The Student Room Group

how to become a therapist?

how can i become a relationship therapist?
i get told im really good with advice and considering starting my own business…. is this competitive?
do you have to do these courses? or can i just do a degree?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
how can i become a relationship therapist?
i get told im really good with advice and considering starting my own business…. is this competitive?
do you have to do these courses? or can i just do a degree?

I would really research what a therapist, or in particular a relationship therapist actually does first. Speak to professionals who do this already, it might help you confirm if the reality is what you actually want or are potentially good at. Therapy is rarely about giving advice, thats a common misconception. In reality most of the job is about not talking, but listening actively (this is not same as just listening) and helping people to come to terms with difficulties and make changes they feel are important.

Therapy is a wide term and there are literally hundreds of different approaches, which all draw on different skills and abilities. Some need a degree and some certificates, but all require significant experience of learning to be in the room with another and deal with often intense vulnerability. How able you are to manage your own emotions and self within these spaces is just as important as what the individual brings.

Good luck,

Greg

Quick Reply

Latest