The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Official SOAS University of London Applicant Thread for 2024

Hi there,

Welcome to the official SOAS University of London Applicant Thread for 2024! Here, you have the opportunity to meet and chat with fellow applicants and ask any questions you want regarding applying to SOAS University of London.

Below are some icebreaker questions to help you get started:

“What course are you applying for?”
“Will you be attending any Open Days?”
“How are you feeling about starting University?”

Get involved in more conversations by visiting our directory here and join in with the Yr 13 Chat thread here.

Good luck and happy posting!

Scroll to see replies

has anyone who has already applied received an email from soas confirming the application?
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Original post by surly-scrim
has anyone who has already applied received an email from soas confirming the application?

Nope, I send mine off about a week ago now and have received 4/5 offers back but still waiting on SOAS, no confirmation email from them either. They are known for their disorganisation tho so I'm not surprised 🤷*♀️
Reply 3

Yes, I got mine a week after applying, is your still missing?
Reply 4
Hi! I am applying to study BA Japanese, I attended an open and loved it. Plus I've got the offer and already have my grades (did A levels last year) so I can't wait to start!
Reply 5
Original post by Grant18
Yes, I got mine a week after applying, is your still missing?

Yup. I've sent them an email before I applied and it took them 5 months to reply so at this point I'm not surprised
Reply 6
Original post by ltoliveira
Yup. I've sent them an email before I applied and it took them 5 months to reply so at this point I'm not surprised

Damn, that sucks. I hope they get their act together and that you hear back soon
Reply 7
applied for international relations and chinese, and politics and chinese. really hoping i get in as i loved the uni when i visited
Original post by Grant18
Hi! I am applying to study BA Japanese, I attended an open and loved it. Plus I've got the offer and already have my grades (did A levels last year) so I can't wait to start!

Congratulations on your offer and we're so glad that you loved the open day! Looking forward to having you on campus
Original post by J_fulford
applied for international relations and chinese, and politics and chinese. really hoping i get in as i loved the uni when i visited

Good luck! I'm a final year Arabic and International Relations student so if you have any questions about politics at SOAS or university life I'd be happy to answer them!
Reply 10
Original post by SOAS Student Rep
Good luck! I'm a final year Arabic and International Relations student so if you have any questions about politics at SOAS or university life I'd be happy to answer them!

Thank you! i just received acceptance for both politics and chinese and international relations and chinese! how are you finding the international relations course and were you able to do the year abroad for Arabic? if so did you enjoy it?
Reply 11
Is anyone planning to apply for economics or global development? Since I'm planning to do both as a combined degree. I'm so nervous to send the UCAS application next week, so I just want to know if anyone is in the same boat currently
Reply 12

Hii I got an offer for Arabic and politics! I was just wondering about the level of fluency you would get at the end of the course for a complete beginner
Reply 13

I didnt but I still received an offer so dwww
Original post by J_fulford
Thank you! i just received acceptance for both politics and chinese and international relations and chinese! how are you finding the international relations course and were you able to do the year abroad for Arabic? if so did you enjoy it?

Congratulations, that's amazing! Which one will you choose? I really enjoy the IR course and find it super interesting as in first year I learnt all the theories and in second year I could choose modules related to the Middle East and international institutions and this year I'm learning about global conflicts and injustices. I also really like that in every IR module, they challenge you to think outside the status quo and critique our original perspectives. Yes, I did the year abroad last year in Jordan and it was so much fun. We studied at a language institute and went on trips around the country and travelled around the Middle East too!
Reply 15
Original post by ReTrO777
Is anyone planning to apply for economics or global development? Since I'm planning to do both as a combined degree. I'm so nervous to send the UCAS application next week, so I just want to know if anyone is in the same boat currently

Hi ! I applied for economics and japanese, a combined degree, and I got my offer the other day so I totally get how you’re feeling. I was so stressed sending in my UCAS but if you’ve got the grades and a solid application then you’ll definitely be okay! I wish you good luck
Reply 16
Congratulations, that's amazing! Which one will you choose? I really enjoy the IR course and find it super interesting as in first year I learnt all the theories and in second year I could choose modules related to the Middle East and international institutions and this year I'm learning about global conflicts and injustices. I also really like that in every IR module, they challenge you to think outside the status quo and critique our original perspectives. Yes, I did the year abroad last year in Jordan and it was so much fun. We studied at a language institute and went on trips around the country and travelled around the Middle East too!

thank you! I put down IR + chinese as my firm choice, and thanks for giving me some insight!
Reply 17
Original post by lanavelyy
Hi ! I applied for economics and japanese, a combined degree, and I got my offer the other day so I totally get how you’re feeling. I was so stressed sending in my UCAS but if you’ve got the grades and a solid application then you’ll definitely be okay! I wish you good luck

Hey I actually got an offer a few days ago I got an offer and I was so relieved haha. Also congrats to you! Japanese is such a hard but rewarding language to study, been studying it myself in Japan actually
HII, I've recently gotten an offer to study Korean and Linguistics! I'm really looking forward to starting the course next year as it's a course I've been wanting to do for many years now :smile:)
Original post by Evil Homer
Hi there,

Welcome to the official SOAS University of London Applicant Thread for 2024! Here, you have the opportunity to meet and chat with fellow applicants and ask any questions you want regarding applying to SOAS University of London.

Below are some icebreaker questions to help you get started:

“What course are you applying for?”
“Will you be attending any Open Days?”
“How are you feeling about starting University?”

Get involved in more conversations by visiting our directory here and join in with the Yr 13 Chat thread here.

Good luck and happy posting!

anyone know when 2024/2025 accommodation can be booked? Tried googling when it should be but there's its help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending