The Student Room Group

What ABRSM grades can i skip?

Yesterday I just took my Tenor horn exam and it went ok… Could’ve gone better, my aural test went a bit wrong, and I messed up the start of one of my pieces. Could’ve gone worse scales and arpeggios couldn’t have gone better (pretty sure I got full marks) and I’m really happy with my solo piece. Also before my exam ( about 3 weeks before) I had my braces put on so that made my life harder. I am just really hoping I am not going to fail. If I do fail could I skip the grade, depending on how much I failed by? I know I am predicting the worst but I just really want to move on. BTW, the grade I took was Grade 4. I would really appreciate some help and advice :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Realistically, you can skip any, except obviously grade 8, but its generally better to do 5 and 8, and a few more inbetween
Original post by boomsicles48
Realistically, you can skip any, except obviously grade 8, but its generally better to do 5 and 8, and a few more inbetween

Thats good :smile: Thanks
Reply 3
1,3,6 are not necessary, but I'd probably reccomend doing the rest of them.
Reply 4
And the other option is preparing for them but not taking the exam. I did that for quite a few grades, where I learnt the pieces to a decent standard but didn't spend the final few months perfecting it and then sitting the exam, so I could move on sooner
I study flute with ABRSM and something that really helped me to improve was learning all 9 of the pieces and then picking me favourite to do for the grade, as that got me practicing a wide range, it gets more difficult as you improve, for example I'm currently doing my grade 8 and the pieces are longer and not all in one book. However, I have also been doing singing with ABRSM, I only started a few years ago, having to stop for covid, but did grades 2,5, and 8, getting grade 8 with distinction a year after 5. It all depends on how much time you're willing to put and your teachers, as some teachers encourage a wider range of music. Also, I think it depends on your age and goals, for example I'm leaving school to study music at uni, which allowed me to focus much more on it as it has been a priority, but if you have more time then I would recommend enjoying your lessons and not rushing through the grades. Nevertheless, for ABRSM you do have to have your grade 5 theory to move past grade 5 performance, but that is actually very useful knowledge in general with music. Good luck on your grade 4, I know that I personally, and a lot of other musicians, tend to prepare for the worst after these things, but I'm sure you did great! Sorry that this was long :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Student112112321
I study flute with ABRSM and something that really helped me to improve was learning all 9 of the pieces and then picking me favourite to do for the grade, as that got me practicing a wide range, it gets more difficult as you improve, for example I'm currently doing my grade 8 and the pieces are longer and not all in one book. However, I have also been doing singing with ABRSM, I only started a few years ago, having to stop for covid, but did grades 2,5, and 8, getting grade 8 with distinction a year after 5. It all depends on how much time you're willing to put and your teachers, as some teachers encourage a wider range of music. Also, I think it depends on your age and goals, for example I'm leaving school to study music at uni, which allowed me to focus much more on it as it has been a priority, but if you have more time then I would recommend enjoying your lessons and not rushing through the grades. Nevertheless, for ABRSM you do have to have your grade 5 theory to move past grade 5 performance, but that is actually very useful knowledge in general with music. Good luck on your grade 4, I know that I personally, and a lot of other musicians, tend to prepare for the worst after these things, but I'm sure you did great! Sorry that this was long :smile:

Hi, I haven’t visited this thread in a while but I have some news. I passed my exam with a Merit, which I was really happy with. I think I am going to do my grades slowly but surely as I am in Yr 9 and so have time to go through grade 5,6,7 and 8 if i do them yearly. Thanks for the advice :rofl3:
Original post by Moonlight:)
Hi, I haven’t visited this thread in a while but I have some news. I passed my exam with a Merit, which I was really happy with. I think I am going to do my grades slowly but surely as I am in Yr 9 and so have time to go through grade 5,6,7 and 8 if i do them yearly. Thanks for the advice :rofl3:

Congrats!:thumbsup:
Original post by Moonlight:)
Yesterday I just took my Tenor horn exam and it went ok… Could’ve gone better, my aural test went a bit wrong, and I messed up the start of one of my pieces. Could’ve gone worse scales and arpeggios couldn’t have gone better (pretty sure I got full marks) and I’m really happy with my solo piece. Also before my exam ( about 3 weeks before) I had my braces put on so that made my life harder. I am just really hoping I am not going to fail. If I do fail could I skip the grade, depending on how much I failed by? I know I am predicting the worst but I just really want to move on. BTW, the grade I took was Grade 4. I would really appreciate some help and advice :smile:

I play the violin and the last grade I did was grade 3. Working towards my diploma next year. (Need to do grade 8 first) so yeah nothing is necessary unless you want to take a diploma and then you have to do grade 8 performance. To do grade 8 performance you need to do grade 5 theory.

Quick Reply

Latest