The Student Room Group

Official Politics and/or International Relations Applicants Thread 2024

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hi everybody, I just wanted to ask how much I should weigh a university’s subject ranking in my final decision on which offers to accept (when I get them all ahha)? How much does it affect employment and grad prospects etc.? Obviously I know big names like Oxbridge and LSE carry, but in other programmes does it really matter, especially over things like good modules or internship links? I currently hold offers to both Warwick and Liverpool, and while I loved Liverpools course so so much - I am put off by its ranking - should I be or is this really not that significant?
Anyone heard from Bristol University yet?
Original post by LuluLaLou
Anyone heard from Bristol University yet?
Got an offer for politics mid Feb after being put on hold since October
Original post by Cecilly
Hi everybody, I just wanted to ask how much I should weigh a university’s subject ranking in my final decision on which offers to accept (when I get them all ahha)? How much does it affect employment and grad prospects etc.? Obviously I know big names like Oxbridge and LSE carry, but in other programmes does it really matter, especially over things like good modules or internship links? I currently hold offers to both Warwick and Liverpool, and while I loved Liverpools course so so much - I am put off by its ranking - should I be or is this really not that significant?
I would say graduate employability is something you should of course consider the most. But I think Liverpool is a Russell Group for a reason and has its links so if you love the course that much( compared to that of Warwick) I’d say go for it. However if you like Warwick’s course and area and clearly employability stats then I’d say go for Warwick simply because it sets you on the right path
Original post by cwilts25
i got mine through last week! shouldn't be long
What were your predicteds ?
Original post by sophimans
Hey I applied for IR and pol at UCL which is a similar field to European Social and Political studies, but I haven’t received an offer yet. I have heard that many people are still waiting on theirs
Hi ! Same here, I am still waiting for UCL (I've applied for Politics and IR). Apparently it's a good thing if the uni takes time to answer bc they usually give rejection first. Is that true ?
Original post by withlove.ym
Hi ! Same here, I am still waiting for UCL (I've applied for Politics and IR). Apparently it's a good thing if the uni takes time to answer bc they usually give rejection first. Is that true ?
I got my offer for pol and ir last week, there was a whole batch of offers
Original post by hahaaddie
I got my offer for pol and ir last week, there was a whole batch of offers
Ohhh congrats !! When did you apply ? Do you think that the time in which you applied has an impact on when you get your decision ?
Original post by withlove.ym
Ohhh congrats !! When did you apply ? Do you think that the time in which you applied has an impact on when you get your decision ?

I was part of the batch that got Pol+IR offers last week, I applied in October
Original post by joe_y.i
I was part of the batch that got Pol+IR offers last week, I applied in October
Hmm okay. I applied later so I might get an answer later too right ?
Original post by Sha24
Anyone heard from
Durham?
Yes rejected. A*AA predicted
Has anyone received offers/ applied to Cardiff uni ( pol and ir) or Uni of Glasgow (just politics)?
Original post by Foxystudys
Has anyone received offers/ applied to Cardiff uni ( pol and ir) or Uni of Glasgow (just politics)?
l had a Cardiff offer for IR and Politics mid Feb, still waiting on Bristol though…..
l had a Cardiff offer for IR and Politics mid Feb, still waiting on Bristol though…..

Would Cardiff be your first choice?

i received cardiff for IR and pol back in november
Would Cardiff be your first choice?

Haven’t 100% decided. I did attend an offer holder event and was pretty impressed though.
I’m still waiting on Bristol decision and will be attending a Loughborough event soon to compare which appeals to me the most.
You?
Helllllp! Finally heard back from Bristol regarding International Relations and Politics but they’ve offered me Social Policy instead.
I don’t know if this just too much like flat ol’ Sociology (that l find easy and seem to have a natural aptitude for, and have been studying since GCSE). Thoughts please……
Helllllp! Finally heard back from Bristol regarding International Relations and Politics but they’ve offered me Social Policy instead.
I don’t know if this just too much like flat ol’ Sociology (that l find easy and seem to have a natural aptitude for, and have been studying since GCSE). Thoughts please……

social policy is more about how governments choose to implement certain policies and how they affect groups of society and key salient issues we face today. I think if you like sociology, it will be a good fit but if you prefer political theory and global stage then maybe not
Original post by hahaaddie
social policy is more about how governments choose to implement certain policies and how they affect groups of society and key salient issues we face today. I think if you like sociology, it will be a good fit but if you prefer political theory and global stage then maybe not

That’s my gut feeling too. Thanks.
Reply 59
Hey everyone,
If anyone has an offer for Exeter politics/IR a few of us have made an instagram groupchat, so just let me know if you’d like to join 😄👍

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending