The Student Room Group

Separate room for exams

I get exam arrangements which i sorted out due to an anxiety diagnosis, so I will be in an exam classroom with around 20 other people in it, I am wondering what is it like? I can't be around people who make a lot of noise or things like that so I dont know what to expect? are the people in there similar to me in the sense that they have anxiety or other disorder like that? do sen people sit in the same room or other? I hope this doesn't come off as insensitive!?
Original post by Anonymous
I get exam arrangements which i sorted out due to an anxiety diagnosis, so I will be in an exam classroom with around 20 other people in it, I am wondering what is it like? I can't be around people who make a lot of noise or things like that so I dont know what to expect? are the people in there similar to me in the sense that they have anxiety or other disorder like that? do sen people sit in the same room or other? I hope this doesn't come off as insensitive!?

I have autism and sit exams in a smaller room. There are usually no more than 15 in this particular room because it is quite small. I would reckon there will be some SEN people but some may be able to sit in the main hall. I have rest breaks and have to be in a smaller room for that (amongst other reasons). There will be people making usual exam noises (writing, sniffling, coughing that kind of thing.) I would see if you can get permission to wear earplugs if that kind of thing bothers you (it does bother me, so I wear earplugs) - I wear loop earplugs. It will vary from school to school so I think you will have to see what it is like.

I don't know how large your school is, but those 20 people could well be all the students in your year who have exam arrangements for a variety of reasons - not just anxiety.

So it could include those who are allowed rest breaks. It could include those who have extra time. It could include those who use a keyboard and so need to print their work.

If you're all sitting the same paper, then those with rest breaks are the only people likely to disturb you, as those with extra time and needing to print things out will only be an issue after you've finished.

If you're concerned, you should ask your school about the specifics of the arrangements they've made.
Reply 3
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I have autism and sit exams in a smaller room. There are usually no more than 15 in this particular room because it is quite small. I would reckon there will be some SEN people but some may be able to sit in the main hall. I have rest breaks and have to be in a smaller room for that (amongst other reasons). There will be people making usual exam noises (writing, sniffling, coughing that kind of thing.) I would see if you can get permission to wear earplugs if that kind of thing bothers you (it does bother me, so I wear earplugs) - I wear loop earplugs. It will vary from school to school so I think you will have to see what it is like.

I've been told there are people taking rest breaks in that, what does that look like,? is that a lot of noise? also I've been told people who have diabetes may be using their phones but I dont see that as much of an issue as we would all be sitting a variety of papers. for me the main problem was seeing other people around me writing loads which put me off. if people are in there who need to have questions read to them will that be in the same room as people who don't need that?
I've been told there are people taking rest breaks in that, what does that look like,? is that a lot of noise? also I've been told people who have diabetes may be using their phones but I dont see that as much of an issue as we would all be sitting a variety of papers. for me the main problem was seeing other people around me writing loads which put me off. if people are in there who need to have questions read to them will that be in the same room as people who don't need that?

People who need questions read to them won't be in there because it is a distraction for everyone else, so they will get their own rooms.

For me, when I take a rest break I put my hand up and the invigilator usually knows what I want and I close my paper and the laptop (I also type my exams). I don't usually have to say anything and try to be quiet and discreet about it. It may help asking to sit at the front of the room so you can't see what everyone else is doing.

Quick Reply

Latest