The Student Room Group

Is university right for me?

Life story short, I have social anxiety and struggle with motivation, procrastination and managing my time as well as care responsibilities. But I'm really fed up of wasting my life and want to give education another go since getting and keeping a job has not worked out for me so far... I keep wondering "what if" and don't want to regret not trying. If you've been in a similar situation and are now in Uni, or you're considering it yourself but feel anxious, I'd love to hear from you!
Original post by Anonymous #1
Life story short, I have social anxiety and struggle with motivation, procrastination and managing my time as well as care responsibilities. But I'm really fed up of wasting my life and want to give education another go since getting and keeping a job has not worked out for me so far... I keep wondering "what if" and don't want to regret not trying. If you've been in a similar situation and are now in Uni, or you're considering it yourself but feel anxious, I'd love to hear from you!

Hi anonymous,

Sorry to hear you have been feeling like this. It can be tricky to juggle all of these things at once. I am a carer at home too and it can be tricky to balance lots of things at once.

I would say look into universities and see if there is a course that you are interested in. If there is, I think you should consider going for it! I am so glad I decided to go to uni after two gap years and wondering if it was for me so I definitely think you should consider it.

There's lots of options for you- you could go to a university near your house and commute or near home and live in halls. Or you could move away from home completely.

There are also bursaries at a lot of universities for carers so this may be something you want to look into as this could help you. I would talk to friends and family about it and see what they think and then see if it's right for you.

I hope this helps,
Lucy- SHU student ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest