The Student Room Group

Kallisto's Sunday Question: Authors

Poll

Who is/are your favorite author/s (3 votes!)

It is Sunday and I accomplish a desire: @londonmyst wished a poll about authors and here we go! there are so many books to read and everyone of us have a different taste. But there is one thing avid readers have in common: looking for a good story and authors they are connected with.

My questions:

Do you read many books in a year?
What is your favorite genre?
Do you know a good book you want to recommend?
What was the worst book you have read so far?
Who is the worst author you know?
(edited 5 months ago)
Sometimes

What is your favourite genre?
Fiction

Books by Jeffrey Archer

None really.

Don't know
Original post by Wired_1800
Sometimes

What is your favourite genre?
Fiction

(...)

What I would love to know: did you ever read a book that counts to classic?
Original post by Kallisto
What I would love to know: did you ever read a book that counts to classic?

My favourite book is The Godfather by Mario Puzo
Yes, I read hundreds of ebook and print books.

For fiction probably history fiction, thrillers and mystery.
For non-fiction, memoir and true crime.
I enjoy all genres except science fiction and military equipment focused non-fiction.

Fabulous Finn: The Brave Police Dog Who Came Back from the Brink by Dave Wardell.

In the Pleasure Groove: Love, Death and Duran Duran by John Taylor.

Famous deceased author, El Ron (L Ron Hubbard).
Author I know personally, Eric Koetting.
Original post by londonmyst
Yes, I read hundreds of ebook and print books.

For fiction probably history fiction, thrillers and mystery.
For non-fiction, memoir and true crime.
I enjoy all genres except science fiction and military equipment focused non-fiction.

Fabulous Finn: The Brave Police Dog Who Came Back from the Brink by Dave Wardell.

In the Pleasure Groove: Love, Death and Duran Duran by John Taylor.

Famous deceased author, El Ron (L Ron Hubbard).
Author I know personally, Eric Koetting.

You seem to be very into literature. No wonder that you wished it for a poll. Same last question to you: do you know a good - in the sense of well written - book that counts to English classic?

Original post by Wired_1800
My favourite book is The Godfather by Mario Puzo

The book based on the same-named Trilogy? do you have seen the three films and if so, is the book better than Coppola's adaption?
The book based on the same-named Trilogy? do you have seen the three films and if so, is the book better than Coppola's adaption?

I have read the book and have seen the triology. I prefer the film. Best triology ever for me.
You seem to be very into literature. No wonder that you wished it for a poll. Same last question to you: do you know a good - in the sense of well written - book that counts to English classic?

Some great English classics are:
A Tale Of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, Clarissa by Samuel Richardson, Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen, The Man of Property by John Galsworthy and The Tenant Of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte.
Yes, I try to get through at least one a week. I normally have a few ebooks saved on my phone so I can get through a few chapters if I'm on public transport or waiting anywhere. For some things I prefer to have the actual physical copy though.

Fantasy, horror & some science fiction.
I also enjoy non fiction & like to expand my knowledge on history, science/futurism & spirituality/ personal development

Priory of the Orange Tree- Samantha Shannon

Hard to say because I tend not to finish books I dislike.

Theodore Beale aka Vox Day, both for being a really bad writer & his appalling views & behaviour
Reply 10

Tons. I read at home, in work (time allowing) and on the commute.

Philosophy, probably. But then I do read a lot of history because my research interests tend to go hand in hand with it. I only read fiction as and when these days. I am making an effort to get back into fiction.

Loads, but not many people will be interested in that unless I am teaching them :lol:

I found Brian Cox's E=mc2 to be very condescending in tone and didn't finish it because of that. I hated LotR and thought Anna Karenina was a but overhyped (I prefer Tolstoy's more outwardly moralistic, provocative stuff - a controversial opinion).

Well. I don't know what I could pick. I suppose I have a special disdain for Eckhart Tolle and Deepak Chopra.

Just to begin, I voted JK Rowling because I went thru that Harry Potter faze like most and love her writing. I dont like her as a person cos unfortunately she's a transphobe and I cant get behind people like that but I do love Harry Potter. Its actually very frustrating.

Anyway in terms of the questions:
Do you read many books in a year? Not sure - --lots though, i love reading and that feeling of escapism when i get my nose into a good thriller.

What is your favorite genre? YA thrillers mostly, but areas of fantasy, non-fiction and classics are also genres that appeal to me.

Do you know a good book you want to recommend? Well, not sure about 1 singular book - but y'all should check out A Good Girls Guide to Murder trilogy if youre into mysteries - its so bloody good!

What was the worst book you have read so far? probably Rock Paper Scissors, it was a YA book set in Ireland but it was really clumsily written in my opinion. not sure who the author is..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending