The Student Room Group

18 and living in a Toxic Household am i the only one?

Hello, I am in my final year of A-level studies. My auntie moved into my house a couple of months ago, and since she started living here, both my mum and she have been nothing but toxic to me. They even went so far as to kick me out a couple of weeks ago. The reason? I am too loud, I do not wash my dishes, and I am apparently a bully.

I went to my local council, but they were not able to support me. They classified me as a "non-priority," despite me just turning 18 and being in full-time education. Apparently, the one-year difference between 17 and 18 really matters to the council. Luckily, I had friends who let me stay on their sofa for a bit, but after about two days, I called my mum and told her that it's not fair for her child to rely on someone else's mother to live. I asked her to send me money to find accommodation, informed the school about my situation, and they were able to find me two weeks of accommodation with the money my mum had sent.

Now I have had no choice but to beg my mother to move back in with her, and since I have, there is nothing but arguing. I have been called all the names under the sun by my auntie. For example, she calls me a "parasite" because I rely on my mother to live (I am 18 and in full-time education; I am not getting a job). I have been threatened by my auntie's son with physical violence because my auntie has said to him that I have physically assaulted my sister. This is not what happened; I literally pushed her out of the room because she was annoying me. She confirmed this to my auntie herself; she is 16.

The household I am living in is toxic, and I have nowhere else to go. I cannot take this anymore. The school cares, but because I am 18, there's not much they can do but offer emotional support. I have literally been excited to go to school to get out of the house and stay until 5 pm to avoid going home and arguing for as long as possible. I am sick and tired of being called a bully; I have been bullied, I know what it's like.

My auntie sees me making myself something to eat in the kitchen and asks me "if I paid for it," and then starts a whole argument with me because of it. She phones the entire family and spreads false propaganda about me, leading my own family to believe that I am an aggressive person. A week ago, she saw me with my electric blanket on around me and started an argument because I do not pay rent and therefore should not be using electricity. She keeps threatening me with her son, who is in her late 20s, and every time he is mentioned, it signals that he is going to harm me. I am simply just an A-level student in his final year of sixth form trying to get to university.

I am a nice person; I want to be a teacher when I grow up and am dedicated to seeing this through. I take part in multiple extracurricular activities to support my CV for the future and have already had and accepted offers from local universities. I do not know what to do; I cannot live here for another six months. Both my mother and my auntie team up on me, purposely get me angry, then start recording me when I do and threatening to post it on social media.

I am known as a nice person, someone who literally doesn't get angry ever. I am myself when I am at school; I am happy there, and then I have to come home to a toxic family because my council can't help me out. I am not entitled to universal credit because I am a full-time student. If anyone is in a similar situation to me or has been, please tell me what you did. Even if I did get a part-time job, it won't cover rent, food, bills, etc

Quick Reply

Latest