The Student Room Group

A Level Maths mechanics help (vectors)

can someone please help me with part b the answer is t=10 and c=10 but i dont know how to get there. i have tried r = ut + 1/2at^2 but im not getting that answer
Reply 1
Original post by lee_miller7
can someone please help me with part b the answer is t=10 and c=10 but i dont know how to get there. i have tried r = ut + 1/2at^2 but im not getting that answer

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 16.38.06.png
Reply 2
Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 16.38.06.png

It helps to see what you did, but remember A will have an initial position/displalcement offfset of 44 (for the ith component) which youve not written in the suvat. Or translate the origin to A.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 3
Original post by mqb2766
It helps to see what you did, but remember A will have an initial position/displalcement offfset of 44 (for the ith component) which youve not written in the suvat. Or translate the origin to A.

could you expand on this more. i dont know what i am meant to do with the displacement of A
Reply 4
could you expand on this more. i dont know what i am meant to do with the displacement of A

The usual suvat assumes that the displacement is 0 at t=0 as there is no initial "s0" in the suvat equation. Here your initial position is A so in the ith component you have
s = 44 + ut + 1/2at^2
to get the position / displacement from the origin.

Or use the usual suvat and translate the origin to A so the new position of C is
AC = OC - OA = ...
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest