The Student Room Group

Changes to TSR Emojis - Vote to keep your favourite!

Hi everyone,

We feel it’s important to offer a more up to date emoji library that resonates with the age of the audience that we are trying to continue to appeal to. To do this we have decided to implement a pre-existing emoji library into The Student Room.

We are also conscious that we want to be respectful and acknowledge the history of The Student Room, lean into our individuality and make sure that our established community have a tangible input and their say.

Trying to juggle all of the above is difficult, but we think we’ve come up with a solution. We would like to provide an alternative library of emojis to sit alongside our new library. This alternative library would have a reduced offering of the current TSR emoji library. We have used three main criteria to work out which ones we should remove:

1.) Is this emoji appropriate/relevant anymore
2.) Is the quality of this emoji up to standard ( is it blurry, hard to understand ect )
3.) How often is it currently used on the site

It's worth noting that to keep historic content with old emojis intact we will simply be removing the emoji's from the library list for now rather than stopping the BBcode working entirely.

We want to offer 150 emojis in this historic library. Below are 144 that we have agreed to keep:

Spoiler

That means we have 6 more spaces... which is where we would like you to come in.

Please use this thread to nominate your favourite TSR emoji that isn't in the list above. We will take these nominations and if there are more than 6 set up a voting system till we have our final 6.

Please keep your nominations 1 per user for now and please be aware we reserve the right to veto any nomation that we feel is inappropriate.
(edited 2 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Evil Homer
Hi everyone,

We feel it’s important to offer a more up to date emoji library that resonates with the age of the audience that we are trying to continue to appeal to. To do this we have decided to implement a pre-existing emoji library into The Student Room.

We are also conscious that we want to be respectful and acknowledge the history of The Student Room, lean into our individuality and make sure that our established community have a tangible input and their say.

Trying to juggle all of the above is difficult, but we think we’ve come up with a solution. We would like to provide an alternative library of emojis to sit alongside our new library. This alternative library would have a reduced offering of the current TSR emoji library. We have used four main criteria to work out which ones we should remove:

1.) Is this emoji replicated in our new library
2.) Is this emoji appropriate/relevant anymore
3.) Is the quality of this emoji up to standard ( is it blurry, hard to understand ect )
4.) How often is it currently used on the site

It's worth noting that to keep historic content with old emojis intact we will simply be removing the emoji's from the library list for now rather than stopping the BBcode working entirely.

We want to offer 150 emojis in this historic library. Below are 144 that we have agreed to keep:

Spoiler

That means we have 6 more spaces... which is where we would like you to come in.

Please use this thread to nominate your favourite TSR emoji that isn't in the list above. We will take these nominations and if there are more than 6 set up a voting system till we have our final 6.

Please keep your nominations 1 per user for now and please be aware we reserve the right to veto any nomation that we feel is inappropriate.

Given that one of the criteria being used is "Is this emoji replicated in our new library?", it might be useful to provide a link to that new library.

Otherwise you're in danger of people voting for things which appear to be "missing" (like :crossedf:), only to find that they're in the new library anyway, meaning that their vote was wasted.
Original post by DataVenia
Given that one of the criteria being used is "Is this emoji replicated in our new library?", it might be useful to provide a link to that new library.

Otherwise you're in danger of people voting for things which appear to be "missing" (like :crossedf:), only to find that they're in the new library anyway, meaning that their vote was wasted.

link here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/misc.php?do=getsmilies&editorid=0
my nomination is :eviltongue:

That's a link to the existing set of emojis. I was suggesting that "it might be useful to provide a link to that new library."
That's a link to the existing set of emojis. I was suggesting that "it might be useful to provide a link to that new library."

I think we would potentially be happy to have those emojis voted back in so I will go in and remove that rational from the list. Thank you for flagging!
I think we would potentially be happy to have those emojis voted back in so I will go in and remove that rational from the list. Thank you for flagging!

We each have a single vote. It makes sense to use that vote wisely, and not vote for something which already exists in the new library. Users can only do that in they know what's in the new library. But they don't. So there will be lots of wasted votes. :frown:
We each have a single vote. It makes sense to use that vote wisely, and not vote for something which already exists in the new library. Users can only do that in they know what's in the new library. But they don't. So there will be lots of wasted votes. :frown:

check the spoiler in the original post

We haven't confirmed the new library yet, but I would say work under the assumption that things like fingers crossed, thumbs up, thumbs down, etc will be covered! :smile:
I'll kick off the voting with :flip:
Hi everyone,

Trying to juggle all of the above is difficult, but we think we’ve come up with a solution. We would like to provide an alternative library of emojis to sit alongside our new library. This alternative library would have a reduced offering of the current TSR emoji library. We have used three main criteria to work out which ones we should remove:

1.) Is this emoji appropriate/relevant anymore
2.) Is the quality of this emoji up to standard ( is it blurry, hard to understand ect )
3.) How often is it currently used on the site

Spoiler

Thé skull?
Reply 10
this is tricky...many of the new emojis are not moving. the classic badger does an amusing dance: :badger: whereas the new badger does nothing: 🦡
likewise the :bear: compared to the 🐻

if i had to pick one to keep it would be :pirateprincess:
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by MysteryyyGirl86
check the spoiler in the original post

Neither the link you posted nor the spoiler in the original post show the NEW library which TSR are proposing to use. You keep showing me the existing TSR icons, either the full set or the ones they're proposing to retain.

From what @RainbowLapras has posted above, this is because it hasn't been decided yet.
:cockup: (If this one gets vetoed then):

:mob: or :starwars:

Probably, id need to look at the emojis more but I think that’s it (sorry for technically doing more than one).
Reply 13
Neither the link you posted nor the spoiler in the original post show the NEW library which TSR are proposing to use. You keep showing me the existing TSR icons, either the full set or the ones they're proposing to retain.

From what @RainbowLapras has posted above, this is because it hasn't been decided yet.

i think the new ones are what you get by typing a colon.... then a letter of the alphabet

none of these are moving afaik.
Original post by the bear
i think the new ones are what you get by typing a colon.... then a letter of the alphabet

none of these are moving afaik.

They're not. TSR will be buying-in a third-party library of emojis. That's what @Evil Homer meant when he said, "To do this we have decided to implement a pre-existing emoji library into The Student Room." I (now) know that it's not the set you see when you type a colon and then a letter of the alphabet because, as has been stated above, "We haven't confirmed the new library yet."

So, for example, they might be using the ones from https://getemoji.com/ or the ones from https://tools.picsart.com/text/emojis/ or the ones from https://openmoji.org/library/ or from one of various other sources.

Rather than completely replacing the existing set of TSR emojis with the new off-the-shelf set, 150 of the existing TSR emojis will be retained, alongside the ones they import from elsewhere. I only know that because it's been properly explained on another thread. Apparently its been sufficiently poorly explained in this thread that no-one's understood.

The point I've been struggling to get across is that this whole exercise is pointless unless we know what the set purchased from a third-party will contain. I think I shall just give up on this thread.
You cannot possibly get rid of :sexface:, it's part of TSR history
Original post by secretmessages
You cannot possibly get rid of :sexface:, it's part of TSR history

Was it one of the first TSR emojis?
Original post by Talkative Toad
Was it one of the first TSR emojis?

It's certainly been around as long as I have
Original post by secretmessages
It's certainly been around as long as I have

Wouldn’t be that the case for most of the TSR emojis?
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Talkative Toad
Wouldn’t be that the case for most of the TSR emojis?

Indeed

I think I added a couple, I forget which

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending