The Student Room Group

MSc Economics and Strategy for Business from Imperial College

I have an offer for the above course and while it was amongst my top choices while applying, I've since been told that Imperial College is known for its science and engineering courses. How reputed is the business school and how well does it compare to oxbridge?

Also does anyone have an idea how good my course is compared to other Msc courses offered by Imperial? Is it suitable for someone wanting to make it in the banking/consultancy scene in London?

Any an all advises are welcome as I am nervous before making a significant investment
Original post by Abhi88
I have an offer for the above course and while it was amongst my top choices while applying, I've since been told that Imperial College is known for its science and engineering courses. How reputed is the business school and how well does it compare to oxbridge?

Also does anyone have an idea how good my course is compared to other Msc courses offered by Imperial? Is it suitable for someone wanting to make it in the banking/consultancy scene in London?

Any an all advises are welcome as I am nervous before making a significant investment

I think the course is pretty good for consulting, I've seen people from the course to into the top strategy consulting firms. So on that front, I think it's solid.

Beyond that, I think the course is slightly odd in the sense that if you want to go into economics, it's not a super rigorous economics course so there might not be a tonne of value add beyond Imperial's brand name.

And I think if you're wanting to go into finance/banking then you'd be much better off doing imperial's finance courses e.g. MSc Finance, MSc Finance & Accounting, MSc Investment & Wealth Management, and the MSc Risk Management & Financial Engineering. These will cover the more advanced financial topics.

Therefore, I think the MSc Economics & Strategy for Business is a bit of 'jack of all trades, master of none' sort of course, which is why it's sort of geared towards those wanting to go into consultancies. So if you want a career in consulting then I'm sure it's solid (and no more expensive than other courses from top unis that gear you up for consulting), but there are better options if you want to go into other fields e.g. banking/economics.
Reply 2
Original post by BenRyan99
I think the course is pretty good for consulting, I've seen people from the course to into the top strategy consulting firms. So on that front, I think it's solid.

Beyond that, I think the course is slightly odd in the sense that if you want to go into economics, it's not a super rigorous economics course so there might not be a tonne of value add beyond Imperial's brand name.

And I think if you're wanting to go into finance/banking then you'd be much better off doing imperial's finance courses e.g. MSc Finance, MSc Finance & Accounting, MSc Investment & Wealth Management, and the MSc Risk Management & Financial Engineering. These will cover the more advanced financial topics.

Therefore, I think the MSc Economics & Strategy for Business is a bit of 'jack of all trades, master of none' sort of course, which is why it's sort of geared towards those wanting to go into consultancies. So if you want a career in consulting then I'm sure it's solid (and no more expensive than other courses from top unis that gear you up for consulting), but there are better options if you want to go into other fields e.g. banking/economics.

Thank you for your reply! Consulting is definitely something that I have in mind. Given that I am also doing CFA, I felt like doing simply an MSc Finance wouldn't add much to my CV.
Also on the topic of Imperial's brand name, how big is the business school in the UK. Does it have the same reputation as its Engineering Courses?
Original post by Abhi88
Thank you for your reply! Consulting is definitely something that I have in mind. Given that I am also doing CFA, I felt like doing simply an MSc Finance wouldn't add much to my CV.
Also on the topic of Imperial's brand name, how big is the business school in the UK. Does it have the same reputation as its Engineering Courses?

The CFA is more a generalist course in financial markets whereas most finance master's courses are more specific, especially ones like the last two I mentioned in my previous post. Beyond this, given the CFA doesn't have a too much content on the corporate finance side of finance, some people like to do a master's to improve their knowledge on those topics.

If one is wanting to go into finance, then doing a non-finance master's because you're already doing the CFA seems like an odd approach to take, you may as well just not do a master's if you think the CFA covers the relevant financial topics. If you look at what's covered in imperial's ESB course, banks aren't going to care if you've covered things like digital economics, public policy economics, business economics, or the optionals like economics of healthcare, energy business, etc.

If you're comparing the business school to imperial's STEM rep then you're comparing apples and oranges really because the business school is only really for postgrads, so they're not equivalent. But I think for their finance courses, Imperial has a strong rep in the UK in finance and consulting. Although it definitely doesn't have a strong rep for economics. Worth remembering tho that most banks/finance firms hire from their summer intern class, rather than master's students.
Reply 4
The CFA is more a generalist course in financial markets whereas most finance master's courses are more specific, especially ones like the last two I mentioned in my previous post. Beyond this, given the CFA doesn't have a too much content on the corporate finance side of finance, some people like to do a master's to improve their knowledge on those topics.

If one is wanting to go into finance, then doing a non-finance master's because you're already doing the CFA seems like an odd approach to take, you may as well just not do a master's if you think the CFA covers the relevant financial topics. If you look at what's covered in imperial's ESB course, banks aren't going to care if you've covered things like digital economics, public policy economics, business economics, or the optionals like economics of healthcare, energy business, etc.

If you're comparing the business school to imperial's STEM rep then you're comparing apples and oranges really because the business school is only really for postgrads, so they're not equivalent. But I think for their finance courses, Imperial has a strong rep in the UK in finance and consulting. Although it definitely doesn't have a strong rep for economics. Worth remembering tho that most banks/finance firms hire from their summer intern class, rather than master's students.

Thanks for your advise. I'll definitely look into changing my strategy based on the same. I applied to courses based on the subjects that interested me but should have probably researched a bit more on the career paths they provide
Original post by Abhi88
Thanks for your advise. I'll definitely look into changing my strategy based on the same. I applied to courses based on the subjects that interested me but should have probably researched a bit more on the career paths they provide

No worries. I think you have to view postgrad study slightly differently to undergrad degrees. Postgrad is additional study that can be super expensive, so if you're not looking to go into academia and the course doesn't further your career, then it's a very very expensive way to spend a year study what you like (especially for the business school subjects which are super expensive).
Reply 6
No worries. I think you have to view postgrad study slightly differently to undergrad degrees. Postgrad is additional study that can be super expensive, so if you're not looking to go into academia and the course doesn't further your career, then it's a very very expensive way to spend a year study what you like (especially for the business school subjects which are super expensive).

Yes fortunately consultancy is an option I am inclined to so I may yet take up the degree, but will certainly map my career path more clearly based on what you've said. Will also keep in mind your summer intern class advise if I decide to go for banking anyway :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Abhi88
Yes fortunately consultancy is an option I am inclined to so I may yet take up the degree, but will certainly map my career path more clearly based on what you've said. Will also keep in mind your summer intern class advise if I decide to go for banking anyway :smile:

Hi could you please tell me the time frame that you got your Kira interview and offer ? I’m waiting on mine after the interview. Thanks !!
Reply 8
Original post by harry1223
Hi could you please tell me the time frame that you got your Kira interview and offer ? I’m waiting on mine after the interview. Thanks !!

I completed my application on 13th Oct and interview a week later. Got the offer on 30th Nov. All the best for your application!!
Reply 9
Hey!! Congratulations
Even I applied for the same course and got an offer for the same. Let's connect!!
Reply 10
Original post by Abhi88
I completed my application on 13th Oct and interview a week later. Got the offer on 30th Nov. All the best for your application!!

Hey! Congratulations on your offer! I have just got the Kira interview for the MSc Economics and Strategy for Business, is there any chance you could share some of the questions they asked?
Reply 11
Original post by Abhi88

Hey ! I ended up getting in ! So excited to go !! :smile:
Reply 12

Hey! Congratulations on your offer! I have just got the Kira interview for the MSc Economics and Strategy for Business, is there any chance you could share some of the questions they asked?
Hey! I am starting my application for the same course. Any tips or advice? Actually, I am confused between applying for MSc Finance or MSc Economics and Strategy for Business, idk what I should do. Why did you guys choose this particular course?
Original post by Coffee2308
Hey! I am starting my application for the same course. Any tips or advice? Actually, I am confused between applying for MSc Finance or MSc Economics and Strategy for Business, idk what I should do. Why did you guys choose this particular course?

The MSc Finance and MSc Economics & Strategy for Business are two very different courses.

You've really got to think about what sort of academic content you enjoy and what do you want to get out of the MSc. The modules are fairly distinct between the two courses, and you can generally see that MSc Finance course grads go onto mostly work in finance (obviously), while MSc ESB grads most work in the consulting industry afterwards.

Hi! May i know your application timeframe? Thanks :smile:
Hey, i applied a week ago for the ESB course but haven’t heard back for any interview yet.
What questions do they ask and whats the timeframe?

Hey what questions did they ask
Original post by Shafali25
Hey!! Congratulations
Even I applied for the same course and got an offer for the same. Let's connect!!

What questions fid they ask?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending