The Student Room Group

Stranger Danger

Do you think the concept of "stranger danger" is outdated?

I think it's a very damaging message for children to learn. Yes, there are exploitative and dangerous strangers out there who will manipulate and abuse, but I think teaching them that all strangers are dangerous also encourages them to be paranoid and timid around people they've never met. I think such messages promote a divide between child and adult or child and other children.
Good point, but I really don't think stranger danger is outdated, sadly. I just recently found a video on it from the 1970s and what struck me was how little things seem to have changed.
Reply 2
Original post by JDINCINERATOR

I think it's a very damaging message for children to learn. Yes, there are exploitative and dangerous strangers out there who will manipulate and abuse, but I think teaching them that all strangers are dangerous also encourages them to be paranoid and timid around people they've never met. I think such messages promote a divide between child and adult or child and other children.

Based on my experiences of young people as a teacher and also my own children, one of whom is now a young teenager, I think it is adults who need educating, not children. The vast majority (and I am talking 99%+) are kind, considerate, respectful and polite. But the amount of abuse young people get from adults, both in the press and face to face is just incredible. My son has been screamed at for not using the cycle lane (the cycle lane was icy and is really bumpy), for having the audacity to play on the street with his mates and when he fell off his bike on the ice one day, three drivers drove around him and carried on.

The problem is definitely with adults and society generally. No one cares for each other any more. It is so sad. Thanks Thatcher - what was it you said - no thing as society. Everyone for themselves. Well you have your wish and it is grim.
Reply 3
No.
Reply 4
Original post by JDINCINERATOR

You seem to be misunderstanding what stranger danger was trying to ram home.. Teaching kids to go not go along with random people into their blacked out van is hardly 'damaging' to any sane individual. Random adults should not be engaging with children in any case and they absolutely should be wary of strangers taking an interest in them. It would be nice if they didn't have to be but unfortunately society is filled with scum with devious motives.

To put it simply, would you like strange men being able to happily approach your daughter and your daughter having not been educated on the potential danger to walk off with said person?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending