The Student Room Group

ABRSM vs LCM

Okay, so what’s the difference ? Which is more recommended ? I grew up doing all my exams with ABRSM, but now I have a few students that are on beginner level and have been set up by their previous teacher on LCM. Fist time I’ve heard of LCM and really feel that I should suggest abrsm to the parents instead but… is this just my personal preference getting in the way, or would they genuinely be better off taking future exams with abrsm ? They are beginners so would not be a big deal to change. Not sure why they’re on lcm and I would feel a load more comfortable teaching them abrsm instead but don’t want to suggest changing if it’s only going to benefit me. What do you think ? Advice needed asap. Much appreciated x
Reply 1
Original post by Bex_85
Okay, so what’s the difference ? Which is more recommended ? I grew up doing all my exams with ABRSM, but now I have a few students that are on beginner level and have been set up by their previous teacher on LCM. Fist time I’ve heard of LCM and really feel that I should suggest abrsm to the parents instead but… is this just my personal preference getting in the way, or would they genuinely be better off taking future exams with abrsm ? They are beginners so would not be a big deal to change. Not sure why they’re on lcm and I would feel a load more comfortable teaching them abrsm instead but don’t want to suggest changing if it’s only going to benefit me. What do you think ? Advice needed asap. Much appreciated x

Hi I would personally get them to change to ABRSM because they are beginners and you are used to teaching that syllabus. Wouldn't be a massive change like you stated. Also, in my opinion it is more reputable? Not too sure about that so take it with a grain of salt. I personally don't know anyone who does lcm mainly ABRSM with a few doing trinity.

You can ask them and introduce ABRSM to then. However if they wish to not change then let it be.
Reply 2
Original post by Trickia

Hi I would personally get them to change to ABRSM because they are beginners and you are used to teaching that syllabus. Wouldn't be a massive change like you stated. Also, in my opinion it is more reputable? Not too sure about that so take it with a grain of salt. I personally don't know anyone who does lcm mainly ABRSM with a few doing trinity.

You can ask them and introduce ABRSM to then. However if they wish to not change then let it be.

That’s very good advice, thank you so much !
Reply 3
Original post by Bex_85
Original post by Trickia

That’s very good advice, thank you so much !

No problem 😊

Quick Reply

Latest