The Student Room Group

New Thread Experience Feedback - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by londonmyst
I'm not a fan of the new design, preferred the old one along with the old search facility.
The new design is not that compatible with comodo dragon browser and makes it very difficult to view on a windows 7 operating system.

We are hoping on updating the look of our new discussion pages soon, thank you for the feedback! I will raise with the team regarding the 'Comodo Dragon' browser, it's not one I'm too familiar with!
Original post by Evil Homer
Could you detail a little more which text editing tools you are missing the most?

We are working on the TSR emojis :smile:

There used to be like two or three ways to insert links so you could put them as a clickable image or video. There was also a way to change the colour of the text and the size as well, I think. Plus the button to enable BBCode is missing, unless it works now on the regular text box now. : :
I find it far to easy to accidentally knock the bar thing at the top and then all the forum options pop up when I am trying to use a forum. I also find it slower and more frustrating to use. I haven't been given the option to switch back to the old experience which will make moving threads harder.
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I find it far to easy to accidentally knock the bar thing at the top and then all the forum options pop up when I am trying to use a forum. I also find it slower and more frustrating to use. I haven't been given the option to switch back to the old experience which will make moving threads harder.

This is a bug and we will get this fixed as soon as possible.

Thank you for raising the interaction with the nav bar at the top of the page :smile:
Is there an option to switch to the old mode? If there isn't, can there be?

I don't use Reddit, but I believe there is an option on it to switch to "classic mode" - can we have the same? :smile:
Original post by EVRoosevelt
Is there an option to switch to the old mode? If there isn't, can there be?

I don't use Reddit, but I believe there is an option on it to switch to "classic mode" - can we have the same? :smile:

We don't currently have any plans to allow switching between both experiences. We hope by moving over everyone we can focus on improving the discussion experience for everyone!
We don't currently have any plans to allow switching between both experiences. We hope by moving over everyone we can focus on improving the discussion experience for everyone!

Ok, thank you for the answer :smile:
Also, has the emotes and smiley faces tab disappeared?!
I am quite a change-reluctant person, I know, but I am writing a message on another thread at the moment, and I'm finding this new layout a bit hard to use! I appreciate that things need updating, but I would love a 'classic mode' option, if it were feasible! :smile:
Overall, I think the old version is visually more user friendly. The thinner, more angular font and increased white space are kind of user-unfriendly. Also, it was nice to have your username visible at the top. This version actually loads slower for me than the old one, and it takes way longer to read a thread because there are fewer posts visible at one time. Moreover, the inability to delete the [quote/] out of a quoted post makes forum game participation more cumbersome.
I am quite a change-reluctant person, I know, but I am writing a message on another thread at the moment, and I'm finding this new layout a bit hard to use! I appreciate that things need updating, but I would love a 'classic mode' option, if it were feasible! :smile:

Yes, this exactly! A classic mode would be wonderful.
I don't like it atm but I will get used to it, except I need the colour option back ASAP because that's how I mark if I've done a task on my GYG blog... Otherwise I think there is too much spacing of the replies so it's hard to keep track if it's a new or old one.
Original post by RambleAmple
I don't like it atm but I will get used to it, except I need the colour option back ASAP because that's how I mark if I've done a task on my GYG blog... Otherwise I think there is too much spacing of the replies so it's hard to keep track if it's a new or old one.

When you say colour option do you mean colour of text?
Original post by penguingirl18
Overall, I think the old version is visually more user friendly. The thinner, more angular font and increased white space are kind of user-unfriendly. Also, it was nice to have your username visible at the top. This version actually loads slower for me than the old one, and it takes way longer to read a thread because there are fewer posts visible at one time. Moreover, the inability to delete the [quote/] out of a quoted post makes forum game participation more cumbersome.

Original post by flowersinmyhair

Could I ask you both which actions feel slower to you on the new design? This shouldn't be happening so just want to investigate :smile:
When you say colour option do you mean colour of text?

Yes, I do also find the new design slower than the old one… just like replies loading and sometimes you’ll scroll down and precious replies will be still loading so you lose where you are.
(edited 5 months ago)
Could I ask you both which actions feel slower to you on the new design? This shouldn't be happening so just want to investigate :smile:

It takes longer to use open a thread I find. It takes longer to load and longer for a thread to scroll to the right part when you access it.

Both loading a thread and the Trending widget take 10-15 seconds to appear after a page 'loads'. I am avoiding the React version because of this (and had raised it previously) but have just checked and it is ongoing.
Original post by penguingirl18

Would you be able to clarify what you mean about the quotes, please? It shouldn't be including quotes within a post you're quoting :holmes:

The emotes button will be added soon - in the meantime, you can add TSR emotes to your post manually, or you can add general emotes by typing : followed by the emote you wish to include - e.g. : followed by 'star' would let you add ⭐️
Original post by RainbowLapras
Would you be able to clarify what you mean about the quotes, please? It shouldn't be including quotes within a post you're quoting :holmes:

I mean I find the way quotes work in React compared to ST2 to be worse at the moment.
Latest threads widget is taking too long to load on React (as in it’s not instant), scrolling is sometimes hard to do on React (I didn’t have an issue with scrolling before on React but now I do sometimes).

Interface is clean though bar the lack of colour and some missing functionality.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending