The Student Room Group

Advice with imposter syndrome

I'm 21 and currently a second year Computer Science student at a Russell Group university. I started Uni in 2020 during covid, but my mental health really deteriorated and I failed a module and also the resit for it, so I took a year out and then came back to uni in 2022 and repeated year 1.

I get mostly average grades now, but I always feel like I don't deserve to be here and that everyone around me is smarter than me, especially because I got in during covid where Unis were being more lenient with accepting applicants. I do struggle to motivate myself to study, especially when the content I study is so hard.
Moreover, I always do well when doing past papers and my knowledge about all my modules seems to be solid, but for some reason I am terrible at exams and kick myself for getting something basic wrong or doubting myself and changing my answers (most of the time my initial answers turn out to be correct).

I am in therapy and have been trying to work on my confidence issues, but I still feel defeated and quite low. Exam period is always incredibly stressful for me. I also have ADHD (which got diagnosed in 2021), so trying to focus is really hard anyway but gets a lot worse when I am under pressure so I end up messing up everything.

Anyone have any advice on how to deal with imposter syndrome and feeling like no matter how much effort you put in, it won't be enough?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm 21 and currently a second year Computer Science student at a Russell Group university. I started Uni in 2020 during covid, but my mental health really deteriorated and I failed a module and also the resit for it, so I took a year out and then came back to uni in 2022 and repeated year 1.

I get mostly average grades now, but I always feel like I don't deserve to be here and that everyone around me is smarter than me, especially because I got in during covid where Unis were being more lenient with accepting applicants. I do struggle to motivate myself to study, especially when the content I study is so hard.
Moreover, I always do well when doing past papers and my knowledge about all my modules seems to be solid, but for some reason I am terrible at exams and kick myself for getting something basic wrong or doubting myself and changing my answers (most of the time my initial answers turn out to be correct).

I am in therapy and have been trying to work on my confidence issues, but I still feel defeated and quite low. Exam period is always incredibly stressful for me. I also have ADHD (which got diagnosed in 2021), so trying to focus is really hard anyway but gets a lot worse when I am under pressure so I end up messing up everything.

Anyone have any advice on how to deal with imposter syndrome and feeling like no matter how much effort you put in, it won't be enough?

Hi!
I'm sorry that you feel this way. I can completely understand the feeling of being behind your course mates - especially in a course like Computer Science.
It sounds like you might be setting very strict expectations for yourself, and focusing on your mistakes rather than progress and achievements (which is natural, to be fair).
My number one advice would be to go easier on yourself - I think because your standards for yourself are set quite high, you get very nervous to achieve anything below them, and you beat yourself up if you don't. It is great to aim high, but sometimes you also need to recognise that what you are doing is enough.
Computer science is a difficult course, and it is normal to be struggling. Coursework and exams are both very tough, so perhaps try to reflect not on just your final achievements, but also the progress you make. For example, if you sit down with an intention to write a function that performs a certain action but fail to do so, that's okay. You still made progress: you now know that the method you were using previously didn't work and maybe you spent some time reading online about it, so now you know more about the topic.

One tip for increasing your confidence when revising, is doing so in groups: your answers will be supported and/or completed/adjusted by your peers. Sometimes this gives a dangerous false illusion of knowing things you don't, but it might be beneficial in your case (use with caution).

Another thing I personally do, is reminding myself that even if I am not doing so well in one module - it is just one module, out of all of the year 2 and really exciting year 3 modules, so it is not the end of the world. Instead of kicking yourself for any mistakes, recognise that you've learnt something and strive to do better next time - the mindset of small progress and small increments instead of a huge victory.

Last note: people around you are not as good as they might seem. It is easy to compare yourself to the best ones and feel down, but remember that most people are also struggling with the course. It's something I've noticed about Computer Science as a student myself: there are a few really bright and advanced individuals who excel at the course and beyond it, and they usually attract the most attention. Therefore the majority assume that this is the benchmark and that they are behind, when in reality they are on the similar level to most others.

Anyways, your efforts are worth it. Recognise the progress you make and keep trying - you can do this!

Best of luck,
Polina.
Lancaster University SCC Student Ambassador.
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi!

I’m sorry you’ve been struggling with impostor syndrome. A lot of university students do struggle with this, so you really aren’t alone in that. Not only that, but some people are not as great at exams due to the high stress environment. It’s nothing to be ashamed about. You’re doing your absolute best and you should be proud of yourself.

Especially for continuing to go to therapy to work on your confidence issues. It is hard, but the fact you’ve been trying means you are worth everything you’ve achieved and what you will continue to achieve. Have you been getting management therapy for your ADHD?

Also, perhaps try to keep a journal where you write about your achievements, all the things you’re proud of that you’ve done, all the best things you like about yourself. Your impostor syndrome, if it comes from lack of confidence, can be helped if you start to believe in yourself

I hope this helps 😊

Estelle
Third Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending