The Student Room Group

MSc in computer science without degree in CS

Hi all. I have a postgrad degree in a totally different subject but have been accepted to do a my computer science masters. Im just wondering if my masters will still hold the same value as the masters of someone who has a degree in CS?

Thanks again
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ImTheWanderer
Hi all. I have a postgrad degree in a totally different subject but have been accepted to do a my computer science masters. Im just wondering if my masters will still hold the same value as the masters of someone who has a degree in CS?

Thanks again

It depends what you want to do. I have a relative who did arts at degree and an Msc at Cantebury. She couldn't out-code the geeks which led her into a management role in IT which she has done very very well at. She's now very senior at a multinational. Having a broader educational base was an advantage for her.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ImTheWanderer

Thanks again

To be quite blunt, no, it will generally not hold as much weight as someone with a BSc Computer Science from the same university.

For context: I graduated with a BSc Computing 15 odd years ago from Ulster University, later on gaining an MSc in Computing from the same university and an MSc Cyber Security from QUB sometime later.

The MSc in Computing wasn't just for Computing/CS grads as it turned out, anyone could apply. It was a lightweight version of my undergrad degree. Since then, I've worked at 2 universities (as a software engineer) that offer so-called "conversion" courses in CS (those 1-year intensive masters degrees).

They are simply lightweight CS or software engineering degrees, with the more complex areas of CS/SE stripped out usually (basically any of the mathematics modules, the computer/electronic engineering modules etc...). Now, there can still be some tricky and challenging modules in a MSc CS degree conversion, but really how on earth can you pack a 3/4 degree into a year? You can't. Even if you slap the title "Masters" at the front of it to make it seem more grandiose.

So, the real question should be "Given that a MSc CS conversion course is a lesser education than a BSc CS course or undergrad masters in CS, is it still worth doing?" My answer to that is "That depends on you"

If you want to learn enough basics to land an entry-level role in the tech sector, absolutely an MSc CS conversion course is worth doing. If you want a chance to possibly go into academia in CS and do a PhD in CS, then yes, I know for a fact some graduates from those conversion courses have been offered PhD places. Please note though in those cases the students in question were awarded high marks in their conversion masters (north of 75% overall).

Don't be deterred by the fact an MSc Conversion course is a whistlestop tour of a BSc in CS. Just go in knowing that's what it is, regardless of the univeristy marketing. A lot of students who do well on converson courses end up getting entry level roles in tech. And that's where your real learning happens.

Good luck whatever you decide.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by snowhawk
To be quite blunt, no, it will generally not hold as much weight as someone with a BSc Computer Science from the same university.

For context: I graduated with a BSc Computing 15 odd years ago from Ulster University, later on gaining an MSc in Computing from the same university and an MSc Cyber Security from QUB some time later.

The MSc in Computing wasn't just for Computing/CS grads as it turned out, anyone could apply. It was a lightweight version of my undergrad degree. Since then, I've worked at 2 universities (as a software engineer) that offer so called "conversion" courses in CS (those 1 year intensive masters degrees).

They are simply lightweight CS or software engineering degrees, with the more complex areas of CS/SE stripped out usually (basically any of the mathematics modules, the computer/electronic engineering modules etc...). Now, there can still be some tricky and challenging modules in a MSc CS degree conversion, but really how on earth can you pack a 3/4 degree in to a year? You can't. Even if you slap the title "Masters" at the front of it to make it seem more grandiose.

So, the real question should be "Given that a MSc CS conversion course is a lesser education than a BSc CS course or undergrad masters in CS, is it still worth doing?" My answer to that is "That depends on you"

If you want to learn enough basics to land an entry level role in the tech sector, absolutely an MSc CS conversion course is worth doing. If you want a chance to possibly go in to academia in CS and do a PhD in CS, then yes, I know for a fact some graduates from those conversion courses have been offerend PhD places. Please note though in those cases the students in question were awarded high marks in their conversion masters (north of 75% overall).

Don't be detered by the fact an MSc Conversion course is a whistlestop tour of a BSc in CS. Just go in knowing that's what it is, regardless of the univeristy marketing. A lot of students who do well on converson courses end up getting entry level roles in tech. And that's where you real learning happens.

Good luck whatever you decide.

This is nice to hear. I am currently doing a BSc in maths and music (joint honours) and I hope to break into the tech industry. While I was researching there were two other ways to enter besides a degree in computer science, which were self-learning and a boot camp. I have heard conflicting information about how the entry junior roles would be like because a lot of people say that you would need a strong portfolio- while others say that because there is no formal degree it gets automatically binned from their cv regardless of their portfolio. My question is would a masters conversion course also be filtered through? As you said I wouldn't have any advantage against the BSc students but if I worked through a portfolio would I have a chance?
Reply 4
Original post by Al3xtm
This is nice to hear. I am currently doing a BSc in maths and music (joint honours) and I hope to break into the tech industry. While I was researching there were two other ways to enter besides a degree in computer science, which were self-learning and a boot camp. I have heard conflicting information about how the entry junior roles would be like because a lot of people say that you would need a strong portfolio- while others say that because there is no formal degree it gets automatically binned from their cv regardless of their portfolio. My question is would a masters conversion course also be filtered through? As you said I wouldn't have any advantage against the BSc students but if I worked through a portfolio would I have a chance?

A decent Bootcamp can be a solid way to entry-level jobs. Some employers might need that deeper understanding of CS but I can't imagine there are a lot of those requirements for the roles bootcamp grads would go for (typically front end web developer roles). It would be a different story if you wanted to apply as a programmer for embedded systems or security systems, good luck getting that role with Bootcamp, but if you just want a job as an entry-level role in web development, Bootcamps can get you there.

And MSc will still be seen as a valid qualification, it's just the "Masters" title won't really impress people the way you might think because like I said, it's a toned-down BSc CS degree.

At an interview, you will be asked about projects you have worked on so you will need something to talk about, and regardless of whether you do a CS conversion or bootcamp, the way you get better at coding is by...coding lol! Having a portfolio will always be an asset.
Reply 5
If you can do Bsc computer science it is better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending