The Student Room Group

Has someone done Architecture at uni without maths or physics

Because I've heard that maths and physics a level are really good to get into architecture at uni I picked it howver now I've changed my mind because I know I won't do very good in either subjects as in the most I would get would be B's and i want to attend university college London.

So I've chose 3D design, Textiles and economics instead but I wanted to know if anyone else has gotten in without maths/physics.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Una_.07
Because I've heard that maths and physics a level are really good to get into architecture at uni I picked it howver now I've changed my mind because I know I won't do very good in either subjects as in the most I would get would be B's and i want to attend university college London.

So I've chose 3D design, Textiles and economics instead but I wanted to know if anyone else has gotten in without maths/physics.

This is what they say “AAB
Subjects
No specific subjects. Comprehensive portfolio of creative work required upon invitation, at application stage. At least two A level subjects should be taken from UCL's list of preferred A level subjects.”

Here’s the preferred list, scroll down

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/how-apply/entry-requirements
Original post by Una_.07

Lots of people do architecture without having maths and physics. My son has found the maths content of his course to be around GCSE level. The following thread gives the A level requirements for RIBA-approved courses in the UK:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by normaw
Lots of people do architecture without having maths and physics. My son has found the maths content of his course to be around GCSE level. The following thread gives the A level requirements for RIBA-approved courses in the UK:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710

This is very reassuring to know😭 thank you!
Reply 4
pick what you love - so many make the mistake of sticking with maths and physics when they don't want to (and either don't enjoy it or don't get the required grades!)
i'm studying 3d design, psychology, and politics alongside a couple of smaller qualifications, and applying for uni entry next year. 3d design is super useful and will prepare you in such a way which will put you at ease during first year (especially with hands-on making). most unis have no preferred subjects, including the Bartlett.
Reply 5
Yeah, the maths and physics in an architecture degree is super easy and you don't need any of the stuff you'd learn at A level. The only maths I recall using aside from basic arithmetic was trigonometry, and moments cropped up a few times (for structural calculations) on the physics side of things.
Original post by Una_.07

Some of the Universities do require A Level Mathematics, especially the Top Universities,

However, you can enroll without Mathematics but you need to check which Universities will accept you. For example, Ravensbourne Universtiy
IMG_5671.png
From page 2 of About Architecture booklet by RIBA
Original post by Grajo-Travel
Some of the Universities do require A Level Mathematics, especially the Top Universities,

Sigh :s-smilie:. Very few top unis require maths for architecture. Check the link in post 3 above.
Reply 9
Original post by Una_.07

hey! i started off with 4 alevels art dt economics and maths, thinking i needed to take maths to be an architect cause everyone was pushing me to do it! however, i absolutely hated it and was peforming badly and i found it wasn't worth it and my tutor told me its either drop economics and get lower grades or drop maths and get higher grades. i was so worried and was thinking about carrying on maths as everyone told me it was important to take it. nevertheless, i went to see the unis at this convention place and talked to them about it, the only one who wanted it was bath. so i decided to drop maths, and i was so much happier afterwards. i'm now in year 13 and have applied for ucl, cardiff, loughborough, sheffield and edinburgh, where i have got an offer from 4/5, including ucl which i got yesterday! still waiting to hear back from edinburgh. but basically the answer is no, most unis prefer artistic subjects (if they want to you to put a portfolio together) thats why ucls grade boundaries are quite low, im guessing they prefer to see your portfolio rather than your grades! good luck applying next year! i hope u get into ucl!
Reply 10
Original post by milmo39
hey! i started off with 4 alevels art dt economics and maths, thinking i needed to take maths to be an architect cause everyone was pushing me to do it! however, i absolutely hated it and was peforming badly and i found it wasn't worth it and my tutor told me its either drop economics and get lower grades or drop maths and get higher grades. i was so worried and was thinking about carrying on maths as everyone told me it was important to take it. nevertheless, i went to see the unis at this convention place and talked to them about it, the only one who wanted it was bath. so i decided to drop maths, and i was so much happier afterwards. i'm now in year 13 and have applied for ucl, cardiff, loughborough, sheffield and edinburgh, where i have got an offer from 4/5, including ucl which i got yesterday! still waiting to hear back from edinburgh. but basically the answer is no, most unis prefer artistic subjects (if they want to you to put a portfolio together) thats why ucls grade boundaries are quite low, im guessing they prefer to see your portfolio rather than your grades! good luck applying next year! i hope u get into ucl!

I'm so happy for youuuu, hope you got into the university you wanted? I mean 4/5 is amazinggggggg, especially bath because I've heard they prefer maths, so this has given me a lot of hopee
Only Strathclyde and Bath (both also known for being very "technical" courses as I understand it) require either as far as I'm aware. UCL is famously an art-y/conceptual architecture course and does not require either subject.

An art/design subject is much more commonly required (or preferred if not explicitly required) and most courses require a creative portfolio (which an art or design subject facilitates the development of anyway).

Architecture is ultimately a creative design degree, not an analytical degree.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Una_.07
I'm so happy for youuuu, hope you got into the university you wanted? I mean 4/5 is amazinggggggg, especially bath because I've heard they prefer maths, so this has given me a lot of hopee
yep! i've firmed ucl! i didn't apply for bath though cause they need maths as they're more mathematical ! wish you luck! contact me if you need more help
Reply 13
Original post by milmo39
yep! i've firmed ucl! i didn't apply for bath though cause they need maths as they're more mathematical ! wish you luck! contact me if you need more help

I willll when you get into ucl I'm gonna ask a million questions😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending