The Student Room Group

SUVAT Equations help- A Level Maths Mechanics

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to come on here and ask for some help on these maths questions that I have been struggling with and have no idea how to go about them (except that the first one might need simultaneous equations)

1.Particles A and B are at rest at either end of a 100m track. They set off instantaneously towards each other with constant accelerations of 6ms^-2 and 2ms^-2 respectively
a) Where will they meet?
b) When will they meet
c) At what speed will each be travelling when they meet?

2.J passes O at 2m/s and with a constant acceleration of 1m/s^2. When J is 30m from O, K sets off from rest from O with a constant acceleration of 0.8 m/s^2. When K reaches a velocity of 4m/s, L passes O at 3m/s and with a constant acceleration of 0.5 ms^2. If J, K and L are all travelling in the same direction along the same straight line, find the distance between J and K when L has a velocity of 7m/s.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by sunhvm
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to come on here and ask for some help on this maths question that I have been struggling with and have no idea how to go about it (except that it might need simultaneous equations)

1. Particles A and B are at rest at either end of a 100m track. They set off instantaneously towards each other with constant accelerations of 6ms^-2 and 2ms^-2 respectively
a) Where will they meet?
b) When will they meet
c) At what speed will each be travelling when they meet?

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

a) for A let
s=x
u=0
a=6
t=T
so we have x=3T^2 (from s=ut+1/2at^2)

for B let
s=(100-x) (since B must have travelled the other distance left over)
u=0
a=2
t=T (obviously they will meet at the same time)
and similarly we have 100-x=T^2 (also from s=ut+1/2at^2)

I think you can solve from there simultaneously
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by yzven
a) for A let
s=x
u=0
a=6
t=T
so we have x=3T^2 (from s=ut+1/2at^2)

for B let
s=(100-x) (since B must have travelled the other distance left over)
u=0
a=2
t=T (obviously they will meet at the same time)
and similarly we have 100-x=T^2 (also from s=ut+1/2at^2)

I think you can solve from there simultaneously

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest