The Student Room Group

The Student Room Update: New Look, New Homepage and More!

MicrosoftTeams-image (35).png
Since the launch of The Student Room more than two decades ago, we have welcomed millions of students seeking assistance with their education, life, and future careers. Throughout this period both the higher education landscape and the student community have undergone significant transformations. However, our core mission has remained unwavering: to provide a safe and welcoming space where students can receive genuine advice and support from our online community.

While our mission has persevered, our brand has stayed largely unchanged for the past decade! Over the past few months we’ve been working behind the scenes carrying out a huge amount of research, internal workshops, focus groups and user testing to gather feedback at all stages of the creative design process and we are proud to announce that The Student Room is getting a make-over!

We have now made the change :biggrin: There is a possibility that you may continue to experience some site performance issues on the day while we finish our move over but we hope normal service will resume relatively seemlessly.

To raise an issue you can use our new form here.

What's Changing?

- A new brand identity giving us a new look across the whole site, making The Student Room more accessible with a vibrant new colour palette.

- A brand new homepage for guests better signposting the benefits of joining our community

- A brand new homepage for members, bringing a personalised feed to all users allowing our community to access the content they are interested in, faster.

What's this space for?

- To share feedback and thoughts on our new look! We always want to hear from our community on the changes we make.

- If you are experiencing bugs, performance issues, or have requested changes then we would love it if you could use our new ticket system you can find here. This will let our team of developers process, organise and update you on progress of specific issues.

- You can see the list of issues already raised in the forum here.

We are looking forward to hearing what you think! :woo:
(edited 3 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Evil Homer
Since the launch of The Student Room more than two decades ago, we have welcomed millions of students seeking assistance with their education, life, and future careers. Throughout this period both the higher education landscape and the student community have undergone significant transformations. However, our core mission has remained unwavering: to provide a safe and welcoming space where students can receive genuine advice and support from our online community.

While our mission has persevered, our brand has stayed largely unchanged for the past decade! Over the past few months we’ve been working behind the scenes carrying out a huge amount of research, internal workshops, focus groups and user testing to gather feedback at all stages of the creative design process and we are proud to announce that The Student Room is getting a make-over!

We will be releasing our brand new look Thursday 11th January.

We will be making this change early on Thursday morning. There is a possibility that you may experience some site funkyness on the day while we move over to our new look but we hope normal service will resume relatively seemlessly.

What's Changing?

- A new brand identity giving us a new look across the whole site, making The Student Room more accessible with a vibrant new colour palette.

- A brand new homepage for guests better signposting the benefits of joining our community

- A brand new homepage for members, bringing a personalised feed to all users allowing our community to access the content they are interested in, faster.

What's this space for?

- To share feedback and thoughts on our new look! We always want to hear from our community on the changes we make.

- If you are experiencing bugs, performance issues, or have requested changes then we would love it if you could use our new ticket system you can find here. This will let our team of developers process, organise and update you on progress of specific issues.

Your "The Student Room Update..." announcement link goes to: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7336114 (a totally different thread from several months ago).

To paraphrase an unknown MP: "Not a good start, Homer".
Original post by DFranklin
Your "The Student Room Update..." announcement link goes to: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7336114 (a totally different thread from several months ago).

To paraphrase an unknown MP: "Not a good start, Homer".

Thank you for flagging, we've got that all changed now.

D'oh! 😉
I really love the purple and green colour theme - much better than the old blue and yellow
But I don’t like that the rep gems are orange now I preferred them being green
I also like the more ‘boxy’ look to the homepage as I think it looks more modern and clean
Love the colours. I like the new font colour too much sharper on my phone.

Keeping an eye out for bugs 🐜
I'm not seeing any colour difference between my read and unread notifications (Win 11 laptop, chrome).

Do like the rebrand though :biggrin:
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by normaw
I'm not seeing any colour difference between my read and unread notifications (Win 11 laptop, chrome).

I see a difference on mobile so it’s probably a bug worth raising a ticket for :smile:

Edit- scratch that. There’s a difference on st2 pages but not on mytsr or thread pages so I guess not on react either
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by normaw

Could you raise a bug via the process here, please? I'll have a look into this shortly! :smile:
Original post by PQ
Love the colours. I like the new font colour too much sharper on my phone.

Keeping an eye out for bugs 🐜

Ok and now it looks like the rebrand has completely broken mytsr for me so I can’t navigate the site the way I have for 15 years….

Watched forums vanished
Watched thread relegated, not showing the right threads and with useful information removed….
Original post by RainbowLapras
Could you raise a bug via the process here, please? I'll have a look into this shortly! :smile:

Done :smile:
Original post by Evil Homer

We will be releasing our brand new look Thursday 11th January.

We will be making this change early on Thursday morning. There is a possibility that you may experience some site funkyness on the day while we move over to our new look but we hope normal service will resume relatively seemlessly.

What's Changing?

What's this space for?

In all honesty not to my liking once you hit a sub forum the text of the title of the thread is purple maybe a bold white may have made the colour scheme contrasting at the same time I’m not sure if purple is user friendly…
(edited 3 months ago)
- I need to refresh the page at least twice to be able to click or send messages, replies or quotes.
- It's difficult to distinguish between read and unread messages; is anyone else facing the same problem?

Really like the color scheme though, it's sharp and vibrant! :woo:
LOVING THE NEW LOOK!!!!
Great job TSR!!!!

BTW, where do I find the emojis when typing? I just copied and pasted this one
Original post by sleep_supremacy
- I need to refresh the page at least twice to be able to click or send messages, replies or quotes.
- It's difficult to distinguish between read and unread messages; is anyone else facing the same problem?

Really like the color scheme though, it's sharp and vibrant! :woo:

I've raised a ticket for the read/unread messages issue :smile:. I'm not experiencing your other issues though.
Reply 14
The main part of the homepage
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/
Seems to be all greyed out. Id post the image but ... Echo the comment about about the bold (new) notifications being hard to distinguish on windows/chrome and being able to easily see which threads youve replied to (small pen on same colour icon).
(edited 3 months ago)
Colour scheme is hideous IMHO - green/purple have always been my example of 2 colours that clash horribly, so...

More seriously, you have some text showing as red on purple (e.g. the warning text that your reply is too short). This is extremely difficult to read.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by DFranklin
Colour scheme is hideous IMHO - green/purple have always been my example of 2 colours that clash horribly, so...

More seriously, you have some text showing as red on purple (e.g. the warning text that your reply is too short). This is extremely difficult to read.

I'll flag up the error message readability, thank you for raising :smile:
Original post by mqb2766
Seems to be all greyed out. Id post the image but ... Echo the comment about about the bold (new) notifications being hard to distinguish on windows/chrome and being able to easily see which threads youve replied to (small pen on same colour icon).

Agreed, the home page is not rendering for me (Chrome/Android).
Original post by OldestKnowsBest
LOVING THE NEW LOOK!!!!
Great job TSR!!!!

BTW, where do I find the emojis when typing? I just copied and pasted this one

Currently we don't have an emoji button on the new editor, but this should be coming soon :biggrin:
Original post by mqb2766

I'll flag up the homepage issue, thank you! I'll make a note of the other issues you've raised too :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending