The Student Room Group

Asylum seeker dies on bibby Stockholm barge

Not sure why this is news. People commit suicide all the time and receive no coverage. I can only think that some people will try to blame his suicide on keeping him on the boat. Newsflash, if their lives are *****y enough to take their own life, it isn't cos they're on a boat.
Reply 2
Original post by Guru Jason
Not sure why this is news. People commit suicide all the time and receive no coverage. I can only think that some people will try to blame his suicide on keeping him on the boat. Newsflash, if their lives are *****y enough to take their own life, it isn't cos they're on a boat.

Everything related to Bibby Stockholm is news since the Conservative Party decided to score some political brownie points by placing several hundred asylum seekers on the ship to distract from the multibillion bill taxpayers are footing due to their abject failure to clear the asylum backlog.

Being stuck on a ship, in a state of legal limbo with no sense of security or control over your life is not good for a person’s mental wellbeing. I’m amazed you don’t know enough about human nature to be able to comprehend this.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Gazpacho.
Everything related to Bibby Stockholm is news since the Conservative Party decided to score some political brownie points by placing several hundred asylum seekers on the ship to distract from the multibillion bill taxpayers are footing due to their abject failure to clear the asylum backlog.

Being stuck on a ship, in a state of legal limbo with no sense of security or control over your life is not good for a person’s mental wellbeing. I’m amazed you don’t know enough about human nature to be able to comprehend this.

Better a boat than the hotels we're currently having to foot the bill of.
Reply 4

It's almost as if inviting yourself unannounced to a country you have no legal right of entry to is a bad idea isn't it?
Reply 5
Better a boat than the hotels we're currently having to foot the bill of.

Only a tiny fraction of asylum seekers are on Bibby. If they Home Office had employed enough staff to process applications in a timely manner in the first place, applicants wouldn’t be waiting often over a year for a decision and we won’t be picking up the insane bill.

Instead of such practical governance, the Tories prefer gimmicks that go down well in conservative circles.
Only a tiny fraction of asylum seekers are on Bibby. If they Home Office had employed enough staff to process applications in a timely manner in the first place, applicants wouldn’t be waiting often over a year for a decision and we won’t be picking up the insane bill.

Instead of such practical governance, the Tories prefer gimmicks that go down well in conservative circles.

The alternative is to reject them all as asylum seekers should stop in the first safe country which as far as I am aware the UK isn't for any asylum seeker in the world right now.

Yeah, the boat isnt making a dent in the overall figures. I think the max capacity is 500 and there's nowhere near that many on board currently. It is a gimmick.
Reply 8
The alternative is to reject them all as asylum seekers should stop in the first safe country which as far as I am aware the UK isn't for any asylum seeker in the world right now.

Where has this idea come from, because it isn't international law. And think practically about it for a second, and it's grossly unfair - it'd place a huge burden on a minute amount of nations decided simply by geography, a lot of which are even more ill-equipped to deal with the pressures than we ourselves claim to be.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 9

Such a perspective has multiple serious flaws. Not least a lot of refugees do in fact stop in the first safe country they come to. That is why Turkey has almost 4 million. We have a trickle of refugees by comparison. Britain chooses to a signatory of the Refugee Convention. That comes with responsibilities. The origin countries of a lot of refugees are those that Western nations including Britain has chosen to interfere in. Do you honestly expect to **** around in other countries, contributing to their instability, and not expect to have refugees requesting asylum?
Original post by gjd800
Where has this idea come from, because it isn't international law. And think practically about it for a second, and it's grossly unfair - it'd place a huge burden on a minute amount of nations decided simply by geography, a lot of which are even more ill-equipped to deal with the pressures than we ourselves claim to be.

Well said, but I don't think they are saying it out of respect for due process and international law.

How much are you willing to bet that the 'first safe country!' folk would reject all asylum seekers even if the UK were the first safe country?
Reply 11
Original post by SHallowvale
Well said, but I don't think they are saying it out of respect for due process and international law.

How much are you willing to bet that the 'first safe country!' folk would reject all asylum seekers even if the UK were the first safe country?

Quite, my point is there is no real consensus in fact about this 'obligation' (for reasons which become obvious after a moment's thought), yet it is wheeled out as some sort of imperative at every opportunity. I just find it strange.

It actually detracts from any serious discussion on how best to deal with these issues.
Very sad for the individual & his family & they have my thoughts & condolences.

The barge is a stupid & doesn’t deal with the issue at hand - there is a broken system which people are abusing and it holds back everyone. We need an efficient asylum processing system & that should include considering how people claimed asylum & where they came from and we need to come up with a more efficient way of dealing with people who maybe abusing the system, we should prioritize economic migrants who use appropriate channels rather then make it increasingly tougher for medium skilled workers who lose out because we can’t separate asylum seekers from system abusers.
Reply 13
Original post by mnot
Very sad for the individual & his family & they have my thoughts & condolences.

The barge is a stupid & doesn’t deal with the issue at hand - there is a broken system which people are abusing and it holds back everyone. We need an efficient asylum processing system & that should include considering how people claimed asylum & where they came from and we need to come up with a more efficient way of dealing with people who maybe abusing the system, we should prioritize economic migrants who use appropriate channels rather then make it increasingly tougher for medium skilled workers who lose out because we can’t separate asylum seekers from system abusers.

The problem with improving processing is that 70% are accepted. For those of us who don't want unskilled and uneducated migration, processing would make our problem worse.
Original post by Rakas21
The problem with improving processing is that 70% are accepted. For those of us who don't want unskilled and uneducated migration, processing would make our problem worse.

This is part of the problem.

I believe it is highly likely many asylum seekers entering illegally are actively being deceitful with the story they present and it’s very hard to challenge. If you travel to the UK via small boat, we need a significantly higher bar then through normal routes. If you choose to enter this way you should have to provide credible evidence as to why you were unsafe in France & a valid reason for not attempting to enter through a conventional customs zone.

It’s silly that skilled applicants will be rejected for having a job that only pays £30k a year yet unskilled economic migrants can side step the system by having an incredibly weak asylum processing method.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending