The Student Room Group

Modern life is lonely

Modern life is profoundly lonely.

Discuss....
Thus proving my point.
In all fairness there isnt much to discuss, why is modern life lonely for you? - why do you feel like this? what is your social life like? - not everyone is the same, if you put down your reasoning for it, you may find like minded people too.
Original post by NKNK12
In all fairness there isnt much to discuss, why is modern life lonely for you? - why do you feel like this? what is your social life like? - not everyone is the same, if you put down your reasoning for it, you may find like minded people too.

Never sustained friendships as I moved through life. Not that I'm bad company, I'm told otherwise, pretty easy going and friendly. But I don't want to burden people so I never kept in touch. Same at school, at uni and post uni.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 4
If you don't want life to be lonely, you've got to invest in developing long term friendships. It is as simple as that.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Never sustained friendships as I moved through life. Not that I'm bad company, I'm told otherwise, pretty easy going and friendly. But I don't want to burden people so I never kept in touch. Same at school, at uni and post uni.

I think alot of people can relate to this, sometimes you just got to make the effort afterwards (if it is worth doing). Never worry about the quantity, even if its that one person who develop a relationship with, but you need someone who also invests back (now it doesnt have to be regular, can be once a month, once every 3-4 months) but it does need to happen, back and forth.

Keeping in touch, and asking how someone is, isnt burdening people.
Original post by NKNK12
I think alot of people can relate to this, sometimes you just got to make the effort afterwards (if it is worth doing). Never worry about the quantity, even if its that one person who develop a relationship with, but you need someone who also invests back (now it doesnt have to be regular, can be once a month, once every 3-4 months) but it does need to happen, back and forth.

Keeping in touch, and asking how someone is, isnt burdening people.

Thanks for the insight.
Reply 7
Original post by Gazpacho.
If you don't want life to be lonely, you've got to invest in developing long term friendships. It is as simple as that.

It really isn't.
It's a well noted fact that modern life is lonely these days, from online life to the 'daily grind' and so on. Simply 'trying harder' is not really a solution to the issue.
Reply 8
Original post by Napp
It really isn't.
It's a well noted fact that modern life is lonely these days, from online life to the 'daily grind' and so on. Simply 'trying harder' is not really a solution to the issue.

I just don't share your passive outlook on life. Of course if someone spends all their time sat online they are going to be lonely. That is a no brainer. You've got to put the time and effort into cultivating an active social life.
Reduced societal emphasis on tribe, family and identity in favour of global homo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending