The Student Room Group

Does mental health count as access? Access grades UCAS

I've had struggles with mental health thes past few years and so my grades aren't as high as I would've liked but I've noticed I'd be okay is I applied through access, would mental health reasons be allowed for access grades?
Reply 1
Anyone have anything about this?
Reply 2
Do you mean an access to Higher Education one year course? Or a contextual offer for a degree course? I think anyone can do an access to Higher Education course. You might be able to get a contextual offer for a degree course, universities differ a bit on what they give contextual offers for - do you have a diagnosis? That might help (but I'm only guessing there).
Reply 3
Original post by JackSan123
Do you mean an access to Higher Education one year course? Or a contextual offer for a degree course? I think anyone can do an access to Higher Education course. You might be able to get a contextual offer for a degree course, universities differ a bit on what they give contextual offers for - do you have a diagnosis? That might help (but I'm only guessing there).

I mean an offer for a university course. I did my A-levels in 2021 and got AAB. I was targeted A*AA but my mental health was significantly affected by COVID which impact my grades. I've dropped out of uni (due to mental health) since then but would like to reapply, my grades aren't exactly where I want them to be for some of the courses I'm looking at so I was wondering if I'd be able to apply using their access grades instead of the normal entry requirements.
Reply 4
Do you have a diagnosis? I think it might be tricky without one as otherwise everyone could blame their grades on poor mental health if they didn't get what they wanted. You could contact the uni's you're interested in to check though.
Reply 5
Do you have a diagnosis? I think it might be tricky without one as otherwise everyone could blame their grades on poor mental health if they didn't get what they wanted. You could contact the uni's you're interested in to check though.

I don't have a diagnosis but I'm looking to get one. But I'm not sure if they'd factor that in for my A-level grades considering I didn't have one when I did my A-levels
Reply 6

Contacting them is a good idea, I'll have a go at that
Reply 7
@UCAS @UCAS advisor @UCAS HELP would anyone be able to advise on this?

Quick Reply

Latest