The Student Room Group

ADHD, not receiving diagnosis

Hey guys! I've been on and off testing for adhd the past 6 years. I've also been tested for autism, dyslexia, depression, anxiety, usually they end up saying I have some sort of depression or anxiety or mood disorder/or even personality disorder. I think I've been tested 3 times for ADHD as my psychologists/gp keep suggesting me to get tested, and none of the assessments came out with a positive result. I personally do actually think I have ADHD as I recognise myself in the symptoms and what I know, I've felt the same since I first learned about it at 16, and everytime I hear about it it feels very personal and true to my experience- but my parents don't agree. Although I score "high during testing" I can't remember my childhood well, and my parents are not willing to accept, or help looking into this so they can't assess further I am studying performing arts at uni, so the teachers knows that there's a lot of neurodiversity at school, however they can't help me due to me not having a proper diagnosis. I am really struggling, but I keep getting refered to get tested for that and that, without receiving help. My GP literally told me my issues were too complicated and I wouldnt be able to find the root of the problem, especially not knowing my childhood. Is this normal? I feel so empty- my social life is a mess, my uni life is a mess, I wish I ever felt normal. Sure I've been depressed as long as I can remember, but even when I feel normal ish, like in the holiday break now" I am still the same "mess", and it feels just as bad, except from the intense mood swings and sadness of it all, as soon as I get back to uni, or work I get depressed again by how little I'm able to cope with this life, teachers and my boss being mad at me. It's so stupid, I love performing arts, I love my job- yet I fail at it, I just can't meet the expectations that is required of me I keep hearing, also that I'm unable to listen to people, me misinterpreting etc. it seems like I constantly get into trouble and it always seems to be my fault because of some silly mistake I did or if I said the wrong thing. It gets worse the older I get too (I'm 23). It just never ever ever stops, I feel like I keep trying to receive help but can't figure out whatever is wrong and I'm so close to failing my dream course at my dream uni due to lack of attendance as it all is giving me such anxiety or I literally forget to meet for class or work. sorry this was long! if you read it to the end, thanks for that! hugs
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hey guys! I've been on and off testing for adhd the past 6 years. I've also been tested for autism, dyslexia, depression, anxiety, usually they end up saying I have some sort of depression or anxiety or mood disorder/or even personality disorder. I think I've been tested 3 times for ADHD as my psychologists/gp keep suggesting me to get tested, and none of the assessments came out with a positive result. I personally do actually think I have ADHD as I recognise myself in the symptoms and what I know, I've felt the same since I first learned about it at 16, and everytime I hear about it it feels very personal and true to my experience- but my parents don't agree. Although I score "high during testing" I can't remember my childhood well, and my parents are not willing to accept, or help looking into this so they can't assess further I am studying performing arts at uni, so the teachers knows that there's a lot of neurodiversity at school, however they can't help me due to me not having a proper diagnosis. I am really struggling, but I keep getting refered to get tested for that and that, without receiving help. My GP literally told me my issues were too complicated and I wouldnt be able to find the root of the problem, especially not knowing my childhood. Is this normal? I feel so empty- my social life is a mess, my uni life is a mess, I wish I ever felt normal. Sure I've been depressed as long as I can remember, but even when I feel normal ish, like in the holiday break now" I am still the same "mess", and it feels just as bad, except from the intense mood swings and sadness of it all, as soon as I get back to uni, or work I get depressed again by how little I'm able to cope with this life, teachers and my boss being mad at me. It's so stupid, I love performing arts, I love my job- yet I fail at it, I just can't meet the expectations that is required of me I keep hearing, also that I'm unable to listen to people, me misinterpreting etc. it seems like I constantly get into trouble and it always seems to be my fault because of some silly mistake I did or if I said the wrong thing. It gets worse the older I get too (I'm 23). It just never ever ever stops, I feel like I keep trying to receive help but can't figure out whatever is wrong and I'm so close to failing my dream course at my dream uni due to lack of attendance as it all is giving me such anxiety or I literally forget to meet for class or work. sorry this was long! if you read it to the end, thanks for that! hugs

im sorry this is happening to you! Im only a first year at uni so i cant give you proper advice but what i can say is that the doctors cant say you dont have adhd if they say you're too problematic and they cant identify the problem :/// thats really unprofessional and sickening they would try and take on the problem like that, maybe look at people on youtube who give advice for people with adhd, although you arent diagnosed its not your fault since they arent properly doing their jobs. The advice i'd give you is get a diary and write down all your feelings and how your day goes, it makes me feel way better especially when im stressed for school and with family and friends. Icl uni is very tough but dont start giving up! You'll thank yourself when you're older. Dont start giving up!!
Reply 2
Hi, I’m sorry to hear you are struggling. I find what you’re saying very relatable r.e the depression, struggling to cope, mood swings etc. I have an ADHD diagnosis and suspect that I have Autism (level 1). Please take my advice with a pinch of salt. I’m not an expert and am struggling with uni myself… From my perspective in the long run it seems it could help to speak to a different GP and go over all your issues with them to see if they have any suggestions. Also, to see if there is anyone else you know (and trust) apart from your parents who could provide evidence? That could be helpful if you decide to get another assessment… It may be unusual that you can’t remember your childhood well, depending on how severely. It could be learning difficulties, memory loss, trauma etc. It’s strange your doctor didn’t investigate. Perhaps bring it up to a doctor as a specific issue. If you aren’t able to provide information about your experience in childhood that could hinder the Autism/ ADHD diagnosis (annoyingly). Also- this may not apply to you but just incase- if you have problems with processing instructions/ sound it could be worth looking into auditory dyslexia or auditory processing disorders….Getting a diagnosis and getting it connected to uni services can take AN AGE if you aren’t lucky. So some more short term solutions could be:
If there is a generalised counselling service at your uni that might be helpful to try in terms of depression and anxiety, plus they could offer you advice about ADHD and Autism services. Or you could pay for counselling if you can afford lol.
It’s also worth knowing that many social groups for autistic and neurodivergent people do not require a formal diagnosis to attend and these can help a lot to find a community who is understanding and for advice ( and many are free).
Your uni may provide extensions for deadlines based on mitigating circumstances. If you need to apply for this at any point then a note from the doctor about your anxiety/ mood symptoms or a note from a counsellor would help in the meantime since diagnosis can be a long process...Be kind to yourself, it is hard being disabled in this society where support can be hard and draining to access. You are doing well to keep seeking help! It takes time but it is worth it 🙂 and you are not alone in your experiences
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest