The Student Room Group

Have the police lost control?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StriderHort
Your definitions of appropriate punishment are in excess of the norm, we both know it. (You mentioned something about intentionally building 'cesspits' for people earlier?)

I'm not denying for a second the UK has issues with crime, funding, police conduct and the legal system, but frankly I'm a bit too aware and educated to fall for or accept all this emotive exaggeration. You can cherry pick newsworthy articles to your hearts content but the majority of police & court work never reaches your ears and you've no motive to seek it out.

And you’re definition of punishment is no doubt 20 years and a bit of rehabilitation for even the worst of crimes…

Thinking you’re educated enough and being educated enough are two separate things and don’t change the fact that you seem aptly unaware of the levels of crime being witnessed. Only about 5% of crime is actually charged and solved. The public know that. Would you bother reporting low level crime?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by imlikeahermit
And you’re definition of punishment is no doubt 20 years and a bit of rehabilitation for even the worst of crimes…

Thinking you’re educated enough and being educated enough are two separate things and don’t change the fact that you seem aptly unaware of the levels of crime being witnessed. Only about 5% of crime is actually charged and solved. The public know that. Would you bother reporting low level crime?

God forbid you ask me what my definitions are, rather than making some up and attributing them to me.
This is what I mean by educated, in that this sort of manipulative sophistry isn't good enough, I can see right through it. Likewise I haven't actually stated a level of crime I believe is witnessed, but you've helpfully chosen an answer for me, but despite judging me for it, won't tell me what it was :tongue:

Well funny you should divert to low level crime (is there such a thing to you?) how many of this % of crimes reported are actually just nonsense that never should have even warranted a phone call? That sort of detail matters.
God forbid you ask me what my definitions are, rather than making some up and attributing them to me.
This is what I mean by educated, in that this sort of manipulative sophistry isn't good enough, I can see right through it. Likewise I haven't actually stated a level of crime I believe is witnessed, but you've helpfully chosen an answer for me, but despite judging me for it, won't tell me what it was :tongue:

Well funny you should divert to low level crime (is there such a thing to you?) how many of this % of crimes reported are actually just nonsense that never should have even warranted a phone call? That sort of detail matters.

What is your definition then? If it’s not 20 years and a bit of rehabilitation what is it? Let’s take murder as an example.
Original post by Thislife100121
The rate of crime is going up, people do not fear the police anymore, they know the police won’t catch them

I can only speak from experience, limited as it is. It is always best to move about in groups when going outside, the reason being that each member of that group is a potential voter.
What is your definition then? If it’s not 20 years and a bit of rehabilitation what is it? Let’s take murder as an example.

No reply eh? Thought as much. :rolleyes:
Well we've raised our prison pop by about 20% since last year, so we're apparently jailing people for something.

For saying mean things on the internet towards the special people.
Original post by TheStupidMoon

PRSOM
Original post by TheStupidMoon

*shrug* you either count crime honestly or you don't.. what you feel about a particular niche crime is largely irrelevant.
No reply eh? Thought as much. :rolleyes:

Believe it or not I have other things to do than jump to reply, like enjoying time with my partner :wink:

For premeditated murder I think a 'life' sentence should be a starting point, whether they ever get a shot at parole or release on licence is down to how they behave over the years, but might never happen. But I don't favour whole life terms without extremely aggravating factors -ie the Letby nurse
Yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending