The Student Room Group

Why is everyone vaping these days????

I mean everyone from 9 year old kids to literal adults!! I know it’s cheaper than smoking and stuff but srsly it’s literally more common than chewing gum. It’s like this whole new trend and I feel like the govt should really intervene to end this epidemic.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by burberry_butter
I mean everyone from 9 year old kids to literal adults!! I know it’s cheaper than smoking and stuff but srsly it’s literally more common than chewing gum. It’s like this whole new trend and I feel like the govt should really intervene to end this epidemic.

100%. I feel like a lot of teens vape to become popular and fit in with other kids. I understand that adults may want to do it, but 10 yrs old is crazy. It needs to stop as they are too young to know the consequences of it.

You didn't list any negatives? so you want it banned just because its popular?
Reply 3
Original post by StriderHort

most vapes contain nicotine an addictive substance, and typically for younger children it is a stepping stone to more harmful substances such as cigarettes, weed and harder substances. vapes are a relatively new thing, so the long term consequences have not been mapped out like cigs. the fact that there are like 2k chemicals used to make watermelon flavoured vape is funny, especially since they are unidentified chemicals.
Reply 4

Yeah, I agree. It's so awful when teenagers use vapes to make themselves look cooler and older. It's like no one understands the harm it does to their health. Both adults and teenagers need to take more care of their health. But in reality, everyone has to decide for themselves what is better and what is worse.
The BBC had an article last year saying that it is a lot more dangerous than people think. Our lungs are not made to inhale anything else than air and anything else harms the body.

Ban disposable vapes to protect children - doctors
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-65809924
Original post by vegan20
most vapes contain nicotine an addictive substance, and typically for younger children it is a stepping stone to more harmful substances such as cigarettes, weed and harder substances. vapes are a relatively new thing, so the long term consequences have not been mapped out like cigs. the fact that there are like 2k chemicals used to make watermelon flavoured vape is funny, especially since they are unidentified chemicals.

If we aren't banning cigarettes with nicotine, there isn't much justification from banning it from vapes. Not to say nicotine is good, but that's not the bit that messes you up and getting over nicotine withdrawal is actually pretty mild, it's the ingrained habit that hooks people. I also think claiming it's a gateway to drugs like heroin and cocaine is a bit of a stretch.

I would agree with many that the appeal to and use by kids is a problem, but that comes down to weaknesses in retail and parenting in allowing access, clamp down on those first imo before blanket bans for all.

No, ofc the negatives are pretty obvious. But I do find it very strange how normalised this has become.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 8
i find it strange that children/teenagers would think they look 'cool' while they're vaping. it looks silly to me. if the point is to look cool, then cigarettes all the way.
If we aren't banning cigarettes with nicotine, there isn't much justification from banning it from vapes. Not to say nicotine is good, but that's not the bit that messes you up and getting over nicotine withdrawal is actually pretty mild, it's the ingrained habit that hooks people. I also think claiming it's a gateway to drugs like heroin and cocaine is a bit of a stretch.

I would agree with many that the appeal to and use by kids is a problem, but that comes down to weaknesses in retail and parenting in allowing access, clamp down on those first imo before blanket bans for all.

Do you not think that the amount of people being affected by vaping is much more significant than smoking? The health implications are far more likely within society as a whole. When I literally go to a library people are vaping across from me (which obvs they’re not supposed to; but this is clearly getting out of control). I think it’s ridiculous and feel as though there needs to be some intervention or at least education on the matter. I do think restrictions should be imposed as I find the matter too serious to be ignored.

Edit: the government is seeking to ban disposable vapes within 2024. YAY!
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 10
not that I'm promoting cigarettes but let's be real here. one looks cool and one looks like you're puffing on a children's toy
Do you not think that the amount of people being affected by vaping is much more significant than smoking? The health implications are far more likely within society as a whole. When I literally go to a library people are vaping across from me (which obvs they’re not supposed to; but this is clearly getting out of control). I think it’s ridiculous and feel as though there needs to be some intervention or at least education on the matter. I do think restrictions should be imposed as I find the matter too serious to be ignored.

If you want to talk education and regulation I'm on board, I definitely feel they are being outright aimed at children now and feel there should be extra restriction there, or at least enforce the sales and marketing regs we already have more (but under little illusion that determined teens won't find a way)

I also agree with the disposable ones as they are a wasteful menace, going over them in a lawnmower is damn terrifying.
Reply 12

How might you figuratively go to the library?
Original post by gjd800
How might you figuratively go to the library?

I just go, like literally…not figuratively.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by gjd800
Right. So adding 'literally' in is superfluous

Who cares? I mean I find it irritating but not as much as people vaping or worse smoking and me being forced to inhale it.
Reply 15
Original post by BreadForce
Who cares? I mean I find it irritating but not as much as people vaping or worse smoking and me being forced to inhale it.

If you care not, reply not.
Original post by gjd800
Right. So adding 'literally' in is superfluous

Idk why you asked ‘how might I figuratively go to the library?’ Your q and language is what is superfluous. I was saying that people can go to the library without other people vaping around them which they shouldn’t be doing anyway. We do not figuratively go to the library. We just go.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by gjd800

No, they don’t care about the language choice, but how people should not be vaping in public libraries.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by gjd800

Exactly, I didn't care enough about the language used to complain about and I didn't. What I want to complain about is vaping as I find it disgusting and I hope people soon aren't allowed to vape in public just like they aren't to smoke.
No, they don’t care about the language choice, but how people should not be vaping in public libraries.

Exactly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending