The Student Room Group

Anxiety is effecting my life what can I do?

I am 20 and I work at a hospital as a radiology assistant and I don't feel I am very good at my job. I mainly work in the ultrasound side of it assisting the sonographers with their scans. I can't explain why but I just get so anxious when doing it particularly before I get to work once I arrive I am usually ok depending on what room I am in and who I am with. I is so embarrassing knowing all the other assistants can do it with ease and I can't. I am also autistic and my interests are also extremely limited and unusual. I can also barely hold a conversation with anyone. It is just so embarrassing that other people can do these things with ease and effortlessly. So why can't I? Sorry if this is a bit of a rant but it is how I feel at the moment.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
I am 20 and I work at a hospital as a radiology assistant and I don't feel I am very good at my job. I mainly work in the ultrasound side of it assisting the sonographers with their scans. I can't explain why but I just get so anxious when doing it particularly before I get to work once I arrive I am usually ok depending on what room I am in and who I am with. I is so embarrassing knowing all the other assistants can do it with ease and I can't. I am also autistic and my interests are also extremely limited and unusual. I can also barely hold a conversation with anyone. It is just so embarrassing that other people can do these things with ease and effortlessly. So why can't I? Sorry if this is a bit of a rant but it is how I feel at the moment.

Hello,
I hope you are well.
I am disabled as well and I understand how uncertain can be to deal with presures like this at work.
I am not an expert as I am doing ICT as a degree. You should be able to apply for an access to work grant and get a support worker, that should help you deal with these presures.
I am happy for you to contact me if you need to chat with someone.
Kind regards.

Hi I'm also autistic,
I'm 19 and in my first year of uni so don't have the experience in the work place but the communication is still a struggle.
Does the work place know that your autistic and if so have they provided any adjustments or support. If they don't know I realise it is daunting to inform them but it might help with support in the best place.
Also if they do know and haven't offered support there are many different charities that can help which one again is scary reaching out to them and arranging all of this but should help in the long run.
Something that has helped me at uni with the communication is they have autistic support groups that offer support and just a chill environment and makes you feel less alone. I realise you aren't at uni but are there any support groups run in the local area that you could attend and would that be something you would want to do.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hi I'm also autistic,
I'm 19 and in my first year of uni so don't have the experience in the work place but the communication is still a struggle.
Does the work place know that your autistic and if so have they provided any adjustments or support. If they don't know I realise it is daunting to inform them but it might help with support in the best place.
Also if they do know and haven't offered support there are many different charities that can help which one again is scary reaching out to them and arranging all of this but should help in the long run.
Something that has helped me at uni with the communication is they have autistic support groups that offer support and just a chill environment and makes you feel less alone. I realise you aren't at uni but are there any support groups run in the local area that you could attend and would that be something you would want to do.

Thank you. I have tried an online support group and it wasn't much good. When I told my manager that I was autistic all she said was "aren't we all?". When working with different sonographers I usually tell them and the majority of them are ok with it. I would like a badge that says it so people don't think I am nervous when I am not. I don't like this "everyone is a little bit autistic" though.
Thank you. I have tried an online support group and it wasn't much good. When I told my manager that I was autistic all she said was "aren't we all?". When working with different sonographers I usually tell them and the majority of them are ok with it. I would like a badge that says it so people don't think I am nervous when I am not. I don't like this "everyone is a little bit autistic" though.

I'm sorry that the online support group wasn't much good I guess my favourite part is the things like crafs which don't work online and were all uni students which helps with a starting point
Thats horrible with what the manager said, that makes it so much harder and I'm sorry that they don't provide any help. I don't have the experience of the workplace so don't know if there is but is there anything that can be made with the HR department like a support plan or something similar which makes them have to provide support.

With the badge I have a sunflower lanyard (hidden disability) with my uni ID so that members of staff might understand why I need more time and that has worked well, you could also get a little badge for your lanyard that says your autistic if you think that would help

Hello there.

I can totally relate- I had a rather unconventional childhood to say the least and as a result anxiety has been a factor throughout my entire life to date. I can explain by way of illustration: can you imagine being a grown adult and nearly totally unable to make a telephone conversation? As a teenager of say 13-14, I couldn't so much as enter a shop on my own. You can imagine how successful I was in any kind of social interaction and, dating? Well that just didn't happen for me basically.

Anyway, I have worked in healthcare extensively for a long time and in a range of environments, some of them high acuity or highly challenging. I can tell you without hesitation that a sizeable portion of the people you work amongst will have similar 'character-isms' which are just part and parcel of who they are. The reality is that there is no such thing as 'normal' and everyone has a variety of character traits and behaviours. This isn't something to be ashamed of, it is just what comprises that diverse range of individuals we collectively call 'people'.

In your situation you may find that actually speaking to your other colleagues about this will help you- you will not be alone in this. You may also find that speaking with your GP or a private counselling service might be worthwhile.

When anxiety is not cool is when it begins to affect your wellbeing, your health, your mind, your sleep or encroaches on activities you would normally enjoy. Be mindful of it and know when to seek assistance with it. It's not something anyone need suffer from alone.

I myself have gone from a person who avoided social interaction and public places through various jobs, one of which involved being on the telephone to clients and suppliers literally all day every day and now I am meeting with, consulting and dealing with multiple patients and their families on a daily basis. I guess it's almost through exposure therapy- I literally had no choice, I just had to grow and develop over time and you can, too.

Healthcare is a team game. You are in an environment populated nearly entirely by people who chose to work in that situation because they get satisfaction from helping other people. You are entirely in the correct and safest possible place to be. Speak to your colleagues, interact with them, develop yourself and grow over time. If I managed it then I'd argue nearly anyone can. Having a diagnosis is one thing, but defining your entire life by it is another. I know this advice will sound a lot easier to say than to do, but what have you got to lose by giving it a try?
Reply 6

you need to speak to HR......... There is currently a big push to help people with neurodivergency within the NHS. your managers comments are in reality bullying, discrimination and in direct conflict with the ethos of inclusivity. Im not saying make a big deal about it but i am saying that you do need an advocate....and your manager needs diversity training!!!
I understand. You feel anxious and struggle in your role. It's okay to feel anxious. Many do. Comparing yourself won't help.Understand your triggers: When and with whom does anxiety peak?Focus on strengths: Everyone has different strengths. Find yours and develop them.Seek support: Talk to colleagues, supervisors, or therapists for strategies and encouragement.Remember, professional help is always an option. You're not alone.

Quick Reply

Latest