The Student Room Group

Which university would be best to get into CS academia research?

Hi,

I want to study Computer Science at university, in which I would like to get into Academic research field for Computer Science specifically for AI.

However, out of these university choices:
- Cambridge
- Imperial
- UCL
- King's College London
- Warwick

I am not sure which one would be best to go to, to get into this field...
Reply 1
Original post by mellow2006
Hi,

I want to study Computer Science at university, in which I would like to get into Academic research field for Computer Science specifically for AI.

- Cambridge
- Imperial
- UCL
- King's College London
- Warwick

It looks like you have fallen into the trap of choosing what you perceive to be the best universities and then asked which one is the best in that list. The answer is actually "It depends". Universities known for good teaching do not necessarily also do good research. Similarly it depends which area of research you are interested in as different institutions will have different specialties.

So why not start reading some scientific journals in the topics you are interested in and aee who is publishing them and where they are based. You might be surprised and it certainly wouldn't hurt to open your mind beyond the clichéd "best" universities.
Reply 2
Original post by mellow2006
Hi,

- Cambridge
- Imperial
- UCL
- King's College London
- Warwick

Each university is good for research is CS in different areas

Machine Learning - Cambridge or Imperial

AI and Robotics - Imperial

Cybersecurity - Oxford

I'm not sure about the research output from the other universities you have mentioned but I have mentioned the ones I know of. Also, it may also be worth considering Manchester and Edinburgh as Computer Science is their flagships courses....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending