The Student Room Group

Starting to feel worse after counsellor left?

I have limited sessions with my counsellor and unfortunately they ended a week ago. I thought I was doing fine but I really miss them now and the thought of not being assigned a counsellor and now having to fight through adult counselling services, pains me. I have actually cried and now I feel slipping back to my depression.
Reply 1
You can take control of this if you really want to - When someone has been such a support and that support has stopped you are understandably feeling that loss. The sense that the support you found so useful has gone is quite profound. You are allowed to be upset because that represents the value you found in that emotional bond. Now take everything you gained from those sessions and hold them all close to your heart. There will be more encounters like that as you go forward. You won't lose anything from the counselling you had and from which you have gained. Learn from the discovery and understanding you made about yourself and how you habitually react to disappointment or loss. If you have a lasting goal and memory for the hard work and connection you gained with your counsellor it will be that you are determined to use everything you learned in those sessions and to make use of that learning in your day to day living. There will be more good people in your life, more connections with positive influences as you go forward in life. You are at the junction of allowing yourself to staying positive or let it all go. Why? Why would you allow your head to be so negative when you had started to turn that around? You can change your mind set with practice and stop your negative dialogue. Part of staying in a negative void may be a familiar way of managing the loss you experience in life generally. Do something different now you have a few emotional tools to learn how to change. Make 2024 a positive year where you start to believe your life can be different and more fulfilling. In between access the help you believe you need but slipping back into a negative mindset is not a good use of your time. Only you can change the dialogue in your head just now. Take the good, use it well and stay focussed on positive statements.
Reply 2
Pretty normal to feel like this after the end of a therapeutic relationship, I think. It will get easier with time.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I have limited sessions with my counsellor and unfortunately they ended a week ago. I thought I was doing fine but I really miss them now and the thought of not being assigned a counsellor and now having to fight through adult counselling services, pains me. I have actually cried and now I feel slipping back to my depression.

I'm really sorry to hear that you're going through a tough time. It's totally normal to feel like this. Remember, it's okay to seek support from friends or family and take small steps in exploring new counseling options. You can also revisit the solutions your past counselor asked you to work on . Transitioning to a new counselor takes time, so be patient with yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest