The Student Room Group

New Thread Experience Feedback - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

I have just found that my bookmarked forums at the top of the page can no longer be accessed ☹️
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I have just found that my bookmarked forums at the top of the page can no longer be accessed ☹️

Is that the follow forums function?
Or the bookmarks one?
Reply 82
Original post by 04MR17

Or the bookmarks one?

The bookmarks one, under My TSR (which is gone now). How am I meant to access the money and finance forum now 😭
Original post by 04MR17
Or the bookmarks one?

It was at the top where you could manually add links to forums to my TSR. Mine doesn't appear to be fully switched, some bits are still in the old format but others are in the new one.
Minor thing I spotted today when comparing the two views; the thread starter is no longer labelled as the 'thread starter'. Instead they are now marked as 'OP'.

I don't think that's intuitive for new posters as to what it means. I've certainly answered the question "what does OP mean?" on several occasions, whereas 'thread starter' is self explanatory. There's also a huge amount of horizontal space to play with here, so it's not like the longer description would take up more lines or anything.

Screenshot 2023-11-09 200411.jpg
Original post by flowersinmyhair
It was at the top where you could manually add links to forums to my TSR. Mine doesn't appear to be fully switched, some bits are still in the old format but others are in the new one.

Okay that's the bookmarks function.
Have you got it set to "Explore TSR" or "Bookmarks" here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/profile.php?do=editoptions (scroll to the bottom)
Original post by mesub
The bookmarks one, under My TSR (which is gone now). How am I meant to access the money and finance forum now 😭

Trying following the forum and see if that works on the homepage yet. Or just save the link as a bookmark on your browser for now. Here's the link: money and finance.
(edited 5 months ago)
Please can I be reverted to the old thread experience? I was automatically pushed to the new experience today and it has been difficult to use. Thank you.
Original post by Wired_1800
Please can I be reverted to the old thread experience? I was automatically pushed to the new experience today and it has been difficult to use. Thank you.

I feel similarly, and would ask the same of the powers that be! :smile:
All my custom options have been ignored:

I opt not to show avatars but on react avatars are showing

I opt to see the maximum number of posts to a page (50? 80? Can’t remember the exact number but it’s the maximum because I prefer to scroll down long threads than click next page and wait ~10 seconds for the page to load) I have been reverted to 30 replies per page ☹️

my avatar isn’t showing on the blue bar and clicking it’s absent space doesn’t bring up the menu. I have to return to mytsr to access my user menu :indiff:

I like the look but at present it’s much less user friendly for me. I don’t want to see avatars and changing page after 30 posts feels horrible and clunky and sloooow. I gave up reading this thread after the first 60 posts. :moon:
Original post by Callicious
I can't upload images anymore ☹️

Does imgur work?
Original post by Wired_1800

Original post by EVRoosevelt
I feel similarly, and would ask the same of the powers that be! :smile:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=98917262&postcount=26
This was answered already.

The idea is that by having everyone on the new one they just work on the new system without having to worry about the old one - which should make fixing and adding stuff much quicker (I hope!)
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by 04MR17

The idea is that by having everyone on the new one they just work on the new system without having to worry about the old one

I understand, but I am hoping they will reconsider given the dissatisfaction made plain in this thread. Plus, I don't think they would have to worry about the old one! It worked well enough :smile:
I understand, but I am hoping they will reconsider given the dissatisfaction made plain in this thread. Plus, I don't think they would have to worry about the old one! It worked well enough :smile:
From quite a lot of time here, I would be very surprised if this changed. This is not bad feedback in the grand scheme of things.

And it's nice that some people think the old one worked. There are plenty of people who think it didn't and the previous thread page was preferable. It's all a matter of perspective!
Original post by 04MR17
Does imgur work?

Shouldn't need to rely on another site and login imo, big step back.

As said, to me this is borderline unuseable and I can see me not really coming back if this is how frustrating it will be.
Original post by 04MR17
From quite a lot of time here, I would be very surprised if this changed. This is not bad feedback in the grand scheme of things.

And it's nice that some people think the old one worked. There are plenty of people who think it didn't and the previous thread page was preferable. It's all a matter of perspective!

Good point!

But, I will say again that I cannot comprehend why they have rolled out the new version when it doesn't work properly! I don't mean, 'doesn't work as intended', but is flat-out missing bits, like the emotes window!
I would like a roll-back at least until the new version is of equivalent good-ness to the old version, so there is no loss in quality by using the new version.
Original post by StriderHort
Shouldn't need to rely on another site and login imo, big step back.

As said, to me this is borderline unuseable and I can see me not really coming back if this is how frustrating it will be.

I've used imgur for the past 8 years since the attachment bug, so to me it's just a sidestep.

Natural response - I feel the big thing that will affect this is how quickly it is updated from here onwards.
But, I will say again that I cannot comprehend why they have rolled out the new version when it doesn't work properly! I don't mean, 'doesn't work as intended', but is flat-out missing bits, like the emotes window!
I would like a roll-back at least until the new version is of equivalent good-ness to the old version, so there is no loss in quality by using the new version.

Because you don't need the emoticons button to post emoticons:
:smile: :ymca: :party:
All written with the codes ^
And you don't need to post with emoticons at all. It's nice to have, and you've been told it's coming soon - but it isn't a fundamental necessity for the forum to exist.

You have shared your opinion three times now, I'm sure it has been recorded.
Original post by 04MR17
Because you don't need the emoticons button to post emoticons:
:smile: :ymca: :party:
All written with the codes ^
And you don't need to post with emoticons at all. It's nice to have, and you've been told it's coming soon - but it isn't a fundamental necessity for the forum to exist.

You have shared your opinion three times now, I'm sure it has been recorded.

Not all of us are wonderfully tech-savvy, and know all the emoticon codes. People of many ages and computer-abilities use this forum, and it ought to be as inclusive as possible. The last version was objectively more inclusive in this regard.

Is there a cap on how many times I'm allowed to comment? Is there a cap on yours?
Original post by 04MR17

The idea is that by having everyone on the new one they just work on the new system without having to worry about the old one - which should make fixing and adding stuff much quicker (I hope!)

If it is possible to give users an option, that would help people to decide which one they prefer. Not sure whether Neuro-divergent individuals were considered in the new experience as the new look and feel (plus functionality) is very different and challenging.

I am still hoping that the old experience can be restored for me.
Original post by 04MR17

"Not bad feedback?" Wow. Just wow. If I'd knowingly rolled out a release in this state, I'd be worried about losing my job.

New record on the adverts btw. I can literally only see the top half of your post and my reply right now. Less than 8 lines of text on a 24 inch monitor.
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending