The Student Room Group

Kallisto's Sunday Question: Pride

This poll is closed

Do you think that you can be proud of yourself?

Yes! 67%
No! 33%
Not sure0%
Total votes: 9
It is not a sunny day, but Sunday! :redface: and here it comes, the second poll this week!

People made a great or even amazing performance in a competition, in a match, in life or just in exams and appreciate it for themselves. Or just were so happy for another people's achievements and felt pride.

Questions for everyone who likes to answer:

Was there a thing you have done to be proud of yourself?
Do you ever got the appreciation for anything you have done?
Have you ever felt pride for another people?
Do you think that pride can be a bad character trait under certain circumstances?
Have you ever felt embarrassed for anyone in the public?
Doing well at school.

Yes.

Yes.

Do you think that pride can be a bad character trait
under certain circumstances?
I dont think being proud of yourself can be a bad trait.

Yes.
Original post by Wired_1800
Doing well at school.

Yes.

Yes.

Do you think that pride can be a bad character trait
under certain circumstances?
I dont think being proud of yourself can be a bad trait.

Yes.

Don't you think that pride can be changed to arrogance, if someone is too self-confident for the achievements or performances he or she had done?
Original post by Kallisto
Don't you think that pride can be changed to arrogance, if someone is too self-confident for the achievements or performances he or she had done?

I dont think so. If they achieved it and worked hard for it, they should be proud or arrogant about it. It is their hardwork and sweat.
No.
I do sometimes celebrate achievements and special events.
But I'm not into any pride or respect agendas regardless of the context.

Yes, sometimes.

No.
I have felt admiration and a sense of satisfaction.

Do you think that pride can be a bad character trait under certain circumstances?
Yes, I consider pride and being 'loud & proud' like a peacock the very worst characteristics that a person can have.
From what I've seen being prideful is usually accompanied by a massive ego that includes immense arrogance and more entitlement than common sense.

Yes.
Particularly when there's a karaoke event.
Or there's a delusional parent/pet owner who believes that their out of control little "baby" is perfect and so wonderful that every random stranger will adore them just as much as they do.
Reply 6
I think that pride as seems to be understood here (there are lots of contextual meanings) is just about always a defect in character.

I used to be quite proud as a younger man and it led to lots of scrapes. The thing with being proud is that pride gets dented. Similarly, I now don't feel much sense of pride at all, either in myself or the stuff I've done. I enjoy doing things that challenge me, but I don't put much stock in them - they are just stuff I've done.

One thing I have thought about a lot lately is whether I feel pride in other people. Colloquially, I am 'proud' of my mrs, my brother etc but it's not 'pride' as I understood it as a younger man or as I understand it now. I find joy in their capabilities and achievement; a sense of satisfaction as londnmyst says above, but to my mind that is different. I am actually quite close to @londonmyst on all of this stuff, I think we see it in a similar way.

I still drift now and again - nobody is perfect. But largely, pride isn't part of my life any more and I feel all the better for that.
Totally had moments I'm proud of, like acing a presentation. Appreciation? Hell yeah, got some pats on the back. And definitely felt proud seeing friends rock their goals! Pride's cool, but yeah, too much can get tricky. Like, don't wanna be that person flexing all the time. And embarrassed for someone publicly?

Quick Reply

Latest