The Student Room Group

Aberdeen/ UEA/ ARU for Medschool

Hi,

I was wondering if you'd share your thoughts and/or experiences for Aberdeen/ UEA/ Anglia Ruskin Uni to study medicine? Please feel free to share your experiences if you are studying medicine at any one of them.

From my research, I’ve learnt a lot on each but it doesn't replace the real world experiences you'd all have. I personally did my UG in UEA Pharmacy School with a fair few friends in the Med school and a few still currently there. I am also dual national so will be considered a Scottish home fees at Aberdeen (I'm self funding from locum pharmacist shifts) and was intrigued by a very unique course structure which includes rural med and humanities as well as a master's in CVD in T2DM (an area of personal interest). I also know ARU is fairly new and is only graduating its first cohort this year. On the other hand, ARU is well located especially with my family living in the Midlands it's less than 2 hours drive to them. Aberdeen tution would be a fraction the cost of the other two for me. UEA is my Alma mater so I know it very well inside and out so the adjustment will be significantly easier. Just wanted to know if anyone can help bring more insight and help shed light on these 3 choices.

Studying medicine at Aberdeen would be the cheapest out of the three, and I’m interested to know if the other two would be worth the higher price tag for their respective perks?

Thanks!
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Original post by ApothecaryMedic
Hi,

I was wondering if you'd share your thoughts and/or experiences for Aberdeen/ UEA/ Anglia Ruskin Uni to study medicine? Please feel free to share your experiences if you are studying medicine at any one of them.

From my research, I’ve learnt a lot on each but it doesn't replace the real world experiences you'd all have. I personally did my UG in UEA Pharmacy School with a fair few friends in the Med school and a few still currently there. I am also dual national so will be considered a Scottish home fees at Aberdeen (I'm self funding from locum pharmacist shifts) and was intrigued by a very unique course structure which includes rural med and humanities as well as a master's in CVD in T2DM (an area of personal interest). I also know ARU is fairly new and is only graduating its first cohort this year. On the other hand, ARU is well located especially with my family living in the Midlands it's less than 2 hours drive to them. Aberdeen tution would be a fraction the cost of the other two for me. UEA is my Alma mater so I know it very well inside and out so the adjustment will be significantly easier. Just wanted to know if anyone can help bring more insight and help shed light on these 3 choices.

Studying medicine at Aberdeen would be the cheapest out of the three, and I’m interested to know if the other two would be worth the higher price tag for their respective perks?

Thanks!

Hi, this is the University of Aberdeen rep account. Can't advise on what it's like to study Medicine with us personally, but can certainly give you some pointers on getting in contact with those who can! You can actually connect to some of our students through Unibuddy and have a chat with them about what it's like studying with us, and you can find out some more information here: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/student-life/student-chat.php

They'll also be able to help you with any questions you have about the city itself. I feel it's definitely worth weighing up factors of what's important for you to have where you're staying, what you would like to be close to or further away from, and other things about the location beyond the actual courses themselves. If you have any questions about the city or anything else we might be able to help you with then let us know!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team
Original post by ApothecaryMedic
Hi,

Thanks!

Hello, I am a student currently studying at ARU medical school. I’m in my second year and also a postgrad so I can relate a lot to this post! I personally really enjoy the structure of ARU. It’s a great medical course that places an emphasis on practical skills from first year. In Nov of my first year I was already doing weekly placements in hospital. This has massively helped with my confidence and has also boosted my clinical knowledge as I was able to consolidate my learning in real time on the wards. I enjoy the new facilities that we have, the anatomy lab in particular is excellent. Another good thing is that the cohort is relatively small. I know many of my lecturers and feel able to talk to them and approach them outside of learning time if I need any support. The university itself is well situated, 30 mins away from London and also close to London Stansted makes it easier to travel nationally. The student support is also great. As a postgrad who works, I find that working with ARU has been a great experience, I’ve had the opportunity to do paid internships, speak to local schools and colleges at fairs and do taster days. ARU is committed to Widening Participation so they truly do try to help students from a variety of backgrounds to excel whilst studying here.

as it is a newer medical school we also have lots of feedback sessions and they take our opinions on board and try to change them for the next semester/academic year if it’s feasible. This has made me more engaged with the course.

hope this helps, if you have any other questions head over to our website where we have lots of blogs about studying medicine at ARU and ARU in general all from the student perspective. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending