The Student Room Group

New Thread Experience Feedback - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Talkative Toad
You have purple? I agree about the whitespace when you have adblocker turned on.

Yeah I’m not filling out that form (mainly because I don’t care about TSR wanting to know this information).

Ah yeah sorry, I didn't realise the purple would be a bit confusing. My browser lets me customise bits and pieces about certain sites, I changed the colours because I prefer them (which is good news for the incoming TSR rebrand :lol:)

Yeah, I totally agree about the study level data harvesting thing, I'm just never going to fill it out - I haven't for the three years it's been here, so I don't plan to give in now.
Can’t you just copy and paste the content without it being in the quote?

Not if there's LaTeX in the content, no. (And I'd assume any other formatting would also get messed up).
Original post by Charles III
Ah yeah sorry, I didn't realise the purple would be a bit confusing. My browser lets me customise bits and pieces about certain sites, I changed the colours because I prefer them (which is good news for the incoming TSR rebrand :lol:)

Yeah, I totally agree about the study level data harvesting thing, I'm just never going to fill it out - I haven't for the three years it's been here, so I don't plan to give in now.

Nice browser then.

I couldn’t care less about data harvesting, it’s just that I don’t want to fill in the form or can’t be both to do it not sure which on it is.

I’m sure that I’ve filled it out before any way but there’s a high chance I’m wrong as usual.
Original post by DFranklin
Not if there's LaTeX in the content, no. (And I'd assume any other formatting would also get messed up).

I pretty much don’t use LaTeX and barely see users use it these days so I wouldn’t know. Sucks then if you heavily rely on LaTeX.
So, when I reply to myself, I can't access the LaTeX source I'm quoting (or, indeed, see more than one line of what I'm quoting). Being able to do this is necessary when replying to complex queries.

OK, so if I edit a reply I've made, I can actually access the tag code. That's something.
But I have honestly no idea what TSR was thinking rolling this out in this state.

It should display the latex/full content in the post above the reply field still - if not, could you share a screenshot, please? :holmes:

Or is it specifically that you need to be able to copy the latex content from it that's the issue?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Charles III
I know I've even defended the size of the header before as I understand it's fairly vital screen real estate for ads but it's intolerably large, the dimensions which are taken up by content versus void/non-useful space are totally out of whack.

I think for the header I'm getting hit with 35-40% of the screen, near unuseable imo.
Original post by StriderHort
I think for the header I'm getting hit with 35-40% of the screen, near unuseable imo.

Would you mind sharing a screenshot, please? I wouldn't have expected it to be taking up that much of the screen! :frown:
Original post by RambleAmple
Yes,

Does [noparse]words[/noparse]
not work?
Original post by RainbowLapras
Would you mind sharing a screenshot, please? I wouldn't have expected it to be taking up that much of the screen! :frown:

Apparently I can't, the option to upload is gone too? If I try and just paste it in I get a 'too many characters in post' error of some sort (Am I just being dense and there's an easier way to do this?
The emotes button will be added soon - in the meantime, you can add TSR emotes to your post manually, or you can add general emotes by typing : followed by the emote you wish to include - e.g. : followed by 'star' would let you add ⭐️

Ok, thank you :smile:

But, with respect, I do have to say, it seems mad to me to roll out an incomplete version of something to the general public: if simple things like the emotes tab are missing, why has this new version of TSR been sent out at all?

Just now I clicked "Reply" to your post and started writing, and then it vanished - both your original post, and my half-written reply: I was still on the same page of the thread, and both had just vanished! I had to reload the page to get them back. Please can we have the old version rolled back until this current one is finished, fixed, and ready to be seen?
Original post by EVRoosevelt
Just now I clicked "Reply" to your post and started writing, and then it vanished - both your original post, and my half-written reply: I was still on the same page of the thread, and both had just vanished! I had to reload the page to get them back. Please can we have the old version rolled back until this current one is finished, fixed, and ready to be seen?

I have experienced this error as well. Using the old app until the website works again.
Original post by penguingirl18

I have experienced this error as well. Using the old app until the website works again.

I'll have a look into this both for you tomorrow, it's not a behaviour I'd have expected :holmes:
Reply 72

Typeface too small.

Miss the coloured flags on 'Notifications'.

Dividing line between posts not definite/clear enough.

I pretty much don’t use LaTeX and barely see users use it these days so I wouldn’t know. Sucks then if you heavily rely on LaTeX.

Sadly, you're right about most users (hence us having to repeatedly ask for clarification about what people actually mean).

But almost all the maths "experts" (people with post-A-level knowledge) can and do use TeX. There are several hundred worked STEP solutions on TSR that use TeX.

(At the same time, it's not actually broken. They just only support the LaTeX tag and not the tex one (which everyone on TSR uses because it's less to type)).
Sadly, you're right about most users (hence us having to repeatedly ask for clarification about what people actually mean).

But almost all the maths "experts" (people with post-A-level knowledge) can and do use TeX. There are several hundred worked STEP solutions on TSR that use TeX.

(At the same time, it's not actually broken. They just only support the LaTeX tag and not the tex one (which everyone on TSR uses because it's less to type)).

I see, thanks for the information.
It should display the latex/full content in the post above the reply field still - if not, could you share a screenshot, please? :holmes:

Or is it specifically that you need to be able to copy the latex content from it that's the issue?

I would if I could work out how to attach one (clicking on the icon gives me a popup with a "Insert Image" button that doesn't do anything).

But specifically, (because you must be able to reproduce this) - when I reply, the quoted material only shows one line of quoted text. (i.e. I'm seeing "It should display the latex/full content in the post above the reply field still - if not, could you share a screenshot," )

Yes, the full reply is above, but when I'm already losing 50% of the vertical space due to the ridiculous advertisement-spam, it's ridiculous that I'm have to go up several lines (the one line of quoted text, the editing icons, the rep/report/reply icons - all of which are about 2 lines of normal text in height) of screenspace to get to the quoted text.
Oh, (and this is probably rather more serious from a development point of view) - it seems you've got a caching/update issue - I click on the bell at the top to get a list of updates, see that Talkative Toad has quoted me, click on that update, and it goes ...nowhere... because the page I'm on isn't updated with the new posts until I refresh.

(Or, where I first noticed this, see my post saying "This is awful" has 4 reps, go to it, and it says it only has 1 rep until I refresh).

How did your beta testing not find any of this? I mean, I've moaned about our testers not finding stuff, but this is another level entirely!
(edited 5 months ago)

As I said elsewhere, I can't work out how to attach screenshots. But I'm literally unable to fit two replies (each containing a 1 line quote and a line line reply) on the screen at once with some of the adds.
I can't upload images anymore ☹️
I hope the powers that be aren't annoyed that I'm popularising this workaround and I also hope they don't remove it :frown:

But... for now... you can access the old editor and the "preview" functionality by going to the following URL:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/newreply.php?t=XXXXXX

Replace "XXXXXX" with the numeric thread ID you'd like to reply to, which you can find in the address bar when viewing a thread. For example, this thread's ID is 7411831.
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending