The Student Room Group

Mental Health, Computer Science Degree, Graduate Jobs, 2:1, and No Experience

Hi,
I am in my final year of university studying Computer Science. I have always struggled with education and have had to work harder than others to be average. I regret going to university as it has severely impacted my mental health, but I was too scared to drop out, and now it's too late since I only have one semester left. At the beginning of the year, my supervisor and I aimed for me to graduate with a 1:1. I got 66% in 2nd year, which is 25% of my final grade, and my final year is worth 75%, so that means I'll have to work even harder to achieve this. A couple of weeks ago, my mental health was the worst it ever has been, and I was having dark thoughts. I reached out to the uni's mental health team and my tutor. Both were helpful, but then the mental health team kept forgetting my counselling appointments, and my tutor has gone back to pressuring me to get high grades.
After speaking to my family, I decided to stop pushing myself over education and aim for a low 2:1 as my mental health is more important. I want to take the summer off to start actual therapy and focus on myself, but I am worried this will push me further away from becoming a software developer. All my friends say getting a graduate job is very competitive and that experience is needed. How long after graduating can I still apply for graduate roles? I was unsuccessful in getting a placement, so is it wise to take a break instead of gaining experience? I would appreciate advice on what the best decision for me is and if there's anyone who has been in my shoes. I want to take time for myself, but I don't want to regret another decision and make life more complicated.

Quick Reply

Latest