The Student Room Group
College motto
Royal Veterinary College
London

Royal Veterinary College - Biological sciences help

Hey guys,

I am currently in my first year at RVC for BSc Animal Biology, and I am struggling to find learning resources that would be useful for studying biological sciences. I was wondering if anyone have anything on this topic (websites, links, flashcards, book recs, essay writing recs, maybe something on past papers)

Anything would be really appreciated! Thanks!
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hey guys,

I am currently in my first year at RVC for BSc Animal Biology, and I am struggling to find learning resources that would be useful for studying biological sciences. I was wondering if anyone have anything on this topic (websites, links, flashcards, book recs, essay writing recs, maybe something on past papers)

Anything would be really appreciated! Thanks!

Hi sorry to jump in but I have had an offer from RVC for wildlife science. I had originally put this as a fifth choice on my UCAS application as I have applied for vet science. This is my second application round as I missed my grades for vet science last year.so now resitting A levels and I am now seriously considering the wildlife science degree as it looks really interesting. I have also looked into RVC as a university and the accommodation looks great! Can you let me have your thoughts please as a current student? Thank you ☺️
College motto
Royal Veterinary College
London
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hi sorry to jump in but I have had an offer from RVC for wildlife science. I had originally put this as a fifth choice on my UCAS application as I have applied for vet science. This is my second application round as I missed my grades for vet science last year.so now resitting A levels and I am now seriously considering the wildlife science degree as it looks really interesting. I have also looked into RVC as a university and the accommodation looks great! Can you let me have your thoughts please as a current student? Thank you ☺️

Hey, yeah sure. So technically, all the Biological sciences courses study kind of linearly (one module at a time, ~3 modules/term, with a reading week and exam week mid-term) - from studying the cell to genetics, development, physiology, body systems, and diseases. Each module consists of one assessment (essay / lab report), which is 33% of the module mark, while the exam is 66%. You also get to do video presentations and group work with others from your group tutorial. All these courses (bioscience, wildlife, animal bio, biovet) are similar, so you go to lectures with other bio sciences students from your cohort as well (along with the vetmed gateway students in the 1st year).

Good: tutors are great; lecture and labs are quite enjoyable; i see now the reputation in research RVC has, you do have to know how to write academically (they do offer some help with this though); the food places within the campus are cheap; the campus is nice and safe; there are many international students (many from USA) - as it is one of the unis that targets them

Bad (imo!): the portal is a bit annoying (but manageable nonetheless); the accom is not worth it for the price - Camden can be good for night life though; it does have a stronger reputation for vet med (much more students than biosciences), so maybe not that high-placed in top charts for their bioscience courses

I think their Wildlife course is kind of new, but i imagine it would be modules from biological science, with thematic wildlife projects and essays, and also 'Intro to wildlife animals' and other such modules from the 2nd year. I think I might have read these students have free entry to the London zoo for research purposes...?

I guess it's all about preference. Some students didn't have RVC as their first choice, but missed their grades and got here. Some people like the focus on research the uni has. Some people want to continue for the accelerated vet med course afterwards. Some people like the placement year options (many students hete as well). Some people like how well-accredited the uni is and its international reputation, which is good for job opportunities in other countries. Some people like London as well, it's quite nicer than expected.

I hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending