The Student Room Group

How much does low attendance affect my future whilst in sixth form?

I'm in my second year in sixth form and I'm struggling with low attendance, it being at 75% currently, I have had multiple days off due to my mental health, I have severe anxiety and have found it hard some days to either get out of bed and other reasons.

I'm not doing too bad in my 2 A-levels and Btec, my strongest being my Btec Applied Science where I have the ability to get a distinction and the other subjects C's at the lowest.

However, I feel severely guilty and even more anxious on some days when I feel like in the end I could have forced myself go in. In sixth form I have an office where I can go if I'm struggling and in sixth form however other then that I do not get any support and teachers have been told not to make me do certain things yet still try and force them on me, leading to more days off due to the pressure. I'm worried my attendance will affect future events however.

I'm doing courses online to put towards later applying to a nursery apprenticeship however I'm scared my low attendance will affect my opportunity to do this.

Has anyone been in a similar situation or has any advice?
hiiii so when i was in sixth form my attendance was around 70% bc i took a lot of days off also due to mental health issues- but im pretty sure these courses only care about grades bc i still got into my top choice uni because of my grades and interview- pls dont feel guilty btw bc youre in a tough position rn but itll get better
Original post by georgia_wf
I'm in my second year in sixth form and I'm struggling with low attendance, it being at 75% currently, I have had multiple days off due to my mental health, I have severe anxiety and have found it hard some days to either get out of bed and other reasons.

I'm not doing too bad in my 2 A-levels and Btec, my strongest being my Btec Applied Science where I have the ability to get a distinction and the other subjects C's at the lowest.

However, I feel severely guilty and even more anxious on some days when I feel like in the end I could have forced myself go in. In sixth form I have an office where I can go if I'm struggling and in sixth form however other then that I do not get any support and teachers have been told not to make me do certain things yet still try and force them on me, leading to more days off due to the pressure. I'm worried my attendance will affect future events however.

I'm doing courses online to put towards later applying to a nursery apprenticeship however I'm scared my low attendance will affect my opportunity to do this.

Has anyone been in a similar situation or has any advice?

believe me, courses only care about grades, and your school isn't legally allowed to give you a bad uni reference (even if they threaten that they can). i had like 40% attendance in year 13 because i gave up with my crappy teachers and self-taught. got all A*s, and got accepted into all 5 unis for pharmacy. so yeah, attendance doesn't matter one bit imo, as long as you still get the grades you're capable of!

Quick Reply

Latest