The Student Room Group

Msc finance

Hi guys,
I am writing this text to ask about the admission process in applying for postgraduate courses in the UK. i have applied for warwick msc finance and msc finance&economics, imperial MSc finance and KCL MSc banking&finance. Yesterday, after 10 days of applying i was rejected from warwick MSc finance&economics and i was quite surprised because i thought i am a strong candidate. I can't understand the reason for the early rejection. I am still waiting for the other universities. I want to ask you if the two Warwick programs are related to each other. I mean if the rejection of one program will affect the other application at warwick?
I want to quickly demonstrate my profile:
*First class with honors from the 2nd best Greek economic university (finance and accounting).
*IELTS 7/9 (all parts equal to 7)
*German language certificate
*Member of the finance club + activities
*extracurricular distinctions ( volunteering)
*Courses (bloomberg market concepts,cfi)
*Two internships during my undergraduate program.
*1 year of work experience as financial analyst
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by george1578
Hi guys,
I am writing this text to ask about the admission process in applying for postgraduate courses in the UK. i have applied for warwick msc finance and msc finance&economics, imperial MSc finance and KCL MSc banking&finance. Yesterday, after 10 days of applying i was rejected from warwick MSc finance&economics and i was quite surprised because i thought i am a strong candidate. I can't understand the reason for the early rejection. I am still waiting for the other universities. I want to ask you if the two Warwick programs are related to each other. I mean if the rejection of one program will affect the other application at warwick?
I want to quickly demonstrate my profile:
*First class with honors from the 2nd best Greek economic university (finance and accounting).
*IELTS 7/9 (all parts equal to 7)
*German language certificate
*Member of the finance club + activities
*extracurricular distinctions ( volunteering)
*Courses (bloomberg market concepts,cfi)
*Two internships during my undergraduate program.
*1 year of work experience as financial analyst

Warwick's MSc Economics and Finance course specifically states that successful applicants normally need an undergraduate degree in economics, or a degree with a significant economics component. So an undergraduate degree in accounting and finance wouldn't meet this requirement.

Even when you look through the modules, it's clear that Warwick's E&F course is mostly an MSc economics degree, with some finance modules. So naturally they require a different background to grads from accounting and finance courses. I imagine you probably have a better chance at the three finance master's you said you applied for, but ultimately they're all still fairly competitive.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BenRyan99
Warwick's MSc Economics and Finance course specifically states that successful applicants normally need an undergraduate degree in economics, or a degree with a significant economics component. So an undergraduate degree in accounting and finance wouldn't meet this requirement.

Even when you look through the modules, it's clear that Warwick's E&F course is mostly an MSc economics degree, with some finance modules. So naturally they require a different background to grads from accounting and finance courses. I imagine you probably have a better chance at the three finance master's you said you applied for, but ultimately they're all still fairly competitive.

So, if I understand correctly, I might have better luck for the MSc finance at Warwick that I've applied to?
So, if I understand correctly, I might have better luck for the MSc finance at Warwick that I've applied to?

Yes, I think so. The likely reason you were rejected from the other course at Warwick, shouldn't hold you back for their MSc Finance course. But as I tried to allude to, these are all fairly competitive unis for finance master's courses. So I can't say it's likely or unlikely that you'll get an offer
Reply 4
Yes, I think so. The likely reason you were rejected from the other course at Warwick, shouldn't hold you back for their MSc Finance course. But as I tried to allude to, these are all fairly competitive unis for finance master's courses. So I can't say it's likely or unlikely that you'll get an offer

Thanks for the useful response.Would you advise me to apply to more universities in order to secure a place on a Master's degree in finance or should I wait for these 3 universities?
Hi George,

Sorry to hear about your rejection, and best of luck with the others. I think I have also just posted on another of your threads too.

If you are thinking about September 2024 entry and thinking of doing more/ alternative applications, Cranfield could be a great option to consider. Because we don't have undergraduate applications to deal with, we have our own timelines for postgraduate applications that might differ from the other universities you applied to.

Three courses you might be interested in:
Finance MSc:
https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/som/masters-courses/finance

Accounting and Finance MSc:
https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/som/masters-courses/accounting-and-finance

Banking, Economics and Finance MSc:
https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/som/masters-courses/banking-economics-and-finance
(Note that this course is accredited by the Charter Banker Institute. You can obtain the professional qualification of Associate Chartered Banker (subject to pass criteria)).

There are new scholarships that might be of interest.

I can see that for September 2024 entry, you can apply by Monday 1 July 2024 as an international or European student (requiring a visa to study in the UK).

Gemma
2nd year Environment & Agrifood PhD student
Cranfield Student Ambassador
Thanks for the useful response.Would you advise me to apply to more universities in order to secure a place on a Master's degree in finance or should I wait for these 3 universities?

Outside of Oxbridge and UCL, you've applied to most of the main economics/finance unis in the UK. But there are also lots of quality courses on the continent that could be worth applying to. Whether you should/shouldn't apply for others, it's difficult for me to say. I don't know what your odds are at these UK unis, and I also don't know all the other factors that drive the decision of whether to apply to others, e.g. time for the applications, application fees, tuition costs, student Visa rules for European courses (tho I imagine this shouldn't be an issue if you're Greek), etc.
Reply 7
Outside of Oxbridge and UCL, you've applied to most of the main economics/finance unis in the UK. But there are also lots of quality courses on the continent that could be worth applying to. Whether you should/shouldn't apply for others, it's difficult for me to say. I don't know what your odds are at these UK unis, and I also don't know all the other factors that drive the decision of whether to apply to others, e.g. time for the applications, application fees, tuition costs, student Visa rules for European courses (tho I imagine this shouldn't be an issue if you're Greek), etc.

I have just been invited to participate in the Imperial interview. I hope it will go well. Would you like to give me some tips for the interview ?
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 8

Hi, i am a third year student at russel group university doing BSc accounting and finance, got 2:2(55%) in my second year due to extenuating circumstances, have the proofs, currently my first term marks are somewhere in between 65-75%, what are the chances of getting into Msc Economics and Finance related courses at UCL or KCL, also have working experience of 1 year in total in business analytics
Original post by azika
Hi, i am a third year student at russel group university doing BSc accounting and finance, got 2:2(55%) in my second year due to extenuating circumstances, have the proofs, currently my first term marks are somewhere in between 65-75%, what are the chances of getting into Msc Economics and Finance related courses at UCL or KCL, also have working experience of 1 year in total in business analytics

I don't work in their admission teams, how am I meant to know?
Original post by azika

(I do work in postgrad admissions.)

Based purely on what you’ve said, probably low. But I haven’t seen your transcript or know anything about your mitigating circumstances. But bear in mind that for those subject areas at those unis they can afford to be picky.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending