The Student Room Group

Should I tell a teacher about my mental health? Will they tell my parents?

I've been wanting to talk to a teacher I know about my mental health as they pulled me out of class about it a while ago (teachers said they thought I was struggling) but I denied everything.

I've dealt with bad mental health for a while now but recently it's been getting really bad and I just need to tell someone.

I want to tell them but I'm worried they'll tell my parents about everything I say and I don't want my parents to know.
Original post by Anonymous
I've been wanting to talk to a teacher I know about my mental health as they pulled me out of class about it a while ago (teachers said they thought I was struggling) but I denied everything.

I've dealt with bad mental health for a while now but recently it's been getting really bad and I just need to tell someone.

I want to tell them but I'm worried they'll tell my parents about everything I say and I don't want my parents to know.

If you speak to a teacher, they shouldn't tell your parents if you don't want to but if there are certain issues they may have to tell people in order to keep you safe.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1

yeah echoing the other reply, they'll only have to tell someone else if they believe you are in danger or think that you are a danger to others. they'll usually tell you beforehand what they'll say and you can ask for certain things to be omitted. otherwise, definitely do speak to someone!! really hope it gets better for you op <3
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hey there,

Being a student can be tough, when you're struggling with your own mental health and trying to keep on top of work and deadlines. If you feel like you need to talk to someone and you don't want that person to be your parents, it's definitely good to speak to your teacher, or someone in the student support team at your university who might be able to offer advice. If you tell them you want this to be confidential, they will keep it to themselves unless they think you're in danger.

Don't let things build up - the teaching staff are there to help you! 😊

Thanks,
N

Quick Reply

Latest