The national cipher challenge is a competition where encoded texts are released weekly and the faster you solve them, the more points you get. All the unsolved texts link together to form a story which is fun!
Today:
- EPQ gantt chart
- Comp sci homework
- Macro homework
- Maths enrichment
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending