The Student Room Group

Struggling with concentration

So I’m in Year 13 sixth form but it seems I’m struggling since I cannot concentrate in class. I take breaks in class by doodling but it does nothing and I’m not sure what to do. My mind goes blank and I grow easily exhausted when trying to do the work. I was wondering if there was a solution? I do try my best to focus..this happens each time in class, usually in the afternoon. I have a few mental issues and was wondering if this was related?
Original post by Anonymous
So I’m in Year 13 sixth form but it seems I’m struggling since I cannot concentrate in class. I take breaks in class by doodling but it does nothing and I’m not sure what to do. My mind goes blank and I grow easily exhausted when trying to do the work. I was wondering if there was a solution? I do try my best to focus..this happens each time in class, usually in the afternoon. I have a few mental issues and was wondering if this was related?

Hi,

I'm really sorry to hear that you're going through this. I'd like to start this off by reminding you that you're not alone and that having a difficult time to concentrate is a common struggle that many students experience. Do you think there is anything happening in your life outside of school that may contribute as to why you can't concentrate?

As you mentioned that you have mental difficulties, have you considered speaking to a professional regarding these concerns? Perhaps even a counsellor in college. I hope you pay extra attention to taking care of yourself, please make sure you're receiving sufficient sleep, and you're eating and drinking well. Making sure that our body is fuelled will significantly improve our ability to focus.

I hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

When you are away from school/college, do you have similar feelings of not being able to concentrate? For instance, if you are studying at home, or at a library or at a friend's house. And away from actual studying, do you feel your mind wanders and you feel tired? If it's only at school, it could be as simple as not drinking enough water or the rooms might not have enough fresh air, and this might not suit you. If it happens whenever you study, it could be stress, especially now that you are in year 13. Taking adequate breaks (walking, cooking, dancing, whatever relaxes you) is sometimes enough to lessen stressful feelings. A lot depends on whether these feelings are new to you or whether you have always had a slightly forgetful personality - some people definitely find it harder to concentrate than others, even from an early age. It is unlikely to be a physical thing (apart from lack of sleep or food - although some food can cause a bit of an energy dip in the afternoons) but if the way you are at the moment is new, you may want to get your iron levels checked via a blood test (low iron levels are very common, and can make you feel tired and forgetful). Also common nowadays is lack of concentration, amongst all age levels, which some say is made worse by watching very short videos, which means it is harder to concentrate for long periods or even listen to a full music track!

Quick Reply

Latest