The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

I want to go to Royal Holloway but do not meet the requirements.

I really want to get into Royal Holloway as I love their campus. However, I don't meet the requirements, I think. They require maths a level which I do not do and Maths GCSE at grade 6 which I do not have :frown:
I don't really like Brunel's campus, but if I have no other option, I 'm willing to study CS there.

I'm studying BTEC IT (certificate - predicted D ) and BTEC Business (diploma - predicted D*D). For my GCSE's I got a 5 in Eng lan & lit, maths, science. An 8 in Spanish and 8* Italian.

Since the lockdown, I have learnt HTML (with CSS), Python, Java (including OOP), C#, JavaScript and discrete maths.
I have attended the NCS programme and many CS webinars and work experiences (IBM and sky).

Can I apply to royal Holloway (maybe foundation year) through clearing? (Considering my accomplishments and grades?)
Are there any other good universities I can apply to with these grades and subjects?

Questions about Brunel:
Are the modules for normal CS same as those of Royal Holloway?
Is Brunel a good university to get into?
What is the future employment prospectus?
Original post by f3iz
I really want to get into Royal Holloway as I love their campus. However, I don't meet the requirements, I think. They require maths a level which I do not do and Maths GCSE at grade 6 which I do not have :frown:
I don't really like Brunel's campus, but if I have no other option, I 'm willing to study CS there.

I'm studying BTEC IT (certificate - predicted D ) and BTEC Business (diploma - predicted D*D). For my GCSE's I got a 5 in Eng lan & lit, maths, science. An 8 in Spanish and 8* Italian.

Since the lockdown, I have learnt HTML (with CSS), Python, Java (including OOP), C#, JavaScript and discrete maths.
I have attended the NCS programme and many CS webinars and work experiences (IBM and sky).

Can I apply to royal Holloway (maybe foundation year) through clearing? (Considering my accomplishments and grades?)
Are there any other good universities I can apply to with these grades and subjects?

Questions about Brunel:

Hey, I'm a current first-year CS student at RHUL, I think you're better off asking the admissions tutors about this as they would know best.

I picked Maths, Bio, and Chem for A-Level and applied to CS through Clearing. I immediately got the offer after I told them my Maths Grades, so it seems to me that they put a lot of emphasis on maths as CS is basically a math-based science. Additionally, almost all unis require you to have A-Level Maths and/or A-Level CS to do CS at uni. The best thing to do is to sit A-Level Maths as a private candidate and perhaps A-Level CS too, to increase your chances of getting in, alternatively, you could take a gap year and sit your extra exams in the summer.

Some non-Russell group universities would accept these results, though it's better if you do your research.

I have a friend who went to Brunel Uni for CS and got a 1st from there, despite being an average student. So it really depends on how much work you're willing to put in, there's no set definition on what makes a good uni, it's more like who can be a good student. As for CS, future employment prospects are bright if you achieve 2:2/2:1/1:1. So independence and organisation are key here.

Good luck!
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Original post by f3iz

Questions about Brunel:

Were u accepted?
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending