The Student Room Group

Urban planning/surveying applicants 2024 entry

I’m wanting to apply to the following UP/surveying courses.

K403 Master of Planning with Professional Placement
University of Manchester

K400 MPlan Urban Studies and Planning
University of Sheffield

K400 MPlan Planning
Newcastle University

K400 MPlan Town and Regional Planning
University of Liverpool

HK22 Commercial Management and Quantity Surveying (with placement year)
Loughborough University

I would appreciate it a lot if theres any comments on these courses by current or students that have done this course - most importantly, are the courses as interesting and suited just as told by the lectures? As I know that they would obviously speak all the positives and exaggerate them. I just wanna know the reality about these courses.

I didn't get the chance to visit Newcastle and loughbourgh as i live too far away, how is the student life and the campus like there?? And is it also comfortable and relatively affordable to live there? And also what are the accommodations and prices like??

Basically anything related to the courses and the unis and the respective cities would be very much appreciated. Thank you!!
Original post by bryantw17

University of Manchester

University of Sheffield

K400 MPlan Planning
Newcastle University

University of Liverpool

Loughborough University

I would appreciate it a lot if theres any comments on these courses by current or students that have done this course - most importantly, are the courses as interesting and suited just as told by the lectures? As I know that they would obviously speak all the positives and exaggerate them. I just wanna know the reality about these courses.

I didn't get the chance to visit Newcastle and loughbourgh as i live too far away, how is the student life and the campus like there?? And is it also comfortable and relatively affordable to live there? And also what are the accommodations and prices like??

Basically anything related to the courses and the unis and the respective cities would be very much appreciated. Thank you!!

I've made your thread into a 'sticky' so that is stays at the top of forum and edited the heading slightly to encourage fellow urban planning applicants to join in. :smile:

I gave you some pointers on living costs on your other thread and hopefully the official uni reps will contribute more.
(edited 5 months ago)

University of Manchester

University of Sheffield

K400 MPlan Planning
Newcastle University

University of Liverpool

Loughborough University

Hi @bryantw17

It's great to hear you are considering Loughborough!

I don't do that course but I would recommend, if you haven't already, taking a look at the course page on our website here.
This page gives lots of details on what the course entails. If you scroll down to 'What you will study' it breaks the course down into what modules you will study each year with extra module details. There are also further details on the option of the placement year and study abroad which you may find helpful. Also, right at the bottom of that page are contact details, so if you have any specific questions I would recommend asking there.

I have just finished my second year at Loughborough so can give you a bit of insight about Loughborough. There are so many opportunities available: from sport to societies and RAG (just a few examples of what is offered) there's so much to get involved in! I really like the campus and community feel of Loughborough it really feels like a student town- you tend to bump into people you know wherever you are which is nice to see a friendly face! I tend to spend most weekdays on campus as there is lots going on for example studying, watching sports teams play and nights out at the union! Weekends I usually go into town- there are lots of nice coffee shops and restaurants and places to go out in evenings. As Loughborough can't offer what big cities can offer we sometimes get the train to Nottingham or Leicester, for a city atmosphere, which are both about 20 minutes away on the train and easy enough to do as the train station is very close and there is a campus shuttle that operates about every 10 minutes.

My personal experience of Loughborough would be that is pretty affordable- but like all places it depends where you go and what you want to do. For example, the union is good value but some bars in town can be more expensive. We do have more student bars in town which have deals so I find it ok!

Accommodation varies. I would take a look at our accommodation page:
If you take a look at 'Our halls' this shows where students tend to live in their first year. I found this good value for money when I lived in halls in my first year.

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions please feel free to ask :smile:

Alex

University of Manchester

University of Sheffield

K400 MPlan Planning
Newcastle University

University of Liverpool

Loughborough University

Im in a similar situation and have applied for all of those except loughborough! Obviously dont have first hand experience but from what ive heard newcastle has a great student life and nightlife, while Loughborough is more campus based, sporty and chiller. Loughborough obviously isnt in a city really so it makes sense, depends what you’re looking for. Another thing id consider is that Loughborough isn't RTPI accredited, and some jobs do prefer if you are accredited but up to you.
Reply 4
It's an interesting set of choices - you have 4 MPlans (presumably all RTPI) and 1 QS (Loughborough - presumably RICS/CIOB). From a prospects perspective they are all very respectable - the QS option will likely lead to larger salaries, but neither RTPI nor QS are really for me so I wouldn't like to comment on how interesting you find them.

Loughborough is a very nice town (excellent fruit and veg in the market) and the campus is one of the largest in Europe. If you want a larger town, but not too large then Newcastle is very nice (but colder and hillier!) my guess would be that you'd find yourself living out a bit further in Newcastle - but there's a metro system.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending